logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#51527 2007-01-19 07:43
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 403
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 403
I do want to thank our trusty Webmaster Hiker George for all the splendid efforts on this great forum. And given that this is an act of altruism for all us technology junkies I shalln't be at all upset if my suggestion is ignored.

Some of the sticky threads now run to 12+ pages and have several "topics/conversations" running in parallel. I find my self somewhat "at sea" reading them (being a bit simple, a old fuddy duddy and so on).

I wonder if it is possible to have "sub-forums" so people could post a new topic under "HD-DVD" or "Music Server"?

Regards

Andrew


Video Sources: Cheap Samsung BluRay, Xbox One, Virgin TiVo HD
Audio source: Hifiberry DIGI on Raspberry pi running
max2play.
Music server: MacMini '06 running iTunes library
Output (3.0): G61R, HDmax421, DSP5000, DSP33C and Samsung 29in LCD
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
I know what you mean Andrew. I think the trouble is that this is a *Meridian* forum and we tend to get off topic quite a lot...


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
I also tend to agree with this. For a while now, the forum has been leaning ever more towards being a more generalist AV forum. That's not a criticism (before anyone jumps on me) but perhaps a reflection of the times and that not much has been happening specifically with M gear recently. I don't think that anyone who's been on here for a number of years would disagree that it's evolved quite a bit.

Other sub forums, just like the Restaurant, would help the Hiker browse through more specific subject matter whilst also cutting down on the number of stickies at the top of the board.

It would be interesting to see just how much was being posted where too. Maybe HH is becoming a Meridian oriented AV forum, but, I do sometimes think there's a lot of duplication with other forums though. I do it myself but there's nothing really required on this forum about the technicalities of ripping, SB3's etc that can't be found on the Slim forum. Not necessarily suggesting we shouldn't post the SB3 tech stuff...but it is perhaps worth the discussion about what this means.

Regardless of all that, thank you George M for gallant efforts as always.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 117
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 117
I agree to that we could have a use for subforums.
Since a while back a Meridian owner tends to have sources that most likely Meridian will never produce or it will take a while before M produce something similar. But we might still need to share the experiences how to connect and optimize the use of them.

Cheers
Harry

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Let's just think about the purpose of the HD-DVD, Bluray and MediaServer threads.

IMHO, these are to discuss interfacing and use of this hardware with Meridian equipment and the possible extension of the Meridian product range into these areas. They are not for deep discussion of, for example, how to get your SqueezeBox to wake up your PC on the wireless LAN. As said above, there are other forums (fora?) for these discussions.

I should also like to thank George for his sterling work making the HH forum such a great resource for us enthusiasts. His polite but firm attitude rubs off on all of us and makes this forum a better environment for all.

I agree that stickies are a bit annoying as they clutter up the forum so maybe subdividing would be useful for this. How about an "Administration" forum for the Wiki, Firmware, Registration etc threads? One thing that I would request is that the 2007 forum and the Restaurant are put at the top of the forum listing on the main page to avoid all the scrolling down.


Malcolm
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 403
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 403
One reason I like this forum so much is the quality of responses and information but also the common decency and mutual respect amongst its members. I have posted on other forums (fora?) but have not often enjoyed the experience.

I look at AVforums and DigitalSpy and am often appauled at how people are treated.

Check out this thread as an example

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=473023

www.digitalspy.co.uk
Home > Forums > Entertainment Zone Forums > Cult > Am I the only person who's discovered this?


Video Sources: Cheap Samsung BluRay, Xbox One, Virgin TiVo HD
Audio source: Hifiberry DIGI on Raspberry pi running
max2play.
Music server: MacMini '06 running iTunes library
Output (3.0): G61R, HDmax421, DSP5000, DSP33C and Samsung 29in LCD
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Just thinking about this a bit more, how about the main page headers as Administration, Archive (contains all the closed forums), Meridian 2007 and Restaurant.


Malcolm
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 10
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 10
Hi,

Being completely new to the forum and incorrectly placing a music server thread in the main forum I can say that a sub-forum structure would have helped me greatly.

I elected not to repeat the question in the music server thread for the exact reasons that Andrew mentioned at the start of this thread, I felt that I was either hijacking the direction that the thread was going in or was likely to further confuse the various threads that were already there.

At the moment I would only feel comfortable asking fairly Meridian specific questions and will leave any music server integration questions to my own research at present.

You have a forum here you should be proud of and I understand that you need to carefully manage it to prevent it becoming too far detached from what it was originally created for.

I echo Andrews comments about the low standards which are sometimes observed elsewhere, I came here as both the conduct and the knowledge are more closely aligned to my own needs.

Cheers

Spencer


500CD MKII > 518 (V1.22) > DSP 5000 (V4.003) 24/96

MacBook Black > 518 (V1.22) > DSP 5000 (V4.003) 24/96
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
I think VirusKiller summed it up nicely. The intent of this site is not to be a general AV forum. It would just end up like all the rest. But it may be unavoidable that it becomes an "AV Forum" for Meridian users (i.e. open discussions of anything you might hook up to a Meridian system, which has always been fair game). There just seems to be more need for discussion non-Meridian mix these days.

I am watching closely. And there are Pros and Cons to the mega sticky threads. This software does not allow for sub-forums but I may create one other forum for non-Meridian components for Meridian users (that would probably not get archived, like the restaurant). Or I may relax the current stickies and see what happens. It might have been inappropriate to start the stickies in the first place.

I'm also waiting to see where the Wiki takes us.

Keep in mind some of the goals are:

Keep the site leaning towards Meridian.
Keep it clean.
Keep it archivable.
Keep it easy to maintain.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,008 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.124s Queries: 32 (0.084s) Memory: 0.8631 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 05:31:51 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS