|
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17 |
Mark-H, understand your point with the SB3 and others in digital, however the Transporter also sells the "value" of their DACs in this higher priced model. Many people buy the Transporter for the highend DAC. My comment is for those considering it for analogue.
Viper
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
|
|
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88 |
Viper - Absolutely. Many of us have been hoping for a digital-only (DAC-free) version of the Transporter with an ultra-low jitter output. I'd buy one - looks seriously cool in my sad opinion!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87 |
VK,
I've just ordered the digital only SB+. Even if there was an equivilant Transporter I don't like how it looks. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it......
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 254
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 254 |
If it's of any interest I have both an SB+ and a modified Transporter. In terms of value-for-money the SB+ takes some beating, I paid very nearly 3x the price of the SB+ for the Transporter, the improvement was marginal, but worthwhile as I wanted the digital inputs. I can now retire my CD player.
Regards Gary
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
I believe that Bob has commented that the 808 benefitted sonically from going 'back to basics' (my words not his) ie lack of video circuitry within the unit.
By inference, something with high levels of internal 'noise', ie a PC, would not cut the mustard. Even though the 800/808/861 is probably more PC than traditional HiFi, but it is optimised (at hardware and software levels) as a piece of audio kit rather than a general purpose computer.
How much of a difference this 'noise' makes to digital and analogue output would vary from application to application.
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
|
|
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653 Likes: 1 |
For me, the most exciting thing about the Squeezebox revolution was the outstanding quality (via digital) it delivered for such a low price compared to traditional transports. I therefore have a strong resistance to the Transporter - Slim Devices noticed the success in audiophile circles and decided to jump on the high-end (cost) bandwagon...
Mark
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702 Likes: 13
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702 Likes: 13 |
I have a SB3 and G98DH, both hooked by SPDIF to a G68ADV. I've followed carefully the ripping for best quality sound advice listed on this site. Neither sources have any modifications from stock. Having done a few comparisons where I cued up a CD on the G98 and SB3 to be able to flip back and forth, I must say that I agree with Viper's conclusions. I think the SB3 is a superb value for money, and definitely has a big advantage in convenience features once you have the music ripped. On the other hand, it's a pain to rip the CD's (particularly using the best sound quality guidelines), there can be minor PC type problems (ex. having to restart the server after Windows downloads updates and restarts) and, to my ear, the G98 still has the edge for sweetness, air and definition. I think the SB3 is great for background listening, but I always choose the G98 when I sit down to listen.
Cheers, Ian
Cheers, Ian
1: Roon on Mac Studio, G-Drive 10TB, 818v3, 7200.2, UHD722, LG 77G4 2. 808.6, 8kSE 3. 218, 3200's 4: Rivian R1T - 18 speaker 1200W Elevation by Meridian premium sound system 5. G68ADV (croaked), G98DH (also croaked), [HD621, Syles SL-S/PDIF, MD600 (2*4TB), QNAP 469L (4*3TB), MS200], Ayre MX-R Twenties, TBD
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 8 |
Doesn't the 808 have a digital input? If so you could connect an sb3 or SB+ didgitally and use the (v good ?) Dacs of the 808.
Doesn't it also act as pre-amp? so you could have a pretty good (possibly an under-statement) and relatively compact two channel system.
I would be interest to know if anyone has experience of this. Viper, have you tried the 808 variable analogue out directly to your power amps?
Also How does the 808 compare to previous Meridian CD players eg 602/606 (which i still use)?
thanks
John
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364 Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364 Likes: 14 |
I think the 808i has inputs (i for inputs). The 808 may not.
- Fiddler (IMHO)
If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument. HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6 Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 254
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 254 |
Originally posted by johnr: Doesn't the 808 have a digital input? If so you could connect an sb3 or SB+ didgitally and use the (v good ?) Dacs of the 808.
Doesn't it also act as pre-amp? so you could have a pretty good (possibly an under-statement) and relatively compact two channel system.
I would be interest to know if anyone has experience of this. Viper, have you tried the 808 variable analogue out directly to your power amps?
Also How does the 808 compare to previous Meridian CD players eg 602/606 (which i still use)?
thanks
John John I've done extensive testing with an SB2, SB3, SB+ and a modified Transporter, both digital and analogue outputs, compared to very high quality DACs and Transports. The SB+ is the first streamer I've heard that can challenge top-end players although it does need top quality cables and power conditioning to do it. Having owned a 200/203, 602/568.2 and modified G98/861 amongst others I would take the SB+ in preference any day of the week, it's almost as good as my modified Wadia 861se CD player. The modified Transporter I have is the first streaming device I've heard that actually has the edge on my Wadia in both digital and analogue outputs, now that sets a precedent in my book! Regards Gary
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 202
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 202 |
For me, it seems that Meridian transports are more difficult to justify after reading this thread and from some personal expience.
A little sideways from topic but I wonder how sales are for Meridian transports? I know I that my G98DH has not lived up to high satisfaction levels that I am use to from Meridian.
G68J, HD621, Oppo 103d, 3xDSP5000, 2xM60 Rears, D2500, Linn LP12, Nova Phenomena phono amp Brad
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815 Likes: 87 |
M stated in Feb that their CD player sales were up, which was against the general trend of ipoditis. Not sure over what period or how sustainable that's been.
I do suspect that their overall disc spinner sales are down though. All the more reason for them to get some new products out.
Given that handling 1's and 0's is their game, and they are masters at it, I expect they will gives us some type of streamer eventually. If they didn't, it would be quite odd IMO.
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
487
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,189
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|