logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#56167 2007-04-24 05:39
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
Never mind. I reread that Stereophile article and it's talking about jitter driving the SPDIF Coax and Toslink INPUTS. It never discusses the actual Jitter of the SPDIF outputs.

The Jitter it's measuring is what the internal DAC sees. How they do that is beyond me.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
#56168 2007-04-24 10:00
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 735
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 735
George,

As I read it it compares jitter on a Mac mini WiFI out @ 16b as 268ps p-p and a pc soundcard with toslink out @16b as 313ps p-p.
These are all measured at the analogue out of the Transporter.

I seems from my limited reading that a good DAC can process jitter levels even at nanosecond levels.
So does jitter realy matter if you can reclock?

A previous Stereophile review (May 2005) gave Airport Express jitter @ 258ps p-p.

Using a MacMini directly into a good DAC was popular and as good as a top transport.

A DAC is equivalent to a Pre, the more you spend the more coherent a signal can be retrieved.

So why the issue with jitter, as long as its moderate in the digital domain the good DAC retimes it.

Roger


518, 568.2, D6Ks, D6KC, iMac dual core, iTunes 10.1 (lossless), Apogee Duet, Kuro 500A, Logic Studio, Sound Devices 702.
#56169 2007-04-24 10:18
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Theory and practice are often different it seems...

There is also digital domain jitter and I think that's what most people are focussing on as they will be using digital connections between all these devices if they are interested in maximum quality.

Mark

#56170 2007-04-24 10:52
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
I think I read a few years back that the 588, when Hi-Fi News seemed to use it as a benchmark for their techie tests, was about 180-200. Whether this was the same type of measurement I'm not sure. I'll google it when I get chance.


Rgds,
Nick


#56171 2007-04-24 13:16
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Quote
Originally posted by ncpl:
I think I read a few years back that the 588, when Hi-Fi News seemed to use it as a benchmark for their techie tests, was about 180-200. Whether this was the same type of measurement I'm not sure. I'll google it when I get chance.
Yes, it's surprisingly high. About the same as my Sony DVP-S7700 DVD player.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
#56172 2007-04-24 14:53
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
Here is a better article from Stereophile explaining their Jitter Measurement technique. They so happen to be measuring the infamous 508.24.

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/590/index5.html


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
#56173 2007-04-24 16:27
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702
Likes: 13
ISB Offline
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702
Likes: 13
I think that John Atkinson mentioned in the measurement section of the Nagra CD player review in the latest Stereophile that he's just upgraded his jitter measurement. It makes you wonder how much variation in results is due to differences in measurement methodology and equipment and therefore how meaningful comparisons might be.

Cheers, Ian


Cheers, Ian

1: Roon on Mac Studio, G-Drive 10TB, 818v3, 7200.2, UHD722, LG 77G4
2. 808.6, 8kSE
3. 218, 3200's
4: Rivian R1T - 18 speaker 1200W Elevation by Meridian premium sound system
5. G68ADV (croaked), G98DH (also croaked), [HD621, Syles SL-S/PDIF, MD600 (2*4TB), QNAP 469L (4*3TB), MS200], Ayre MX-R Twenties, TBD
#56174 2007-04-24 17:03
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
Quote
Originally posted by isb:
I think that John Atkinson mentioned in the measurement section of the Nagra CD player review in the latest Stereophile that he's just upgraded his jitter measurement. It makes you wonder how much variation in results is due to differences in measurement methodology and equipment and therefore how meaningful comparisons might be.

Cheers, Ian
I'm sure there is lots.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
#56175 2007-04-24 17:57
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 254
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 254
Quote
Originally posted by Roger:

I seems from my limited reading that a good DAC can process jitter levels even at nanosecond levels.
So does jitter realy matter if you can reclock?
Roger
Roger

I think the answer is yes, it does matter. Are you familiar with the Genesis Digital Lens After extolling the virtues of reclocking the reviewer notes on page 6 under the heading of Bizarre phenomena that the jitter signatures got through the Lens's RAM and ended up at the DAC.

Regards
Gary

#56176 2007-04-24 19:06
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 369
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 369
I've also noticed that they are not consistent with WHERE they measure jitter. For instance, in their review of the Sonos ZP80, the TOSlink output was used, rather than the coaxial SPDIF output. This seems strange, as TOSlink outputs are normally far higher in jitter than coax.

Hard to know the truth.


Main system: Cable, Apple TV, HD621, G68D, AC11, 218, DSP7200SE (L+R), DSP3200 (L+R Rear)
2nd system: Cable, Apple TV, MC200, HD621, 568.2, M3100 (L+R)
#56177 2007-04-24 21:17
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
The real question is how much Jitter can a Meridian Preamp handle before it starts to audibly matter.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
#56178 2007-04-24 21:44
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 148
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 148
The real question for me is at what point does it audibly matter for any preamp that is fed by any excellent DAC. Is the garbage-in really garbage? Or has the technology come far enough that you don't need re-clocking for this purpose in the first place? It doesn't quite make sense to me that a SB3 is even remotely comparable to a "high end transport". I fear the Emperor's New Clothes are here.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 97 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,181
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.069s Queries: 39 (0.028s) Memory: 0.8853 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 03:00:44 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS