logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and was wondering if you all could shed some advice regarding the G68/98 combo.

I was wondering if anyone has combined the G68/98 with a non Meridian amp. I have b&w 802D's and have been interested in researching a pre/pro combination for them. I know that Meridian makes amps bought for the most part have been told I could do better on the amp end. The g68 though comes highly recommended.

Would it be a poor decision combining the G68 with a different amp?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11
I have G68/98 combination,
but not the G56 or the G55 as power amp.
Went to the dealer and got me a demo at home.
Ended up with a pair of Nelson Pass power amps
(X150.5 + X5) it sounds so mutch better.

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
I use G98/G68 fully balanced into active speakers. This works just fine and is probaly even more optimal than power amps/passive speakers.

The Meridian 605s that I have used seemed pretty good but did have a small amount of mechanical hum from the transformers.


Malcolm
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
"Would it be a poor decision combining the G68 with a different amp?"

In my opinion, No! I use a G98/68 combination with Bryston amps and Wilson Benesch speakers. I'm very pleased with the output - but that's my opinion. Go listen, compare and make your mind up is my advice.

Cliff


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 425
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 425
Using Sphinx Project 12 monoblocks with G68J/G91 and N802/N804 here.

Very very pleased with it.


G68J, HD621, ...
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Thanks for the advice.

I guess I have to listen to them myself. When you get to this range of product most of the times I'm sure it will sound pretty nice.

I will check the suggestions out. I was wondering if anyone had used the G68 with say a Classe ca 5200 multichannel amp?

Not sure if anyone has compared the two but does anyone have opinions on the G68 vs Classe SSP-300 or 600?

Cheers

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,560
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,560
Likes: 1
Hi Rob,

Best to match the Classe with the right speaker first or match the speaker to the amp. The G68 will sound good with the Classe.

Let your own ears decide.

Cheers,

Ron


HT: 568.2mm (Revelation One filter), 518x2, SB3, Bryston 7BSTx3, 8BST, Aerial 10T, CC3, SW12(Qty2) w/SVS AS-EQ1, MK Tripole x4. JVC RS1u, DVDO Duo, Oppo 103 w/Vanity103HD, Sony PS3, VIP 3D Theatre, Acer H5360. Logitech Ultimate Remote and Hub.
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 240
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 240
Quote
Originally posted by Rob72:

I will check the suggestions out. I was wondering if anyone had used the G68 with say a Classe ca 5200 multichannel amp?
I know "Costas" a member on this forum uses a classe 5200 amp with the G68 and B&W 800 series speakers with very good results, maybe he will see this thread and comment further ?


John
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Hi Ronomy,

I will be matching one of these pre amps with my new B&W 802D's. They have raised the bar and unfortunately caused me to upgrade my other equipment.

Ultimately my particular system will be geared for HT. This is why I am interested in Meridian and Classe obviously because of their synergy with B&W.

Cheers

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Thanks Recruit,

I hope Costas chimes in.

I have always thought matching pre/pro together from the same company was a solid idea. Although I know there are alot of people who don't.

I should get alot more familiar say with the pro and cons of the G68 vs Classe SSP-300 or 600.

Cheers

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
I use 7 of the oberon 6.1 http://www.midgardaudio.no/www/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=45

speakers are a complete setup with Dali Helicon 800, 400 and 200
subs are velodyne DD18x2


Regards Joern
Editor, Watt Magazine, Norway
Gear: JBL Array 1400, Array 880, Klipsch rs62x4, Velodyne DD18+, 861v6, HD621, Cambridge 752BD, Pana 65VT60, JVC DLA X75, SR 2:35:1 152", Prismasonic, PS3, Xbox360
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 82
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 82
Not sure about 56 or 55s but I use a 559 with 803Ds and they sound lovely. Not sure Id want to use anything smaller and certainly not with 802Ds that are probably even more amplifier demanding. Its interesting to see just how many 800 series users there are with Meridian kit. The new "D" range has really raised the bar in the speaker world. when I replaced my series one 804s with them, I felt like I was hearing my Meridian system perform properly for the first time.


G98, HD621, 568.25, 558.2, 559, B&W 803Ds, HTM2D, 4xSCM1, ASW850, Pioneer PDLX5090 50" Plasma, Cables by Atlas and Chord

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 443 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,184
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.067s Queries: 38 (0.027s) Memory: 0.8748 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 06:16:22 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS