logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#37059 2006-01-04 13:18
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 166
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 166
I'am thinking about upgrading my video-solution.
Now i have a good offer for a DVDO iScan HD+ SDI in switzerland. Is this a good scaler, who have experiences? My 598 is still in the original version, so i need Duncan's Superkit when i buy this scaler. Is it easy to install?
Thanks for answers and a soundful new year.
Stefan


M since 1980 - Series 100! Main: 861v8, 818v3, UHD722, 2-DSP8000SE, DSP5500HC, 4-DSP6000 S, DSP6000 R, Oppo 203 4K, MacMini M1 16GB-Roon 4TB SSD, NVIDIA Shield, Sony VPL-VW500-4K, Samsung OLED 77-4K, iPad Pro, Turntable: Acoustic-Solid Royal/Ortofon SPU Royal N, PPA Quad P24
2.: G92DAB, 2-DSP3100,3-DSP33, M1500, MacMini+Explorer2 3TB SSD, MS200-Roon
#37060 2006-01-04 13:53
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Stefan:

You should check the 'video processor' section in the AVSForum - lost of discussions on this particular scaler. Although I am not certain, I think I had read some time back that this unit does not de-interlace 1080i properly; but if you are planning to use it with a SDI modded 598, then you probably only care about 480i.

Simon


My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.
#37061 2006-01-04 14:02
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 369
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 369
I installed Duncan's SDI cables with the board in my 596 and it was easy and quick. I use a DVDO iScan HD+ and it works wonderfully with the modified 596. The picture improvement with SDI is superb.


Main system: Cable, Apple TV, HD621, G68D, AC11, 218, DSP7200SE (L+R), DSP3200 (L+R Rear)
2nd system: Cable, Apple TV, MC200, HD621, 568.2, M3100 (L+R)
#37062 2006-01-04 16:03
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 19
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 19
Stefan,

I have a similar front end to that you would end up with, 598 DP, 568.2MM and DVDO HD+ although I use all analogue sound outputs.

The picture improvement is just great with Dunc's mod through the scaler.
I have no reservation in supporting this combination.

I have found a bug though (this might not apply to you due to your DSP speakers) since the video is delayed by the processor I need to apply a similar delay to the audio. 'Fine level' of delay works fine (0 -30ms in the preset options), but the 'coarse' (video frames via the sources / advanced) fails! when any delay is chosen, the processor looses sight of the smart link and no sound comes out.
This is a new bug to M (they have replicated it in house this morning) which applies to at least the 2.5 beta and 2.12 full release softwares. They have said to me that it will be investigated, I'm hoping that they find a solution.

Ian T.


598DP SDI, 568.25MM, Crystalio II 3800, 435 XDE (soon to be 50pf20?), NVA A80 x 8, AE2's, AE2 Pro, AE1's.
#37063 2006-01-04 17:06
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 67
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 67
Ian,
I have exactly the same equiptment you do, less the SDI Mod, and I just purchased the DVDO HD+ (on its way). Have you tried the componet out of the 598 into the HD+, then out via the DVI?

steve


Texas Steve
#37064 2006-01-04 18:12
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 369
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 369
Steve,

I used to use the component out of my 596 to the DVDO HD+ and it looked very good. The SDI is even better.


Main system: Cable, Apple TV, HD621, G68D, AC11, 218, DSP7200SE (L+R), DSP3200 (L+R Rear)
2nd system: Cable, Apple TV, MC200, HD621, 568.2, M3100 (L+R)
#37065 2006-01-04 18:50
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 67
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 67
Quote
Originally posted by johnmcelfresh:
Steve,

I used to use the component out of my 596 to the DVDO HD+ and it looked very good. The SDI is even better.
Thanks. Did you adjust the lyp sinc on the 568 (due to delay of Hd+) or was there no delay?
Texas Steve


Texas Steve
#37066 2006-01-04 18:52
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Quote
Originally posted by Simon:
Although I am not certain, I think I had read some time back that this unit does not de-interlace 1080i properly
No it doesn't. Neither does the Crystalio (I). BOth will scale 1080i though.

You have to go the latest generation kit (DVDO VP30, Crystalio II) or the Lumagen Vision HDP and HDP Pro to do proper per pixel inverse telecine pull-down of 1080i sources.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
#37067 2006-01-05 10:01
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 19
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 19
Texas Steve,
Yes, I had the gear connected by the component outputs. I've never had a problem with the picture through the iscan (now just superb using SDI) although my screen can't accept native res. via DVI - a daft assumption of mine.

I can't say if the audio delay is different, but once I has resetting stuff after applying the SDI mods. I wanted to properly set up the lipsync.

If you have the same gear, connected using the smart link, try inserting a delay of video frames via the options in 'sources / advanced', as soon as you do the comms link disappears. You don't mention what you use down stream, I (and everyone else) have this problem using analogue outputs.

M are 'human' in that they can make mistakes, but once found they normally sort it out (this is the third software bug I personally have come across).

VirusKiller,
Whilst talking to M. I asked for a definition (in ms) of the 'Video frames' (50 / 60 hz ?) but didn't get a firm response. I will pursue next time I contact them, the main 568 designer is out on business until next week.

ncpl,
I'm still curious how you managed to apply 59ms delay in your set-up, do you have a 568 or G series?

Ian T.


598DP SDI, 568.25MM, Crystalio II 3800, 435 XDE (soon to be 50pf20?), NVA A80 x 8, AE2's, AE2 Pro, AE1's.
#37068 2006-01-05 12:03
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
Ian,

It's a G68. I think it depends on how many MRC filters are in use as to whether you can exceed 30ms. Not sure what the threshold is though.

The variation in broadcasted channels drives me nuts regardless of seeting though.

It's CES week isn't it so a few of HQ will be out I'd guess.


Rgds,
Nick


#37069 2006-01-05 13:05
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 19
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 19
Nick,
Thanks for that, my 568 doesn't have MRC, the delay is just a single variable with 0 - 30ms available.
I guess that the G68 has a large memory buffer available amungst other things.

Cheers anyway.
Ian T.


598DP SDI, 568.25MM, Crystalio II 3800, 435 XDE (soon to be 50pf20?), NVA A80 x 8, AE2's, AE2 Pro, AE1's.
#37070 2006-01-05 13:26
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,703
Likes: 4
If I remember correctly, one of the G68 firmmware updates increased the LipSync delay maximum to 85mS from 30mS.

I haven't checked the release notes to see which version this applies to. smile


Malcolm
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Neill, swpnt), 233 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.067s Queries: 39 (0.040s) Memory: 0.8858 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 12:08:33 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS