logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#77514 2008-08-10 16:51
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 75
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 75
A while back, the Meridian firmware update for the G68 caused the optical input to mis-behave. I switched to an analogue connections to my Sky Plus Satellite box but understood this had been fixed and so switched back to an optical input the other day. While it seems much better than before, I've still had the G68 freeze up twice where volume doesn't work well and I can't change the input without turning the unit completely off at the switch on the back. Anyone had or having similar issues?

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 735
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 735
Have you downloaded latest SKY+ Vware?


518, 568.2, D6Ks, D6KC, iMac dual core, iTunes 10.1 (lossless), Apogee Duet, Kuro 500A, Logic Studio, Sound Devices 702.
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
Also make sure you completely loaded all the firmware. Use .mfp not .mfu. also try poor digital source option.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 75
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 75
Thanks for the suggestions. I know I've loaded the firmware correctly. I find selecting the poor digital source option results in unacceptable "popping" when changing channels etc.

I'll have to look into confirming the sky software but for now I've gone back to analogue inputs.

I'm pretty dissappointed with Meridian on this. It used to work fine for me with a Sky box and it hasn't ever since they made a firmware update.

Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
I wonder if this is the same problem I'm having with my legal (as I understand) Ripped DTS CD's on the SqueezeBox and Transporter. I get all sorts of nasty pops and clicks changing tracks and slow locks (which it not much different than you changing channels). It's (G68) never hung on me. But switching to poor digital source does help some. I had to set poor digital source on my DVR to prevent random dropouts.

I don't think it has anything to do with optical inputs although it is strange that Meridian did make changes specific to optical inputs. BUt I've had this problem forever. 861 did pop click less if I recall correctly.

I think Meridian "sources" are extra friendly (and slow) when changing tracks and interrupting/restarting bitstreams.

I posted the problem I have on slimdevices and Denon handles ripped DTS CD's streams just fine.

I realize this is a complex issue because if they fix one thing then folks complain about missing the start of track while it figures out what's safe. Or lipsync issues. I think DTS delay partly addresses this but they say not to use it with video streams and doesn't apply to DD. It also does not fix my issue. Only locking it to DTS stream fixes it which I don't wish to do and I don't wish to change sources due to changing a song.

Sorry if you think I stealing your thread but I have feeling it's related. It just doesn't gracefully handle "partial blocks" of bitstream data very gracefully and the FIFO does aggravate it.

So I do feel your pain.

I vote this issue be raised at CEDIA if possible. It's been an issue for a long time with various sources for various folks.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
I added the question to the QA Thread. See what you think and if it covers both our cases.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,014
The original problem referred to here is a Sky problem rather than a Meridian one

Sky are constantly updating the Software on their Boxes, sometimes for good and sometimes for bad.

Many times the Optical out of the Sky HD box just locks out and the only way to get it back is to reboot the box


-
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
The G68 Box should NEVER freeze, period. No matter what you feed it. That is the equivalent of the infamous Blue Screen of Death.

I've had problems with my DVR having audio drop outs. I disabled FIFO to improve it.

My squeezbox/transporter has slow locks, pops and cracks in bitstream material. While I know other folks with slim devices and japan made processors have no problem.

So yeah sure Sky may be bad but Meridian should handle it better.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
In the last but one f/w release there was an issue with the Optical handling. That was fixed in the last release IIRC. However, is it possible that there is still an issue in there ? Of course - yes.

I suggest that those with the issue clearly record what the issue is and when it occurs and send it into the HQ together with their config file. FWIW I am not getting any issues like this so it may be environmental (in the hifi sense) i.e. only with certain configs.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Ditto. I have SkyHD and a PS3 going optically into my G68 (latest firmware) and I've had no issues. But then I had no issues with the problem firmware...


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 465 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,181
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.059s Queries: 35 (0.024s) Memory: 0.8688 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 15:32:52 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS