logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,560
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,560
Likes: 1
I watched The Last Samurai on a Toshiba HD-A1 and it looked pretty good but I wasn't blown away by it. I read today that Samurai isn't a good title to evaluate the format with though. The sound was DTS converted via the SPDIF output through a 518 into my 568.2. The levels were way to low. I had to crank up to 92 on the 568 to have a normal listening level. My 598 with DD via either smartlink or SPDIF were way better sounding than what I heard with the Toshiba. The audio levels were too low and I felt resolution was lost. I couldn't evaluate the analog output. I watched it again last night from the SD DVD on my 598 via ISCAN HD set at 1080i and in some scenes it looked just as good as the Toshiba. I guess that transfer isn't the best or the movie is a little soft cause HD on SAT looked better to me. I have to use the component outs by the way so that might be the problem although my Sony SAT box looks damn good in HD on PBS. For me I could care less about the format for now.

Ron


HT: 568.2mm (Revelation One filter), 518x2, SB3, Bryston 7BSTx3, 8BST, Aerial 10T, CC3, SW12(Qty2) w/SVS AS-EQ1, MK Tripole x4. JVC RS1u, DVDO Duo, Oppo 103 w/Vanity103HD, Sony PS3, VIP 3D Theatre, Acer H5360. Logitech Ultimate Remote and Hub.
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
Sorry to go off topic here, but Ron, could you email me please? I'd like to pick your brains on a matter!

Cheers

George

georgeross at blueyonder dot co dot uk

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
the last samurai and phantom of the opera, both from warner, has a soundtrack-issue.


Regards Joern
Editor, Watt Magazine, Norway
Gear: JBL Array 1400, Array 880, Klipsch rs62x4, Velodyne DD18+, 861v6, HD621, Cambridge 752BD, Pana 65VT60, JVC DLA X75, SR 2:35:1 152", Prismasonic, PS3, Xbox360
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,653
Likes: 1
Widescreen Review have started reviewing HD discs and the first reviews are available on their website.

Mark

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Maxwell98), 237 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
GMT 6
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,201
Posts297,161
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.045s Queries: 23 (0.019s) Memory: 0.8389 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-04 21:46:51 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS