logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#37952 2006-01-23 01:15
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 75
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 75
I hooked Zone 3 up to an Acoustic Energy Aego subwoofer and satellites in another room and maybe I shouldn't expect better given the difference in quality of kit to the G68, but found a hum turning the volume up to very high levels without music that is not evident playing music at normal listening levels. The noise is not evident when I disconnect the interconnects from the G68

Appreciate any advice on whether this is likely to be a cable shielding (10 meter cables) or a ground loop problem (I always thought they were more severe) and if and how I might try to eliminate it.

#37953 2006-01-23 03:24
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 277
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 277
Is the hum in the sub or all speakers? Also, I assume that there is no hum in main or 2nd zone...?


Jay
#37954 2006-01-23 22:01
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 106
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 106
you could have an earth loop?

#37955 2006-01-23 22:49
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 75
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 75
Hum is in the sub and speakers -- I disconnected the G68 again and found the hum is present at faint levels without connection to the G68 which I would say is normal for a subwoofer. When I reconnected the G68, it was not as audible as before, although it was somewhat more audible than without connection to the G68. I think it is probably ok. What would I hear if there was a problem like a ground or earth loop?

#37956 2006-01-25 03:34
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 277
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 277
"What would I hear if there was a problem like a ground or earth loop?"


A VERY audible huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum. BTW, no hum found in DSP speakers.

One way to tell for cetain (just for this brief minute) is to lift the ground at the receptacle. No, hum...then it's a ground loop in your electical system. Hum...then it's something in your AV system.


Jay

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,169
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.047s Queries: 24 (0.018s) Memory: 0.8364 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-05 21:52:20 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS