logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 24
RoB
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 24
Hi again,

I have music streaming trough. Great relieve.

I talked to M yesterday and they said that MHR is only engaged if the G68 receives a MHR signal. I all other cases it should send standard SPDIF 16/44&48 or 24/96.

Now, they also said that there are two versions of SPDIF, a consumer and a pro-version. I think they have mixed up the nomenclature as there is no support anywhere in the documentation for such difference or two verions being mentioned that I can find. They may be confusing it with AES which is the PRO version of SPDIF, albeit quite different. And I'm sure that G69 is not outputting AES/EBU.

My digital XO`s are originally made for AES input but they seem to do well with SPDIF also, at least up to 24/48. Why they do not lock on to the 24/96 stream is still to be found out. I may well bet that my connectors are not good enough for the higher frequency of 96kHz. I will change the feed (cables) to real 75ohm multi coax cables in a few days to test.

SPDIF info


So there is still hope to get 24/96 non MHR out.

Regarding the different speaker settings there is no real difference. It looks good on screen, that`s all. There may be some defaults that are different as if they are 24/96 compliant or not but there are not processing differences at all. Good news.

I have not been able to find out what the difference between a master and a non master speaker is. Anyone who can help out?

Best regards

//RoB


RoB
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 106
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 106
two versions do exist of SPDIF.

It is controlled by a bit in the SPDIF code.

see here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPDIF

I had the same issue with some other kit about 3 years ago one system would only accept consumer format SPDIF.

also here is an quote

"What are different types of IEC 958-interface

There are 2 implementations of IEC 958: consumer and professional. Those are referred in standard as IEC958 Types I and II. IEC958 professional format is same as AES/EBU but is carried over same type of coaxial or optical interface as consumer SPDIF. "

At his url: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html

Consumer allows subcode (Q Data) information (track information)....which can effect sound quality.

professional does not allow this.


hope the artcles helps fix the issue.

May be this is what was ment.


Michael

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 24
RoB
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 24
I have talked to M again and it seems like there may be two versions of the consumer version of SPDIF that are not AES/EBU. I will have to update my cables to see if that changes anything. My XO's are made for AES/EBU input (110ohm) but do accept SPDIF (75ohm) but I have read in many places that 96k is much more sensitive than 44/48k. I will update this thread when I have tried. I won't give up until I have 96k working :-)

//RoB


RoB
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
The 518 gives a choice of Consumer or Pro SPDIF

I tried both and cant hear any differance, so the idea of 'Q-Data' sounds right, and as I have no need for it I use Pro 24 bit into the 565.

Cheers, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
Double post. It must be busy here. I thought the original was lost in the ether.

Cheers, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (ChrisSwain), 345 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,169
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.041s Queries: 25 (0.018s) Memory: 0.8464 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-05 20:49:28 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS