logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
OKay, will see if I can locate a 808i but somehoe I doubt it. I am in Hong Kong btw! eek

I think the sonos or even a hard drive with a digital output card fed through a quality DAC would probably sound similar to a top flight CDP. I believe that CDP's sonic signature are 95% residing in the DAC anyway and I doubt the 808 is any different.

However there is a slight difference between burning hundreds of CDs to my hard disk sending it wirelessly to a DAC compared withe "pride of ownership" of a Meridian CDP. A high price to pay I might add! In addition I think to get the same sound quality you still need a reference DAC, which will not be cheap either. This is also another of my current options, get a good DAC like a Mcintosh MDA1000 or MBL 1611 and use my computer and / or my Denon DVD as a transport. I guess I still lean towards enjoying putting CDs on to listen although digital inputs would be great for parties when you can just let your hard disk run at random (or Sonos / Squeezbox). I was hoping to run both a good CDP and a computer wireless system

Cheers

Howiebrou


Avid Acutus, SME V, Benz Micro LP / Van den Hul Colibri XGP, Audio Research Ref 2 Phono
Meridian Sooloos C15 + MD600
CH Precision C1 DAC
Constellation Audio Virgo and Centaur Monoblocks
Sonus Faber Aida
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,534
No reason you can't do both (808 and SB3)!


561, DSP5500s, DSP5000C, analog sides and rears
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 148
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 148
Quote
However there is a slight difference between burning hundreds of CDs to my hard disk sending it wirelessly to a DAC compared withe "pride of ownership" of a Meridian CDP.
Just think of all the extra CDs you could buy with that cash smile

Honestly, do yourself a favor and compare the two using an excellent DAC before spending that kind of money

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
You could probably buy a 598 and the entire DVD-A catalog! laugh


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
I forgot to mention. The 808i is probably a Digital Preamp. So if the sources you are considering are analog it will convert those to digital internally then back to analog (with no advantage of MRC, bass management, timing etc. that I know of). So if your running analog outputs it probably won't match a high end analog preamp.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Ah ha. This is the sort of info I was looking for. A digital pre-amp changing analogue to digital and then back to analogue. Sounds like a bad way to go.....

That means the i moniker will solely be for using the 808 as an external DAC for another digital source. The cost is going up!

howiebrou


Avid Acutus, SME V, Benz Micro LP / Van den Hul Colibri XGP, Audio Research Ref 2 Phono
Meridian Sooloos C15 + MD600
CH Precision C1 DAC
Constellation Audio Virgo and Centaur Monoblocks
Sonus Faber Aida
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 409
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 409
Likes: 1
Howie

Excel (the HK dealer/distributor/monopoly) used to have an 800 available in the HK showroom; it might now be an 808.

Regards

Mark

Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
Quote
Originally posted by howiebrou:
Ah ha. This is the sort of info I was looking for. A digital pre-amp changing analogue to digital and then back to analogue. Sounds like a bad way to go.....

That means the i moniker will solely be for using the 808 as an external DAC for another digital source. The cost is going up!

howiebrou
It should act as a good preamp for digital sources as well. You might want to check with Meridian that they didn't put analog bypass in it, it would be a first but at that price who knows.

It has an analog preamp in it. It's just that it likely has a digital source switcher like all Meridian digital processors. So it converts all inputs to digital first.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Quote
Originally posted by howiebrou:
A digital pre-amp changing analogue to digital and then back to analogue. Sounds like a bad way to go.....
Meridian might argue that it is the only way to go... From a neutral perspective I guess you're comparing degradation of the original analogue source by an 96/24 ADC and 24-bit DAC vs. the degradation in traditional analogue components. I'm reasonably sure that a top notch analogue pre-amp would win in an all-analogue system, but it would be an interesting blind test.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Quote
Originally posted by MarkH:
Howie

Excel (the HK dealer/distributor/monopoly) used to have an 800 available in the HK showroom; it might now be an 808.

Regards

Mark
Thanks Mark, it is a 808 and I demoed it. Very very nice but I don't think they have a 808i (they said most people buy the 808 cos they will already have a high-end pre-amp in the system)

howie


Avid Acutus, SME V, Benz Micro LP / Van den Hul Colibri XGP, Audio Research Ref 2 Phono
Meridian Sooloos C15 + MD600
CH Precision C1 DAC
Constellation Audio Virgo and Centaur Monoblocks
Sonus Faber Aida
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 291
Quote
howiebrou [/qb]
It should act as a good preamp for digital sources as well. You might want to check with Meridian that they didn't put analog bypass in it, it would be a first but at that price who knows.

It has an analog preamp in it. It's just that it likely has a digital source switcher like all Meridian digital processors. So it converts all inputs to digital first. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Not quite sure what you mean by analogue bypass. Am guessing you mean it bypasses the digital circuit straight to the analogue output? I also found out that the preamp doesn't have a bypass feature for home theatre i.e. if I connect my A/V amp output to it to drive the front speakers, you have to control the volume using the AV amp volume AND the Meridian volume which is a pain. My Mcintosh C2200 allows a passthru mode (as do many fully fledged preamps) so that the AV amp controls all volumes.


Avid Acutus, SME V, Benz Micro LP / Van den Hul Colibri XGP, Audio Research Ref 2 Phono
Meridian Sooloos C15 + MD600
CH Precision C1 DAC
Constellation Audio Virgo and Centaur Monoblocks
Sonus Faber Aida
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (ChrisSwain), 635 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.065s Queries: 37 (0.038s) Memory: 0.8781 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 19:44:34 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS