logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27
A lot of movies been released lately on BR and HD DVD has having a lossless Dolby TrueHD soundtrack. I just wonder if this apply to Meridian's lossless scheme or is it only analog. If analog it can only be used with a 861with IA45 six channel input card?....


I love All Meridian Gear.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Dolby TrueHD does not use MLP as far as I know!

At present, and for the forseeable future it sounds like, the only way to get this soundtrack into 861 is via the IA45 input card. Whether the increased resolution of the TrueHD track is enogh to offset the additonal D/A-A/D conversion is anyones guess.


My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Quote
Originally posted by Simon:
Dolby TrueHD does not use MLP as far as I know!
Yes it does. Dolby have obfuscated this fact for marketing purposes as far as I can tell. Not sure if it is MLP in its original incarnation for DVD-A or a derivative.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
I thought True HD was Dolby rebadging MLP ???

Wasn't there a deal done a while back between M and Dolby?


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Quote
Originally posted by Simon:
At present, and for the forseeable future it sounds like, the only way to get this soundtrack into 861 is via the IA45 input card. Whether the increased resolution of the TrueHD track is enogh to offset the additonal D/A-A/D conversion is anyones guess.
I haven't tried this yet, but from what I read there is a worthwhile improvement from going the analog route.

Mark

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 501
Likes: 1
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 501
Likes: 1
Is there some confusion here between MLP (a lossless compression scheme) and MHR (A way of transmitting encrypted hi def audio)?

Regards,
Mark.


861v8, DSP5200, DSP5200HC, DSP5000mk2, UHD722, MF10, Prime, Prime PSU
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Quote
Originally posted by VirusKiller:
Quote
Originally posted by Simon:
[b] Dolby TrueHD does not use MLP as far as I know!
Yes it does. Dolby have obfuscated this fact for marketing purposes as far as I can tell. Not sure if it is MLP in its original incarnation for DVD-A or a derivative. [/b]
Interesting, did not realize that!


My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161
Likes: 4
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161
Likes: 4
As per this thread :

http://www.meridianunplugged.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000948

and this interview :

http://stereophile.com/interviews/906bob/index2.html

comes this from Bob Stuart :

"We really pushed for that—and we managed to get MLP into both specifications. Because my view was that it should be in, but also I hoped—and I still hope—that they might merge, and I wanted to be in both formats so that, when they merged, we would still be in. The specification's there, and that's what we contributed: we've done the encoders. We'll see "

However, Fox seem happy in bed with Sony and have announced more titles supporting Dts-HD instead.LOSERS laugh

~m~


Mostly harmless. Comfortably numb.

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Gemeni), 429 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,204
Posts297,193
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.066s Queries: 30 (0.029s) Memory: 0.8545 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 12:51:58 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS