logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 419
(MDS Norway AS)
Hitchhiker
(MDS Norway AS)
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 419
I have had 4 G98 all with some kind of atrifacts out on the HDMI
I use HDMI to DVI.
The laste 2 players had an line "rippel" going across the top 3/4 of the picture all across.
I use DVDO HD+ as switcher!
None of the other DVD players I have with HDMI has this problem.
So I have now turned it back in with the dealer!
My Denon DVD-3910 that`s in the bedroom was far supirior to the G98 picture wise

So is the V12 go enough or is it the same card as in the G98? It`s an old card considering Denons new 5910.

Please advice!
PerS


40th.Anv.DSP8000SE &861v8/ID41,Meridian Ultra Dac,C15 Black w/SSD,QNAP TS-669Pro 6X3 Tb w/Core,HD621,Oppo UDP-203 ,JVC DLA-X700R, 2xJL Audio F112v2, Marantz 8802A for Atmos with KEF Reference 5 and 4C withR700 sides & rears and 4xKEF R50 Atmos
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 18
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 18
I agree with sns, Meridian can't do video. Even the G98 as I'm currently testing, have inferior video quality compared to a "regular" DVD player. I also see the rippel you mentioned. The player has some firmware issues as well.
B.

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 419
(MDS Norway AS)
Hitchhiker
(MDS Norway AS)
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 419
Meridian UK told me that the HDMI card one the 800V4 is better than the G98.
The dealer is going to talke to Meridian befor a make my final desition.
Is there any 800V4 owner the uses the player with HDMI and a DLP projector?

I`m going to use the New DVDO VS30 with it.

PS: I have allready turned the G98 back to the Dealer


40th.Anv.DSP8000SE &861v8/ID41,Meridian Ultra Dac,C15 Black w/SSD,QNAP TS-669Pro 6X3 Tb w/Core,HD621,Oppo UDP-203 ,JVC DLA-X700R, 2xJL Audio F112v2, Marantz 8802A for Atmos with KEF Reference 5 and 4C withR700 sides & rears and 4xKEF R50 Atmos
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 37
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 37
Pers1

I have G91 and 800V4. Both give excellent pictures with no artifacts on HDMI, however the 800 is better.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,332
How much for your G98?.



Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 933
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 933
In a word NO. And I have lost respect for the 800 as an audio player despite having mine modified with a better clock etc. Modified cheaper players can outperform the 800. And I'm not so wrapped in the 861 anymore either. It does not handle 2 CH as cleanly as another DAC here although the surround processing is impressive. A couple of years ago Meridian was cutting edge but no longer IMO.

John

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 32
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 32
If M "can't do video", why are we spending so much on their players? e.g over �2000 for an OK CD player and a mediocre DVD player?!

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 933
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 933
That is an excellent question to which the only answer I can think of is we have been convinced by advertising hype because of ignorance.

I know a hell of a lot more now than when I first jumped into Meridian and was seduced by the thought of DVD-A which, as far as I'm concerned, is useless. I've stopped buying DVD-A discs which will only play on one player in the house.

However, in fairness to Meridian, the rivals are catching up fast and they have put heaps into innovative research with a limited sales of gear to recoup it from. Their products are very good, but the high prices of the 800 series and the cards to go in them are hard to justify these days.

That said, I'm not about to sell either of them but it does annoy me to now be using a different player and different DAC for the main stereo L/R for CDs. Reason - the sound is markedly superior to that I get from Meridian :-(

John

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 84
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 84
Has anyone figured out the difference between the folllowing:
New 800D V4
v1,v2 upgaded to 800D (back to factory)
V3 upgraded with VE12,VI00 and software

A recent thread noted that they had issues with there V3 with MConfig if they tried picking 800D

I have an 800 V1.6 & an 800 V3.
At his point i'm planning to upgarde the V3 to the
V4 with both cards. About $3200 US. In this case i'm selling my V1.6.

Or should I have the V1.6 upgraded to 800D about
$8700.00. This option requires the player go back to the Factory and could take quite a while.
I'd then sell the V3 as is.

Also has anyone tried the HDMI output into a DVI
HDCP port on a sony 60XBR800? (or any sony equiped with a DVI port from about 2 years ago?

Any thoughts??


861v4, 800D, DSP5500 L/R G57, B&W rears,
Fanfare FM FTA-100, SIRIUS SAT RADIO, AppleTV, Comcast X1 DVR, Revox B215, Sony 60XBR800.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 37
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 37
Tassie and sns, with all due respect I disagree with your comments on sound and picture. You should definitely audition and see the 800 Version 4.

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 18
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 18
Well, high-end has never given you a good value for money, whether it's Meridian or other like ML, EAD, Krell etc. You pay a lot for prestige and that little "extra." I have to say Meridian does sound very good and are not inferior to other high-end brands, the problem is that mainstream is catching up at a much lower price-point. For the price of the Meridian 800 I would expect a full blown Terranex (Silicon Optix, Realta chip) scaler with custom resolutions all the way up to true 1080p. Basically all the features and goodies of the Dragonfly scaler and then some. I would also like to see better software and a better DVD drive; a $10 drive just doesn't "do it" for me!
B.

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 419
(MDS Norway AS)
Hitchhiker
(MDS Norway AS)
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 419
According to Meridian the 800V4 is soon going to output 1080P
But since the Meridian site never feautures 800 software is hard to know when !!!!!

Bjorns I too live in asker, do u have the 800v4?
My main priority is picture quality then sound, and the 861v4 makes moste players sound very good.

PerS


40th.Anv.DSP8000SE &861v8/ID41,Meridian Ultra Dac,C15 Black w/SSD,QNAP TS-669Pro 6X3 Tb w/Core,HD621,Oppo UDP-203 ,JVC DLA-X700R, 2xJL Audio F112v2, Marantz 8802A for Atmos with KEF Reference 5 and 4C withR700 sides & rears and 4xKEF R50 Atmos
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (swpnt, Colin Triggs), 349 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,179
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.057s Queries: 39 (0.022s) Memory: 0.8842 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 09:52:21 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS