logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 229
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 229
Well, I switched to 5 X 5200's with 861 v4.2 a while back and have been thrilled. It is by far the best system I have had, 8000's included. It is perfectly balanced and the bass is literally bone crunching: it is fast, taught and clean. it feels like the speakers are bolted to the floor and the cement slab is acting like part of the woofer. Never heard or experienced better. The speakers are set to large. no subwoofer.
Now here is the problem. My room is 13.5 X 13.5 with normal (8' approx) cielings. Accoustically treated, mostly absorptive, so it sucks the volume to the point where I usually listen around 92.
I have BLOWN 3 bass drivers all together. First the left lower driver, now the center's right driver and the right speaker's lower driver. Jason is very kindly sending replacements out. Here is the dilemna; I love the bass I have, but apparently can't sustain it without destroying drivers. They recommend getting a sub. Due to the pricing issue; the 1600 is out of the question and the 5500 is the only consideration from Meridian.

First question is: Will a sub add to my system's powerful bass or just add boom?

Second question: will I be better off getting 2 Revel B12's which are 10" drivers and adding an analog card? This is much cheaper and I have 2 subs placed on either side instead of one big one.

I don't want to lose the sound I have by crossing over the DSP 5200's. But if setting them at 40 and sending the bass to a device capable of going to 20hz, will really improve, then I'm all for it. Please help me out with this decision. I feel like I need to relieve the DSP 5200's of the damaging lowest frequencies.


Silence is overrated!
861v4.8, HD621, DSP8000's, DSP5000HC, 4x DSP5000 mkIII, D2500.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
..and those 8k's were just too big for your room ... smile


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
Wow. 92 huh. Sounds like maybe you are asking a bit too much from the 5200's to sustain.

I think if you set the crossover really low like you suggested you should not lose that nice tight bass you have.

Since you want the 5200's to handle most of the bass I would not go with the 2 subs even though normally 2 subs is recommended. If you set the cross over even that low it should take the strain on the 5200's.

It's odd though the 5200's should protect themselves no matter what you throw at it.

You have MRC to take care of any boominess if you end up with any.

Interesting problem.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 229
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 229
Quote
Originally posted by ncpl:
..and those 8k's were just too big for your room ... smile
I just can't win :-)


Silence is overrated!
861v4.8, HD621, DSP8000's, DSP5000HC, 4x DSP5000 mkIII, D2500.
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 229
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 229
Quote
Originally posted by George Mills:

I think if you set the crossover really low like you suggested you should not lose that nice tight bass you have.
But do you think they will be adequately protected?
Thanks,
A


Silence is overrated!
861v4.8, HD621, DSP8000's, DSP5000HC, 4x DSP5000 mkIII, D2500.
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
Don't know since they should have been protected in first place.

I have a feeling with a sub you might not continue being in the 92 range.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 229
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 229
Good point. I am hoping that relieving them of some lower frequency duty will really open them up more. I don't want to go higher then 50 hz I think.


Silence is overrated!
861v4.8, HD621, DSP8000's, DSP5000HC, 4x DSP5000 mkIII, D2500.
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 240
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 240
adidadi - why don't you look at something like the Velodyne DD12/15 as you will have EQ in the Meridian and EQ in the subs too, with complete control over the results and the intergration will be made alot easier smile


John
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,560
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,560
Likes: 1
Although I don't have Velodyne subs any more I did love my old ULD15. They make nice subs.


HT: 568.2mm (Revelation One filter), 518x2, SB3, Bryston 7BSTx3, 8BST, Aerial 10T, CC3, SW12(Qty2) w/SVS AS-EQ1, MK Tripole x4. JVC RS1u, DVDO Duo, Oppo 103 w/Vanity103HD, Sony PS3, VIP 3D Theatre, Acer H5360. Logitech Ultimate Remote and Hub.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,606
Adi:

Go with Velodyne, a DD-15 would make a nice addition.
You use Velodyne's EQ first, then add in MRC. This worked spectacularly when I had the 5200s for review.

Switch between 50 and 60Hz as the crossover point -- I'm wondering with your small room if higher won't work better for you.

Best,


Surround Music Fan/Computer Geek/Curmudgeon in training.
---
861v4, HD621, Panasonic BD-P55K, Toshiba HD-A35, Oppo HD990, Dish Network 622, Pioneer DV-668AV-S w/ DVD Upgrades mod, EW Fontaine II (x5), Velodyne DD-15 (x2), Seymour AV Ice blocks (x7)
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 89
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 89
Adi

Slightly off topic but you mentioned that you were more pleased with your 5200 setup than with your 8000. Could you expand on this a bit? I am in the market for the 8000, switching from planar speakers and would definitely be interested to hear your perspective.

By the way, you should listen to any DD series sub as suggested. They are very impressive, fast and tight. They are extremely musical with enough punch to change your heartbeat!


Thanks

Al


Music side : Wilson Alexx V, Nagra amp and pre, Siltech cables. HT side: DSP7000C side/rear Meridian M6 + DSP33, Trinnov Alt32, M271, Oppo BDP-203, JVC DLA-NX9, Philips Pronto,
Office: Mytek Manhattan II, Wilson TuneTot, Nagra VPA, Uptone JS-2 Linear Power Supply, SOtM tx-USBultra USB Signal Regenerator Home: MS200 B&O with Roon distribution
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 117
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 117
I would suspect that MRC in combination with long term use at high spl will turn to much power into the woofers. Or make the built in amps to clip and produce a lot of distorsion products. So I recommend to use 2 subs with a crossover at 80Hz or up to 120Hz to reduce the power to the 5200's woofer. You will most likely get a much cleaner bass as well.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Locus), 523 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,190
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.085s Queries: 39 (0.060s) Memory: 0.8823 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 09:48:46 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS