logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#66866 2007-12-01 22:46
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
My system: 562v/565, DSP5k's l,c,r an Oppo 981H and a Pioneer 5070 plasma. When listening to CD's I have the 565 set to Trifield. The 5k's are 9 feet apart center to center so I'm getting good seperation but the center channel seems to dominate. I'm an old two channel guy so I may be missing the psycho acoustic effect of nothing in the middle and imagining the instrument placement in space. My listening position is about 12 feet from the 5000C. Any suggestions on how to tweak the 565 or center speaker so I get a more balanced soundstage? By the way, although I don't yet have rear speakers, the soundstage on Dolby sat tv and DVD's is great.

Ken


Main: G68J, 5K2s, 5Ks, HSU subs, Pio 151FD, Dish VP722, Roku, Wadia I70, Anti Mode Dual Core, Oppo 103D Vanity Lite
Office: SBT, Berkeley Alpha DAC 2/MQA, Magico S3 Mk II, Boulder 2060, Lumin U1 Mini streamer, Roon.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 250
Likes: 4
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 250
Likes: 4
It's all about the depth of the centre channel. Do a search through the forum and you'll find quite a bit on setting up Trifield.

Basically, to summarise these learned threads and my own experience, the centre channel snaps into place and 'disappears'when you get the depth right. The fact you can notice the centre channel suggests you haven't got it just yet. It's quite noticeable when you get ti right, it's not fluffy like the 565's phase settings.


Main system: 818v3, 861v6, HD621, Oppo 103D, DSP8000PP, DSP7200SE HC, DSP3200, SGR Sub
Family room: HD621, 861v6, DSP5200 L/C/R
Headphones: Schiit Mjolnir v1, Sennheiser HD800; (office) iFi iDSDPro, Focal Elegia
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
Beyond Mr Gimlet's advise, I assume you've calibrated?

For movies, the center will tend to dominate. For music it should disappear.



Last edited by George Mills; 2007-12-02 02:17.

- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
Yes, I calibrated. I'll do a search and see what I can find. So far though, I haven't been able to get the center channel to "click" using both depth and gain.


Main: G68J, 5K2s, 5Ks, HSU subs, Pio 151FD, Dish VP722, Roku, Wadia I70, Anti Mode Dual Core, Oppo 103D Vanity Lite
Office: SBT, Berkeley Alpha DAC 2/MQA, Magico S3 Mk II, Boulder 2060, Lumin U1 Mini streamer, Roon.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Hi, Are your Tweeters in line, this may help although I have no problems with my M33C under the TV. It has a plinth that angles it upwards.
Also, do you Toe in your main speakers? I do, sitting I see the Grills face on.
Have you set the Aspect Ratio correctly on the 565.

I am close to my speakers with the mains wide apart and use an aspect ratio of 0.5. This setting is important and may be worth playing with.

The thing with the 565 is that by the time you get it right, you will understand it fully although this may take some time. It is well worth the journey though.
Hi-Fi per � the 565 is a complete bargain.
A 518 may be of benefit as well. The ability to adjust Gain is a real boon.

+8 db for Freeview TV.
+5db for DAB Radio.
+0 to 3 for CD as required.

Get some rears as they pull the sound out and give a more 3 dimensional shape.
Then you can get the benefits of Mu-Logic etc.

When you find setting you like within Trifield, save them. CD1, CD2 etc
You will in time gavitate to the ones that most satify you.

Dont ignor setting like POP. I use a version of this for DAB Radio and have named it such.
In the finish it is down to your own personal tastes, but you will get it right in time.

These setting for me just get it perfect.

I hope this helps, Chris smile

Last edited by chrislayeruk; 2007-12-06 17:23.

No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
Well, just for drill I repeated the calibration and came up with the same settings with a delay of 0.5. My center is 140" from the listening position and my sides are 146". The book recommended adding .5 for a total of 1.0 so I did. The center was still way too dominate in Trifield with CD's so I started increasing the distance until I got to 3.0 and that helped quite a bit. I guess at this point it's just trial and error. By the way, when I make a change on the 565 how do I make it stick permantly? It seems to default to the original settings. I've read my installation guide carefully and I can't seem to find it.

Chris--thanks for the input. I tried toeing the sides in and that helped a bit too. My tweeters are pretty closely aligned. Unfortunately my room doesn't allow for rear speakers, either freestanding or wall mounted. I'm probably going to go with a couple of B&W ceiling speakers and a seperate amp. Next week a D2500 joins the party though.


Main: G68J, 5K2s, 5Ks, HSU subs, Pio 151FD, Dish VP722, Roku, Wadia I70, Anti Mode Dual Core, Oppo 103D Vanity Lite
Office: SBT, Berkeley Alpha DAC 2/MQA, Magico S3 Mk II, Boulder 2060, Lumin U1 Mini streamer, Roon.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Hi What about the Aspect Ratio?

You can save your own presets and it is in the manual.

You store it and then name it.

Good Hunting in the Manual, it is there.

Cheers, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
Chris,

I read and reread my installation guide and couldn't find how to store changes. I finally went to the library on M's website and discovered there is also a users guide which I downloaded. Whole bunce of new info to work with!

I don't know what my aspect ratio is but does it matter without rear speakers?


Main: G68J, 5K2s, 5Ks, HSU subs, Pio 151FD, Dish VP722, Roku, Wadia I70, Anti Mode Dual Core, Oppo 103D Vanity Lite
Office: SBT, Berkeley Alpha DAC 2/MQA, Magico S3 Mk II, Boulder 2060, Lumin U1 Mini streamer, Roon.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Without rears it may not appear. Get rears if you can, even small ones.
The aspect ratio is a method of telling the 565 what shap your listening zone is.
i.e. 'narrow and deep' to 'wide and shallow'.

Good luck, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Yes, aspect ratio is meaning less without rears and/or sides.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 249
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 249
Aspect Ratio is mainly used for Ambisonic since it has to know roughly how your speakers are laid out in order to recreate the original wavefronts encoded from its recording, which consists of only vectors. Trifield only does some ambiance extraction from the front channel and dump them into the side and rears. It doesn't try to use the rear/side speakers to create a 360 deg cohesive image.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Kswanson, Hi. I just found how to store pre sets on the 565. It is in the User Guide.

Basicaly you get a sound you like by adjusting parameters in any particular sound mode.
Then press Store to associate it with that input.

Then press Store again.
The display now shows the next available user preset.

Press Store again and the Character flashes, now you can start editing useing the arrows.

When finished, Press Store again and your done.

You can clear them as well, Good luck, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone


Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 292 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,204
Posts297,198
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.057s Queries: 39 (0.032s) Memory: 0.8823 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 23:34:34 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS