logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 107
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 107
I'll say first that while I've been a long time Meridian admirer, I've never been an owner. Truth be told, my heart belongs to Lexicon when it comes to surround tech. However, I do have a lot of respect for Meridian gear and especially the aesthetic design elements, mostly on the G series.

What brings me here is an interest in the F80. There really doesn't seem to be a comparable unit like it on the market from a well respected, high-end audio manufacturer. It seems that the US launch was a week or so ago at CEDIA and there are a few things about the unit that catch my eye. However, after scouring the net for info as well as reading through various posts here, I have a few questions. I realize that some of them may be unanswerable at this point, but I was wondering what prelim or even rumor info is out there. So, here goes:

- It looks like from the CEDIA press release that the US F80 is sans DAB functionality. That's understandable since DAB isn't used here. However, I saw brief mention here of adding HD Radio to the F80. Any details on that likelihood and, if so, a possible time frame?

- There also seems to be some sentiment that the F80 may be the first in a line of Meridian products. I think I read somewhere here that Bob himself had said as much. Any info out there about what else might be coming? I like the F80, but like some folks I don't have use for the video functionality. Also, while the IRIS will be available shortly, an integrated dock would be preferable as a truly transportable docking solution.

- One thing I haven't seen anywhere, and I've done a lot of searching, is the frequency response of the F80. Anyone know it, especially the low end? To that end I'd love to check out the user manual, but haven't found that online.

- As for the IRIS, it looks like it outputs an on-screen GUI and comes with its own remote. Ok, but what if you are just connecting it to the F80 without a display? Can you still use the iPod's own screen and menu? What, if any, controls or metadata is available from the F80's display when the IRIS is connected and an iPod in the dock? Obviously, you can connect an iPod to the F80 (preferably lineout via the dock connector) right now and control everything from the iPod, but I was wondering if the dock sent song tag info to the F80's display and allowed you to control playback from the F80. I realize that since the IRIS hasn't been released yet, no one may know but perhaps someone got to play with it at CEDIA...

Thanks for any and all info.

Jeff


Various
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Hi Jeff

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum. I have a few answers and comments that may help, but I suspect that you will struggle getting all your answers.

Originally Posted by Jeff
- It looks like from the CEDIA press release that the US F80 is sans DAB functionality. That's understandable since DAB isn't used here. However, I saw brief mention here of adding HD Radio to the F80. Any details on that likelihood and, if so, a possible time frame?
I don't know the technicalities of HD radio, but the fact that the F80 is basically has a PC style architecture (it runs FreeRTOS V3.0.0), then, if DAV and HD Radio are similar in hardware requirements it may simply be a matter of developing the relevant software.

Originally Posted by Jeff
- There also seems to be some sentiment that the F80 may be the first in a line of Meridian products. I think I read somewhere here that Bob himself had said as much. Any info out there about what else might be coming? I like the F80, but like some folks I don't have use for the video functionality. Also, while the IRIS will be available shortly, an integrated dock would be preferable as a truly transportable docking solution.
Yes, Bob said that the F80 was the start of a new line. But we don't know any more. The 80 of F80 may, being quite high numerically (from 0 to 100), mean that the F80 is quite well specified. As for an integrated iPod dock, I suspect the answer well be no. The chassis design of the F80 is critical to its performance, and I don't think that there would be any space for an integrated dock either. Plus, on a �1500/$3k unit, its would be a pretty expensive mistake if the design of the dock connector changed and that function would become obsolete.

Originally Posted by Jeff
- One thing I haven't seen anywhere, and I've done a lot of searching, is the frequency response of the F80. Anyone know it, especially the low end? To that end I'd love to check out the user manual, but haven't found that online.
No technical spec in the manual. But there is no shortage of low end. I suspect that Bob would argue that the numbers would not do it justice. Its possible that on paper the bottom end is not that great, but the DSP works around this.

Originally Posted by Jeff
- As for the IRIS, it looks like it outputs an on-screen GUI and comes with its own remote. Ok, but what if you are just connecting it to the F80 without a display? Can you still use the iPod's own screen and menu? What, if any, controls or metadata is available from the F80's display when the IRIS is connected and an iPod in the dock? Obviously, you can connect an iPod to the F80 (preferably lineout via the dock connector) right now and control everything from the iPod, but I was wondering if the dock sent song tag info to the F80's display and allowed you to control playback from the F80. I realize that since the IRIS hasn't been released yet, no one may know but perhaps someone got to play with it at CEDIA...
In February, it was mentioned that there would be a specific F80 iPod dock. But that was a long time ago so it may have changed [John Kotches may have more info when he updates the Cedia Q&A). I have in my mind that the iPod controls would be visible on the F80 display. To be honest, what I would like is a simple iPod to F80 cable - one that has audio, power and on control/osd but allowed me to use my existing docking station.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 107
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 107
Ian,

Thanks for the reply. I figured that, at this point, detailed info would be hard to come by. However, you gave me some helpful information. Like you, I like the idea of having iPod metadata and controls available on the F80. We'll have to see if the IRIS will provide that or not.

I'm thinking that I may give Meridian USA a call on Monday. Hopefully, they'll have some info on any possible HD Radio integration and especially, info on how IRIS interfaces with the F80. You know, their US HQ is only about 40 minutes or so away from me, so I wonder if it would be possible to check out the new dock in person since it isn't out in the field yet. grin

By the way, I'll hopefully also get a chance to listen to B&W's new Zeppelin iPod dock this week. It's due to be released on the 18th and will be displayed in 40 Apple stores here in the US. I'd bet that the main Atlanta store will be one of them, so hopefully they'll have it this week. While it's not in the same category as the F80, it certainly is a higher end dock solution.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff; 2007-09-16 19:18.

Various
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 107
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 107
Well, I was able to get a bit of info from Meridian. According to them, the US F80 will not support HD Radio but that support for it may come with a future product (no elaboration on what kind of product and when). As for the IRIS dock, it will indeed transmit metadata to the F80's display. You will also be able to navigate the iPod's menu from the F80 display and control playback using the F80's buttons.

While still not an ideal one piece solution, at least the implementation with IRIS sounds good. Now we'll just have to see how well it works in practice when it launches in November.

Jeff


Various
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 691
Likes: 4
Formerly Meridian506
Paranoid android
Formerly Meridian506
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 691
Likes: 4
I'm suprised that DAB isn't enabled on the US F80s, as they use DAB in Canada don't they? It would be nice to have on our short trips over the border.


Living room: DSP5000.3
WFH Office: M33
Bedroom: P200ZQ

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,181
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.050s Queries: 25 (0.022s) Memory: 0.8457 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 21:26:26 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS