logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 38
Harmless
Harmless
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 38
I am a very new member and I would like to know if any of the members have experienced repetingly but not daily loss of sound for one or two seconds and a distortion in the sound which I can best describe as a "digital distortion" or a very rasping sound. The problem has been reported to Meridian and they are working on it, but isn't solved yet(since november 2005).

G68D, G98DH, DSP 7000, DSP 5200 rear and center, Marantz VP-12S4 and Stewart screen.


G68ADV, G98DH, 7000, 5200, 5200HC, JVC LCD, Samsung HD cable-receiver, Gefen 4x2 HDMI switcher, MIT cables and Logitech Harmony 1000.
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Could you explain what type of source material this occurs on. For example, poor DTS lock is a typical source of "digital noise". Which Meridian equipment do you have and when does the noise occur?


Malcolm
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,868
Likes: 13
MI' Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,868
Likes: 13
Hi Paul,

I believe I have experienced what you describe via G98, G68 and DSP5000's listening to Red book CD's. Loss of sound is random for a second or two, but this rasping sound has only happened twice, but it is disconcerting.

Regards


Under review
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 38
Harmless
Harmless
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 38
Malcolm and MI',
Thank you for your quick responses! What equipment I own is in the message. The loss of sound and the distortion occurs very randomly on al my avaible sources: radio, CD and DVD. One day the set plays perfectly and the other day several times the loss of music and the distortion.
I don't know what is ment by Red Book CD's.
Regards.


G68ADV, G98DH, 7000, 5200, 5200HC, JVC LCD, Samsung HD cable-receiver, Gefen 4x2 HDMI switcher, MIT cables and Logitech Harmony 1000.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,868
Likes: 13
MI' Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,868
Likes: 13
Hi Paul,

Just standard CD's, I have not heard it with radio or DVD. Yes everything can be perfect one day then not the next. Playing a CD, it may occur once, play it again and perfect. Do Meridian know what is causing it, as opposed to having a solution?

Which software versions are you using, since I was told the latest software may be a cure. I have not upgraded since the kit is temporarily packed away,

Regards


Under review
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
What are you running for cables. Comms and Audio?

Improper cables can do some really strange stuff.

For the record I don't get anything like that on any sources.

Just DD drop outs on broadcast TV. Which is driving me insane because the TV's built in decoder seems to handle it (probably errors) fine.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
If it occurs on radio then it is unlikely to be the G98 (sorry, I should have looked at the bottom of your message ref. your equipment).

If the noise occurs on ALL the speakers simultaneously then it is unlikely to be either the speakers or the leads. Looks more like a G68 problem. Update the firmware if you haven't yet done it as per the note above.


Malcolm
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,868
Likes: 13
MI' Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,868
Likes: 13
Hello George,

I am running all stock Meridian cables.

Regards


Under review
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 160
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 160
Nice pick up Malcolm !!


#13 HH1
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 38
Harmless
Harmless
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 38
I do use comms and audio cables from stock and (because of the lenght of it) handmade by my dealer. For mains I use MIT Z-cords II and standard main leads didn't cure the problem. The most recent firmware is installed too. It's a real brainbraker I suppose.

Paul


G68ADV, G98DH, 7000, 5200, 5200HC, JVC LCD, Samsung HD cable-receiver, Gefen 4x2 HDMI switcher, MIT cables and Logitech Harmony 1000.
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 8,364
Likes: 14
Does it happen on ALL speakers like Malcolmw eluded too?

I also would start disconnecting Everything.

Narrow it to 2 speakers and 1 source and run for a couple days. Then if the problem is gone start adding stuff one at a time and run for a couple days. It could be one bad device rippling through the whole system. Like a bad ground loop in the digital domain might trigger a loss of digital lock. If it does still occur stripped down try a different set of speakers and a different source and try again. If every combo fails then that would confirm something is wrong with the G68.


- Fiddler (IMHO)

If you think listening to music is fun, try learning an instrument.
HT: G61RSL, 4x5K, 5.5KHC, 2xSC6000, Transporter, HD621, Philips BDP7501 4K, Tivo, 65" LG OLED 4K C6
Computer: Foobar2000, 5K, Mojo, HiFiMan HE1000 V2
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 38
Harmless
Harmless
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 38
George and Malcolm,
The problem occurs on all speakers indeed. I did forget to mention that in my earlier reply. I will follow George's idea and start with a small system. In my opinion it is a problem with the G68. I will report again.
Paul


G68ADV, G98DH, 7000, 5200, 5200HC, JVC LCD, Samsung HD cable-receiver, Gefen 4x2 HDMI switcher, MIT cables and Logitech Harmony 1000.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Lord Polbrook, bxd), 641 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.145s Queries: 39 (0.107s) Memory: 0.8835 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 11:00:51 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS