logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 … 29 30
#47625 2006-12-04 20:16
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Here's a review of my fav movie on BR.Mod' if you don't like please delete.You need an IA45 analog card to get the best audio out of this disc

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/dvd-review.php?sequence=1742



#47626 2006-12-04 20:54
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
I will have to watch this in SD as I am holding off HD for now.
It Sounds a good positive film.

I am concerned that for all the Hype the picture is not thought to be perfect in every way by the reviewer. (The whole point of it all I thought).

I suppose this is so that in 5 years time we can all be sold it again with the next latest thing.

Super dooper Bluray extra perhaps.

Cynic, Moi?

Cheers, Chris smile


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

#47627 2006-12-04 22:53
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
Why is he raving about the movie beeing 1080p when he is using a 720p projector to review it? It's like listen to DTS-ES with a stereosystem;)


Regards Joern
Editor, Watt Magazine, Norway
Gear: JBL Array 1400, Array 880, Klipsch rs62x4, Velodyne DD18+, 861v6, HD621, Cambridge 752BD, Pana 65VT60, JVC DLA X75, SR 2:35:1 152", Prismasonic, PS3, Xbox360
#47628 2006-12-04 23:01
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Quote
Originally posted by jfinneru:
Why is he raving about the movie beeing 1080p when he is using a 720p projector to review it? It's like listen to DTS-ES with a stereosystem;)
See even a 720P in HD looks a lot better then the SD and even more the 1080p is NOT the end of the road. 720 has a lot to offer for a long time. Here's a link to his PJ.
http://www.shopandprice.com/App/Products/ProductDescription.aspx?ID=604



#47629 2006-12-04 23:09
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
My point was that he is actually reviewing the scaler/de-interlacing performed by either the player or the projector. And I agree, a 720p projector looks darn good with HD, but if someone reviews the picturequality of a 1080p movie, it's kind of essential to actually watch the movie in that format also.


Regards Joern
Editor, Watt Magazine, Norway
Gear: JBL Array 1400, Array 880, Klipsch rs62x4, Velodyne DD18+, 861v6, HD621, Cambridge 752BD, Pana 65VT60, JVC DLA X75, SR 2:35:1 152", Prismasonic, PS3, Xbox360
#47630 2006-12-04 23:44
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
I have demoed 1080p and I am still impressed with my current system, I should say "1080p/24 and 1080p/60".Seen the Sony Cinza in action it's pretty good.



#47631 2006-12-05 00:48
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Anyone who declares either format a victor at this point in time is seriously misguided.

Both formats are having serious issues; but Blu-ray is having more serious issues. Between poor player performance, high pricing, low disc yields etc etc it isn't much to brag about.

Frankly, the way Blu-ray is going so far they are about 3-6 months away from snatching defeat from the mouth of victory.

HD-DVD isn't doing much better though; and unless things change I fear that both are heading down the path of extinction. I hope I'm wrong; but fear that I'm right.

Cheers,


Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training.
---
861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)
#47632 2006-12-05 02:31
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 639
I tend to agree, although still a bit early. But neither side is currently doing the things necessary to make HD-on-a-disk stick; So far Apple has sold more movies on iTunes at LESS resolution then DVD and only from 1 studio (DIsney);

Unless one side or the other steps it up; at best we'll just see both sides struggle along as niche high end formats...


ken

#47633 2006-12-05 09:07
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Amazon are posting healthy sales for both formats, with HD-DVD being the healthier by far. As long as they keep releasing titles I see no reason why that demand won't *increase*. And with the Xbox/PS3 support demand will become even stronger.

I find it an appalling prospect that we could lose the HD formats now that we have tasted them!

Mark

#47634 2006-12-05 11:10
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Quote
Originally posted by John Kotches:
unless things change I fear that both are heading down the path of extinction. I hope I'm wrong; but fear that I'm right.
Utterly astonishing. Unless I've been missing something, I have seen no marketing of HD HVD or BD to the general public. What were they expecting? :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm also for one format failing as quickly as possible so that one may flourish.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
#47635 2006-12-05 11:32
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
John, you must be kidding about the future of BR & HD .Since the release PS3 my son was never was into BR or HD but now he wants to know how many movies are released in BR and how soon will SW coming to BR.PS3 already made an impact and it's only a few short weeks.



#47636 2006-12-05 11:48
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
I think John's right and for these formats its a repeat of SACD and DVD-A. And the number of players out there which could play DVD-As in dolby digital at least is huge.

I don't think the majority of PS3 owners are going to use them for movies and I also don't think the number of PS3s in the market place is high enough to support a new format- at the moment at least.

JMHO.

best regards,
Jerry


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 … 29 30

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (MVirgil), 215 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,201
Posts297,161
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.056s Queries: 39 (0.030s) Memory: 0.8873 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-04 23:47:53 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS