logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,061
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,061
Being a newbie to Meridian I'm wondering what you veterans think about the following:

From the point of view of acoustics (e.g., better looking waterfall plot) I am guessing that speaker placement (and listening position for that matter) is still important even with a Meridian controller. That is because the room has certain characteristics modes, ringing, etc. and the MRC can only compensate for those characteristics at the margin.

From the point of view of imaging, however, I'm thinking that since the M conttroller gives so much electronic control (since you can adjust the image with the width and depth controls in most DSPs), it is less important how far you place your front speakers apart or how far they are from the front and side walls.

I'm just trying to sort out my thinking on this and I might want to reposition my front speakers now that I have the 68 installed in my system.

Any reactions?


MD600(2x2TB); iPad Pro
LR. 818v3, 8000SE
HT. 861v8+ID41,HD621; BW 2x802D,HTM1D,4x804S;SVS sub; Mac 5 MC501s; RGP 600Pro, JVC X950; Radiance Pro; Oppo 203
FR. G65, DSP3200-3300 DSW, HD621; Mac MC152; Oppo 103, PDP TCP65VT60, Radiance 2124; RGP1200C
4. G65, DSP3200-3300,HD621; OPPO 83, Radiance XE PDP
5. 818v3; Prime HP Amp; HD800
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Thats what I have found, my speakers are very far apart, if useing normal stereo it wouldn't work. Also I am too close.

But as I have all my distances measured, speaker sizes taken into consideration and delays set with room aspect ratio at 0.5, the Meridian is perfect.

Once you have a base setup you can fine tune from there.

So, No I dont think you will have a problem.

The trick is to Listen and from there define your own presets that work for you with you Music.

How perfect is that then?

Cheers, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Ditto - I've always found more flexibility using M- DSP than virtually all other systems; Especially now with MRC; still some placement considerations, but one of the most flexible systems out there; Go for it and listen as Chris says...

ken

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
double post--

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 501
Likes: 1
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 501
Likes: 1
For me, it's Trifield that lets me have the front pair nice and wide, and MRC does fix some of the boominess.

I do think it would sound better if I could have the speakers a couple of feet from the corners, but there aren't many wives that let you have speakers in the middle of the room.

I guess MRC gives me an easier time at home!


861v8, DSP5200, DSP5200HC, DSP5000mk2, UHD722, MF10, Prime, Prime PSU
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,061
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,061
Actually, I was thinking of moving my L/R closer together but I want to keep a large sound stage. I'm hoping that can be done with the help of the Meridan DSP adjustments. For the short time I've had the 68, I find myself using the Trifield for most of my listening. I still haven't settled on depth and width settings for that DSP but the sound field extends well beyond the speakers which is why I thought I probably have additional leeway to move the speakers around a bit.


MD600(2x2TB); iPad Pro
LR. 818v3, 8000SE
HT. 861v8+ID41,HD621; BW 2x802D,HTM1D,4x804S;SVS sub; Mac 5 MC501s; RGP 600Pro, JVC X950; Radiance Pro; Oppo 203
FR. G65, DSP3200-3300 DSW, HD621; Mac MC152; Oppo 103, PDP TCP65VT60, Radiance 2124; RGP1200C
4. G65, DSP3200-3300,HD621; OPPO 83, Radiance XE PDP
5. 818v3; Prime HP Amp; HD800
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Jack, I think you have permission to play from all on this Forum.............. as if you needed it lol

Lets us know how you get on.

Cheers, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,061
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,061
Quote
Originally posted by chrislayeruk:
Jack, I think you have permission to play from all on this Forum.............. as if you needed it lol

Lets us know how you get on.

Cheers, Chris smile
Yeah well it's just that I'm kind of lazy and there are so many options on the M. If you add in all different speaker placements within the room to all the DSP settings you get a large amount of permutations. I could be fiddling for a long time.


MD600(2x2TB); iPad Pro
LR. 818v3, 8000SE
HT. 861v8+ID41,HD621; BW 2x802D,HTM1D,4x804S;SVS sub; Mac 5 MC501s; RGP 600Pro, JVC X950; Radiance Pro; Oppo 203
FR. G65, DSP3200-3300 DSW, HD621; Mac MC152; Oppo 103, PDP TCP65VT60, Radiance 2124; RGP1200C
4. G65, DSP3200-3300,HD621; OPPO 83, Radiance XE PDP
5. 818v3; Prime HP Amp; HD800
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,061
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,061
Here's another angle to the question. I have my L/R with very little toe in at this point (mabye 10 degrees). I did that in my pre M system because I wanted to maximize sound stage. The draw back to that is that for seating positions other than the prime one, less toe in generally results in poor imaging. I wonder if I can toe in more now to help imaging at other positions. I suppose the answer is just a corollary to the first question. If speaker position vis a vis the walls and listener is less relevant than I supopse the toe in would be less relevant as well. Yes?


MD600(2x2TB); iPad Pro
LR. 818v3, 8000SE
HT. 861v8+ID41,HD621; BW 2x802D,HTM1D,4x804S;SVS sub; Mac 5 MC501s; RGP 600Pro, JVC X950; Radiance Pro; Oppo 203
FR. G65, DSP3200-3300 DSW, HD621; Mac MC152; Oppo 103, PDP TCP65VT60, Radiance 2124; RGP1200C
4. G65, DSP3200-3300,HD621; OPPO 83, Radiance XE PDP
5. 818v3; Prime HP Amp; HD800
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 117
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 117
This is about taste how you set up the speakers. If you would like to have a most accurate stereo image as possible a good estimation will be about 45� apart due to your ears physical construction and the recording "standard set up" in studios. For me I don't like Trifield since it introduce a kind of "sameness" to the records. If M believes Trifield is the way to go with stereo recordings a suppose they would have used it in their stereoamps also. But taste matters.
Cheers

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
I Toe in my speakers so I can see them Face on at my listening position.

It sounds great to me, give it a go.

Harry, if Trifield sounds as you say, have you got it set up correctly? Also try Mulogic.

In the end, its all down to taste.

Cheers, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone


Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (MarkQV, swpnt, GMT), 551 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,184
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.060s Queries: 36 (0.030s) Memory: 0.8784 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 11:54:39 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS