logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#44863 2006-08-31 22:54
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 101
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 101
I know this has a million answers-BUT any rec. for the HDMI hook up from the 421 to my various components- Does one brand work any better than another with Meridian products- thanks,gary

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
I've had excellent results with Wireworld HDMI and DVI cables.

Regards,


Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training.
---
861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Make sure that the cable that you choose is within specification for the length and resolution that you intend to use. Then try any cable that uses Molex plugs. They give a very positive connection.

I did however play devils advocate on another forum where a couple of chappies said that a cable made no difference to the image quality of the image and myself with an open mind tried to proove them wrong. The conclusion was that the image quality was either going to be as intended or was going to suffer from noticable defects such as sparklies or total failure. From a purely theoretical aspect using the HDMI specifications, there was nothing that I could find where I could find a situation that would cause the cable to produce a 'slightly less vibrant image'. This relates to the video side of HDMI. I did not spend any time looking into the audio side.

So if an HDMI cable provides an image without noticible defects such as sparklies, the the image quality will be exactly the same a a similar functioning cable.

I suspect that the above will cause some controversy.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Quote
Originally posted by Ian:
I suspect that the above will cause some controversy.
I've never read so much common sense... smile


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Ian:

Nope, that's actually been my experience in practice.

Unfortunately, I have longer runs (20m) from rack to projector and the only thing that I've had that's been clean from the rack to the projector has been the Wireworld @ 1080p.

Everything else has come up with sparklies.

Cheers,


Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training.
---
861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 84
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 84
I am also using a Wireworld HDMI cable form my 800 to my display. The Starlight 5^2. A flat cable that seems to work well (no issues) and seems to have a good build quality. I'm using a 3M run so I could prob get away with many other cables as well. Wish I would have bought a longer run so I could move my rack.

I have also had good luck with Analysis plus cable but have not tried DVI or HDMI..is def a lot less $$$s than the WW Silver Starlight 5^2.
JK

Have you tried the HDMAX to see if that helps with nlong runs.


861v4, 800D, DSP5500 L/R G57, B&W rears,
Fanfare FM FTA-100, SIRIUS SAT RADIO, AppleTV, Comcast X1 DVR, Revox B215, Sony 60XBR800.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
b:

I have a very complex switching infrastructure and the 421 is no longer being used.

I have to have a discussion with JRS and co about my issues (DHCP related) at CEDIA with them.

Cheers,


Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training.
---
861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 8
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 8
I recommend Dtrovision/Purelink. They're all high end in terms of performance and they're priced VERY reasonably compared to lesser companies like Monster. If you have a long DVI run, you should look in to their optical stuff. I use all their cables for video. I use their OC series DVI cable for my HDMAX421 to my projector. Flawless performance. I highly recommend it.


Excessive? Never.
Emotion counts more than convention.
It's not a question of need, it's a question of want.
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702
Likes: 13
ISB Offline
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702
Likes: 13
I have some monoprice cables based upon recommendations over on AVS. They are very reasonably priced. I can't get them connected until my DVI input board for the G70 CRT returns from getting a fix to its EDID chip. I'll let you know how it does when I get it hooked up.

Cheers, Ian


Cheers, Ian

1: Roon on Mac Studio, G-Drive 10TB, 818v3, 7200.2, UHD722, LG 77G4
2. 808.6, 8kSE
3. 218, 3200's
4: Rivian R1T - 18 speaker 1200W Elevation by Meridian premium sound system
5. G68ADV (croaked), G98DH (also croaked), [HD621, Syles SL-S/PDIF, MD600 (2*4TB), QNAP 469L (4*3TB), MS200], Ayre MX-R Twenties, TBD
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 419
(MDS Norway AS)
Hitchhiker
(MDS Norway AS)
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 419
I`ve tried a quit a few different HDMI cabel best as yett is the
Bettercabels Silver Serpent� Reference 1080p HDMI 1.2a Cable
I`ve tried Supra, Monster, Kimber,DVDO, IN9700 Series silver OEM and some others.


PerS


40th.Anv.DSP8000SE &861v8/ID41,Meridian Ultra Dac,C15 Black w/SSD,QNAP TS-669Pro 6X3 Tb w/Core,HD621,Oppo UDP-203 ,JVC DLA-X700R, 2xJL Audio F112v2, Marantz 8802A for Atmos with KEF Reference 5 and 4C withR700 sides & rears and 4xKEF R50 Atmos
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
PerS

What has been different with the cables?


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 419
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 419
Very soon HDMI will be wireless:

http://www.tzerotech.com/site/content/pr_106.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Rick7, ChrisSwain, Colin Triggs), 407 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,189
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.053s Queries: 39 (0.021s) Memory: 0.8865 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 16:18:45 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS