logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#309497 2023-03-28 09:32
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 44
Likes: 2
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 44
Likes: 2
I haven’t visited this site for several years. Hello again and I hope I may be welcomed back in smile

I have a Meridian Sooloos system with a MD600 and a MS600. Probably a bit ‘old hat’ by now but it has been working reasonably reliably until now.

I cannot get my MS600 to function.

1) It doesn’t appear in Meridian Sooloos Configuration

2) In Control:PC I can view my files

3) In the top right corner of Control:PC I can only see ‘Control:PC on DESKTOP-U9CVIEB’ but not ‘MS600’

4) On my iPad I get a drop-down box at top right saying ‘Zones – please select a zone’. This doesn’t work which ties in with 3) above

5) Checking in my router manager I can see that the MS600 is connected but no data has been sent or received

6) I’ve changed the Ethernet cable. The indicator lights at each end are showing correctly

7) When I turn on the MD600 (using the rear switch) the light on the on/off button on the front illuminates initially blue and then eventually to white. When I turn on the MS600 (using the rear switch) the light on the on/off button on the front illuminates initially white and then eventually to blue. I believe that blue is the standby indication? I’ve tried pressing the front button on the MS600 to turn it from blue to white after the initial startup.

8) I’ve gone through the routine several times of turning everything off (PC, router, ethernet switch, MD600, MS600) and then restarting in varying sequences. In the past when there have been any problems I’ve found that doing this routine sorted things out.

I’m starting to wonder if there is a fault in the MS600. I don’t know if Meridian will still do repairs on a MS600 but before I pack it up and send it off I want to sure I haven’t missed anything obvious.

Any comment will be much appreciated. Thank you


Control:PC, MS600 & MD600, Audio Note M5 pre-amp, Conquest power amps, Magnum Dynalab MD108 tuner, Duevel Bella Luna speakers. Approx 2000 albums on Sooloos - wide range of genres.
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167
Likes: 43
bxd Offline
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167
Likes: 43
Hi,

Sounds like it might be an issue with the switch mode power supply. Have a word with MrTechGuy or Steve (SWPNT) on the forum.

I haven’t had any issues with my MS600 but I had my MD600 back with MrTechGuy for a new power supply last summer.

Also, it might be handy to pick up a second hand MC200 as a back up option.

Brian

Last edited by bxd; 2023-03-28 09:45. Reason: addition

Main: G65, MD600 Sooloos, MC200 Roon Core, MS600, 210, 218, UHD722, DSP5200SE, DSP5200HCSE, M6 & DSW.2
System 2: AC200 MS200, WiiM Pro+, M6.
Other: DSP5000 (96/24v1), DSP3300.
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 44
Likes: 2
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 44
Likes: 2
Thank you Brian. I was unaware of Mr Tech Guy, so it's very useful to know about this company. I would have called Meridian regarding a possible repair but I guess they may not offer this service on older equipment.


Control:PC, MS600 & MD600, Audio Note M5 pre-amp, Conquest power amps, Magnum Dynalab MD108 tuner, Duevel Bella Luna speakers. Approx 2000 albums on Sooloos - wide range of genres.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 831
Likes: 161
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 831
Likes: 161
Hi Jeremy,

Definitely sounds like the PSU is on its way out...

Please feel free to drop me a PM if you would like me to take a look at it.

Cheers,

Steve


Main: 861v6 (LPS), 808v6, UHD722, DSP8000SE Anniversaries, DSP5200.2HC, DSP7200.2, SW1600, Sky Q, Cambridge Audio BD, Roon, M80
Office: 861v4 (LPS), 818v3, 800v4, HD621, M&K S150P, DSP5500HC, M&K MPS2810 sub x2
Son's system: 861v4, HD621, DSP6000.2, DSP5200HC, DSP33
Spare: MCD, 100 Series, 200 Series, 500 Series, F80s, C15s.
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 44
Likes: 2
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 44
Likes: 2
Steve - I've just sent you a rather wordy email and you have quickly replied. We'll take it from there.

Cheers

Jeremy


Control:PC, MS600 & MD600, Audio Note M5 pre-amp, Conquest power amps, Magnum Dynalab MD108 tuner, Duevel Bella Luna speakers. Approx 2000 albums on Sooloos - wide range of genres.
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 44
Likes: 2
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 44
Likes: 2
Problem sorted! On Brian's helpful recommendation I contacted Mr TechGuy and Steve. I decided to go with Steve because he is within a reasonable driving distance from my home, but thank you to Russ at Mr Techguy for your prompt and helpful reply.

As Steve had suspected, it was the PSU in my MS600 that was the problem. Apparently they are prone to failure. Figuring out how to get inside the MS600 was initially a bit of a challenge (Steve hadn’t actually worked on one of these before) but once that was done the repair was fast and straightforward.

Thanks Steve. Great service and a nice guy.


Control:PC, MS600 & MD600, Audio Note M5 pre-amp, Conquest power amps, Magnum Dynalab MD108 tuner, Duevel Bella Luna speakers. Approx 2000 albums on Sooloos - wide range of genres.
2 members like this: Gianni, Alastair
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
How to get into the MS600 (and MD600 for that matter) might be a very useful addition to the wiki if either you or Steve fancied writing it up. Between my dad and I we have a couple of both and replacing PSU and CMOS batteries is likely to feature in our futures at some point!

Many thanks
Richard


Main system; 861v8 ID41, DSP8000SEU fronts with DSP5500 centre and DSP7000 rears (all in lovely silver) 504, HD621
Second system 861v4 ID40 LPS, G98DH, 504, HD621, 2x DSP5200 with DSP5200 centre
MD600 tucked away in study. Lots of other Meridian!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 831
Likes: 161
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 831
Likes: 161
Hi Richard,

The MS600 is fairly simple to get into...

1) Remove the four rubber feet
2) Remove the slide-in covers that hide the rack mounting points (they slide out - downwards - hence removing the feet)
3) Remove the top four T25 bolts that hold the outer top cover (one in each corner - hidden by the slide-in covers)
4) Undo the umpteen bolts that hold down the inner top cover

1/2 hour later and after a stiff drink, you're finally inside the unit...

Re-assembly is the reverse of disassembly!

The unit has an ECM40UT31 switch-mode PSU, no batteries as it is effectively a cut-down ID41 and analogue output card.

Hope that helps everyone out.

Cheers,

Steve


Main: 861v6 (LPS), 808v6, UHD722, DSP8000SE Anniversaries, DSP5200.2HC, DSP7200.2, SW1600, Sky Q, Cambridge Audio BD, Roon, M80
Office: 861v4 (LPS), 818v3, 800v4, HD621, M&K S150P, DSP5500HC, M&K MPS2810 sub x2
Son's system: 861v4, HD621, DSP6000.2, DSP5200HC, DSP33
Spare: MCD, 100 Series, 200 Series, 500 Series, F80s, C15s.
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
Very much thanks


Main system; 861v8 ID41, DSP8000SEU fronts with DSP5500 centre and DSP7000 rears (all in lovely silver) 504, HD621
Second system 861v4 ID40 LPS, G98DH, 504, HD621, 2x DSP5200 with DSP5200 centre
MD600 tucked away in study. Lots of other Meridian!

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 179 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.042s Queries: 34 (0.020s) Memory: 0.8641 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 06:07:04 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS