logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1
Hi

I have been out of the UK hifi scene for a while as I am now in the US (job). My 596 has been sitting in a box in my friends attic (I know...what a waste)and I am looking to bring over here and buy all new amplification and speakers. I am looking at Niam, Cyrus X Mono or Meridian amplification and Neat or Rega speakers. I am ltd with my options here as they are a bit behind with UK hifi options. I was also talking to a Cyrus rep that imformed me that the cyrus 8vs CD player would give the 596 a run for its money. Can anyone out there with access to any of the above equipment give me some listening feedback and also with the 596 opperate correctly with a 60hz frequency on the mains supply. (UK 50hZ 220 US 110 220 60hZ) or will I need to get it converted.
Is my best option to stick with Meridian on the Amplification side also?
Thanks in advance!

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 403
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 403
Alan

I have a 596 and think it is fabulous. I used it direct into a pair of Merdian DSP5000 speakers (active speakers that have Meridian power amps built in along with DACs) for a while. It was a superb stereo setup.

I added a Meridian 561 processor, a DSP33 centre speaker and some rear speakers to take advantage of DVD 5.1 surround sound. Again it is very impressive.

I can't speak for the video output as I use an old 4:3 ratio (square) Sony TV, but I understand it is acceptable to good on better screens.

The only thing I would enhance now is the bass depth to the speakers. Having heard my neighbours Spendor speakers (with hefty Meridian power amp) it is clear that my DSP5000's lack the very low end of the spectrum - but this is not critical and a sub-woofer will sort this out. This is also nothing to do with the 596.

All in all, I think the 596 is a fine player, well supported by Meridian for any servicing needs (turned mine around in 4 weeks for a minor repair).

I wouldn't waste money on another player unless you hear them side by side and hear a marked difference.

Hope this was helpful

Andrew


Video Sources: Cheap Samsung BluRay, Xbox One, Virgin TiVo HD
Audio source: Hifiberry DIGI on Raspberry pi running
max2play.
Music server: MacMini '06 running iTunes library
Output (3.0): G61R, HDmax421, DSP5000, DSP33C and Samsung 29in LCD
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 99
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 99
I'd have to agree. I use a 596 as both CD and DVD player, and it's very hard to improve on without spending a huge amount of money.

If you really wanted to go better in the CD replay side, you could go to a 588/G08, but otherwise you'd be looking at spending upwards of GBP 3000 on something like a Wadia or Krell.

On the DVD side, my own view is that there's very little out there than can compete with Meridian. I only run a 32" CRT widescreen TV, but the picture quality achieved with the 596 is as good as it gets with DVD IMHO.

In short, the 596 is a great player - why change it?

Cheers,

David


596, 551 (pre-amp), 557,
Martin Logan Clarity, Rega P25, Lehmann 'Black Cube'
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,560
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,560
Likes: 1
You should hear a 596 in an analog sound system using the analog outputs!

WOW! I heard it in a very high end analog system. Jaw dropping! Sounded a lot better than thru my 568.1 at the time.

I held on to mine when i got my 598 and 568.2. Just so i could use my 596 in another room with an analog system.

Ron


HT: 568.2mm (Revelation One filter), 518x2, SB3, Bryston 7BSTx3, 8BST, Aerial 10T, CC3, SW12(Qty2) w/SVS AS-EQ1, MK Tripole x4. JVC RS1u, DVDO Duo, Oppo 103 w/Vanity103HD, Sony PS3, VIP 3D Theatre, Acer H5360. Logitech Ultimate Remote and Hub.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 32
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 32
If you are in the US then there are some great alternatives (and more cost-effective) amplifiers and (especially) speakers than the British ones you mentioned

I have a 596 as well as a Wadia 860x. Yes the Wadia is better for CD playback but it is 3 times the price and it does not play DVD's. For a dedciated mucic listening room (if I actually havr the time to use one) I would have the Wadia but for a general purpose living room I would definitely have the 596 (and save some money).


Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Cyberman, NeilG, bxd), 806 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.058s Queries: 24 (0.037s) Memory: 0.8437 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 21:26:38 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS