|
|
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 274 Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 274 Likes: 1 |
DSP6000
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 37
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 37 |
I have both and I can confidently say there is NO comparison. 808 (or G08) is just in a different league when it comes to communicating the music. I expect that computer networks and the squeeze box just suffer too much from jitter and other ills.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 254
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 254 |
Hi Ron
Yes, the Big Ben has a narrow window in which it will lock onto the incoming signal which limits its usefulness. I notice that AT-Tunes are now agents for the ALWSR super regulator so when I get chance I'll have a chat with you about what can be done to the power supply in the 568.2 as that's one component I haven't really spent any time looking at.
Listener
You're right, a standard SB isn't particulary fabulous, however, with modification, such as the SB+, which uses a much lower jitter clock than standard, along with modified Jung regulators and an extremely good seperate linear PSU it's a whole different ball game.
Regards Gary
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816 Likes: 87 |
Gary,
Are you going for mods directly to a Transporter before getting a feel for it's baseline performance? Or have you already done some time with it ?
Am curious, despite all the Logitech noise, as I might have a look at one in the Spring.
Cheers
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519 |
Originally posted by GaryG: Going back to the original question:
Originally posted by Plasmatico: [b] I am considering buying an 808 or 800, with the new trend in w/l solutions like the Squeezebox, would you go for an expensive player or does the Squeeze give you enough satisfaction to hold you off for now.
I would think there is no way anthing can hold a candle to either the 808 or 800, but from the much discussed merits of the squeeze, people are quite happy with it - - but to the true music lover would it be worth spending several thousand times more to get x% in quality? What's your budget?
At the high-end, top of my list would be one of these:
www.aplhifi.com/esoteric-product-page.htm
I haven't personally heard this player so can't comment but those that have think it's the best there is.
www.aplhifi.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=558
At the bottom end, a seperate DVD player and Squeezebox would be top of my list. The SB+ from At-Tunes ( www.at-view.co.uk/sb2.htm ) is pretty impressive, it comes in two versions, one with the standard DAC at �800 which is ideal as a transport in Meridian systems, the other, with an upgraded DAC at �1000, for people with analogue systems.
I have the �1000 version of the SB+ (with Black Ash end cheeks, very stylish!), in my system, with power conditioning and good quality power cables it's extremely good, much better than the Meriidan 602, 500 and G98 that I previously owned and very very close to my GNSC 'Statement' Wadia 861se. In fact its so good that using a Big Ben with it made the sound worse so I sold the Big Ben and finally sold off my reference DAC, the Black Gate Audio Synthesis DAX Decade.
One drawback with the SB+ for me is that it doesn't have an external digital input, this would be very useful as I use the L/R digital output on the 568.2 to feed my stereo system via the digital input on the Wadia for DVD playback.
In light of the ablove drawback I've bought a Slim Devices Transporter which does have a digital input so hopefully that will solve my problem but it's currently gathering dust in the USA with one of the well know modification companies while they figure out what modifications to do on it.
Going back to the SB+, it's got great potential for modification, it has the power supply enclosed in a seperate case with plenty of space for replacement components, if the Transporter isn't up to snuff in the audio department the SB+ will be undergoing the surgeon's knife!
Regards Gary [/b]Before M, I come from a two channel system, very high-end essoteric stuff. I decided I wanted to simplify and M was the way to go. Now the whole family can enjoy the investment (read: movies), before it was just me listening to some serious kit. With M the possibilities opened up, the SB3 is a great example. My question is basically, how good is the SB3 or Transporter when compared to a carefully (expensive) set two channel system? I am willing to compromise, for one, I never bought into an all analogue system - though I reconize (to me) a t/t sounds better than the best CDP I've listened - with an extra ounce of warmth no CDP can reproduce. So, will a SB3 or Transporter sound better (or just about the same) in an all M kit, than an 808 or 800? I guess the consesus is very close, but not quite. Now, is that extra X% worth the price of an 808/800? Probably no. Some members here have two or more kits, if I could avoid that and have everything in one place - the best audio and video one kit, than, it would a bargain. To achieve that level of audio that I am looking for mean I have to buy an 808? I think the answer is probably, until M comes out with a (SB3) similar solution. For movies I am considering the new "basic" system that Kaleidescape came out (I understand it's about $10K). I do not need the big system because we mostly watch movies in one place - if it was up to me we'd only have one TV in the house. Now music on the other hand, I could have all thruought the house; and that's where I think the SB3 could be a good alternative to me. Anyway, that's where I think I am heading, K for movies, M for audio, SB3 for "zone" music.
Lumin A1, Shindo Aurieges, Sanders Loudspeakers. DSP5000.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 254
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 254 |
Nick
I ordered my Transporter directly from Slim Devices and had them ship it to Bolder for modification without listening to it. In light of my experience so far in trying to get a computer based solution to match the best CD transport/player I didn't want to mess about. My current reference point is the Coherent Systems Esoteric X-01 used with Coherent's master clock (which, by the way, completely annihilated the Big Ben in an A/B comparison). Coherent's X-01 is still head and shoulders above any computer based solution I've heard to date, and for that matter any other CD/DVD player I've heard.
Regards Gary
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 485
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 485 |
Concerning Maestro's post there is a difference between esoteric theory and practical reality- there have been many users (myself included) who found Squeezebox led source to perform or rather outperform transports/CDPs of much higher value. (Remember this is for CDs not DVDs). Also if any of you have G series, get the Power Supply modded or replaced - you will hear better Cheers, Kishore
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703 Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
|
|
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703 Likes: 4 |
[controversial mode on]
Can I really be bothered to copy all my CDs etc to a PC when I can just put one in the player as required? I've probably got better things to do.
[controversial mode off]
Malcolm
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 517
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 517 |
If someone with the proper equipment and willingness to spend some time on the matter would connect some T&M acq/rec equipment to the SP-DIF output of a SB and a said High-End CDP, playing the same material (perfectly ripped for the SB) and then post somewhere (or better here) the synchronized traces for all those interested to be able to see what the differences eventually look like, then maybe some ink would be spared.
M kit : G08 502 557 507 2xDSP5k
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816 Likes: 87 |
Hi Malcolm, [tutt tutt mode on] You see....that's the type of non-value add response that we did to death in the previous threads on this subject.....that I suggested at the start of this one we should try and avoid. [tutt tutt mode off] The pursuit of audio performance is absolutely about giving up time and resources that you might have otherwise spent on something else more 'worthwhile'. I ask you: what would you do if the use of device X via a hard drive was demonstrably and measurably outperforming your current CDP at a tenth of the cost? A night and day improvement in performance ? Would you still maintain that spending the time to make it available in such a way was not worth it ? I'm with Goodolddog on his view that a like for like measurement would be a very good thing to have at this point. Let's say a G08/G98 or similar playing a test sample compared to a standard SB3 playing the same material. I'm not sure that we can just base views on theoretical expectations of network jitter and 'other ills' when the empirical findings are far better than would be 'expected' by really quite a few folks here.
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
|
|
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314 |
Malcolm, This is a valid point of view. I'll give you mine. Given the busy nature of my life and the large CD collection I have, the annoyance factor of copying the CDs to servers (twice in my case!) was well worth it. I can make bit accurate CDs for automobile mixes if I so choose and I can easily transfer the music to my iPod in MP3 format so its portable. Whats more, having my G5 Mac hooked right into a 518 and then the 861 gives me playback of those CDs in bit accurate format (proof is ripping and playing a DTS CD). Now, I cannot say I am an expert on some of the technical things mentioned above like jitter, but I can tell you that for my preference in music, which you could call classic/progressive rock/ I hear no difference between the 800 and the Mac with its optical digital output. I even tried taking the 518 out of the chain and I heard no difference. As I've mentioned earlier, I do think there is a subtle difference with more demanding playback like orchestrial or jazz- but thats not what I usually listen to. So for my purposes I am very happy.
So is the convenience of having all my music at my finger tips worth the hassle factor of ripping CDs while I watch ball games while the kids sleep- yes it was worth it. For me. I rip the music twice as I said- once in AIFF to one server and the other to my local computer as 192kps MP3 for iPod use. I back up both collections to an old computer with a lot of hd capacity and also an external fire wire HD. The beauty here is the investment in my collection is relatively safe. And I don't have to worry about the physical discs anymore- they are in boxes in my basement.
If ripping a large collection is too tedious but you want the benefits, there are services which will perform this task for a fee.
MJC, I have thought hard on the Kscape myself. My biggest issue is that my favorite thing about the 800 is its decoding of the DD soundtrack on DVDs and thus the 861s upsampling of the track. There is a noticeable difference in that using the 800 for movie playback gives soundtracks more of a "cinematic" sense to them.
Yet the convenience the Kscape provides is really tremendous. My worry is what if we get a HD format that takes off- thats a lot of investment to put into a proprietary system. The pricing I am seeing on the Kscape is like 15k for a basic system with like 2 zones. I grant you that you don't want that many zones, but in my case, with little kiddies, I would want more zones because what happens is the kids want to see and touch the DVD cases and that leads to them putting their paws on the DVDs themselves. Now when you want to know where the "Day with the animals" DVD is- well, its in Cinderella's box... Id want at least 5 zones and that is like 10k in players... So I have resigned myself to wait and see on the Kscape- but I do love it and I am open to any thoughts/ arguments in favor or not you and the rest of the board have.
best regards, Jerry
Best regards, Jerry Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 519 |
Jerry - We are definitely on the same camp, I have two young daughters, and I don't remember (don't want to) how many times I've bought the bloddy Nemo, Cinderella... I will probably stay with one zone though.
The K is definitley my number one choice, unless M is working on a similar solution, in which case I would prefer it based on we've already put in a lot of money into an all digital system and would like to keep it that way. Your HD point is exactly why I haven't made the jump yet, though all my DVDs are std at the moment, I am sure as the catalog expands I will find a compeling reason to upgrade.
For the moment I just finished putting in all my music (except classical/jazz) into a 500GB HD I bought at Costco for little more than $200 and will either buy a MacMini or a SB3/Transporter for music. I understand the Transport comes with 2 SB3s (not sure if it was an offer when the T first came out) that would work great for music on 2 additional zones. I will talk to my local K dealer to learn more about the HD issue.
Lumin A1, Shindo Aurieges, Sanders Loudspeakers. DSP5000.
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
1,008
guests, and
2
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|