logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#82122 2008-11-28 18:12
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Don't get excited. I'm just thinking out loud. If you were going to put together the ultimate home theater/surround sound system you would go with:

800
808.2
861
DSP8000 (7)
MP810 projector and processor

What's missing? A Blu-ray player. How in the world can you offer the world's best system and then put a $400 Pananonic BD55K in it? At the very least you are going to need a G-series Blu-ray player to match the 861/808.2. Is it that the M810 projector and processor can turn an SD-DVD into a Blu-ray equivalent? Meridian must know this, and I think we would be selling them short to think otherwise. I can't believe they won't offer one. I'm not counting on an announcement (much less a prototype) at CES, but surely by Q1 2010.

Not that I could afford any of it, but if you are going to claim (and be) the world's best, how could you possibly not offer one?


561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Frank; We dont get excited here... do we?

But you do make a very good point.

Cheers, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
The Oppo BDP-83 will be the one to beat. Yes, it will be beaten, but perhaps only in audio terms and, then, it might be close. I expect the Oppo to equal any Meridian offering in perceptable video quality and to beat the Meridian in terms of usability (unless Meridian really ups its game in this latter area).

The problem for Meridian is that HDMI, though far from perfect, opens up the Meridian architecture to 3rd party sources.

From my perspective the 808.2 is an anacronism in a modern system once the Meridian processors and all the 96/24 speakers get the apodizing upsampling filter. Perfectly ripped CDs on a music server? That's me...

Finally, I'm sure the M810 is good, but I'd need to see it to be convinced. I'm particularly interested in how clean the upscaling algorithm is. I'm also interested to know what the M810's video processor will do with all the non-1080p24 sources (the catalog is King, remember wink ). Would I need to stick a Lumagen Radiance in front of it?


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Originally Posted by VirusKiller
From my perspective the 808.2 is an anacronism in a modern system once the Meridian processors and all the 96/24 speakers get the apodizing upsampling filter. Perfectly ripped CDs on a music server? That's me...
Me too, but a lot of the people who can afford a complete Meridian audio/video solution are probably not the rip CDs to server type.

A Meridan Blu-ray player could take the place of the 800/808.2 for CD/SD-DVD/Blu-ray. Presumable it would be able to output 480i to the M810 video processor.


561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Frank
Originally Posted by VirusKiller
From my perspective the 808.2 is an anacronism in a modern system once the Meridian processors and all the 96/24 speakers get the apodizing upsampling filter. Perfectly ripped CDs on a music server? That's me...
Me too, but a lot of the people who can afford a complete Meridian audio/video solution are probably not the rip CDs to server type.

Only the non-geeky ones.

Mark

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by Frank
Presumable it would be able to output 480i to the M810 video processor.
Now here's the catch... Does the Meridian M810 processor do inverse 3:2 pulldown and genlock to achieve a smooth (large)p24 output? That is the level of the bar these days.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
VK:

I was looking at the front panel of the Oppo Blu-ray and noticed it lacked the DVD-Audio logo.

That could be a big "no sale" for me.


Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training.
---
861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 823
AFAIK, the inclusion of DVD-A is possible but not probable.

Kal


Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Kal:

I was really hoping to get down to 2 disc spinners. I might have to have three; but I'd rather not.

Of course if HTPC gets audio out via HDMI sorted out that could be my best solution.

Best,




Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training.
---
861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by John Kotches
I was looking at the front panel of the Oppo Blu-ray and noticed it lacked the DVD-Audio logo.

That could be a big "no sale" for me.
Yep. I pointed this out to Oppo as a "required" feature for me when I registered for information on their web site.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161
Likes: 4
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161
Likes: 4
+1

~M~


Mostly harmless. Comfortably numb.
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 416
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 416
Well that makes three of us on the planet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,179
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.057s Queries: 40 (0.031s) Memory: 0.8851 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 00:21:02 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS