logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#305071 2022-03-24 12:27
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
I have just acquired a Director DAC for use with a WIN10 PC - when I try and play any files, I get a pronounced amount of background hiss (but the files play). I have an existing Director, which I have had for some while, working on a Win11 (laptop) PC, and this doesn't have the same problem (even when running the laptop from its mains supply). I tried swapping the DACs and the problem stays with the PC, so its not the DAC itself which is the main issue. I also have an Explorer 1 and this works OK on the 'noisy' PC. I don't know what version of firmware any of the DACs is running and can't find out since Meridian has now removed all drivers etc. from its website (unless anyone can ping me a copy of the right files and a quick 'how to' guide?)

I'm guessing that the problem is a ground-loop or a noisy USB supply in the (all-in-one Dell desktop) PC? This wouldn't explain why the Explorer works OK, though... Can I safely run safely the Director with its external power supply? Would this automatically disconnect the USB supply?

Any suggestions or ideas gratefully received.


G68ADV, G98DH, M60C, Director, Explorer
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 78
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 78
Likes: 1
Hi

It is recommended that you first replace the computer and troubleshoot whether it is the PC or your DAC.

I used foobar in Win10 for this work.


JBL SPD-40HD, SDEC-4500P/X
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Hi

Thanks for the reply. As noted in my post, I tried swapping the DAC to another PC (a laptop) and the problem goes away, so the problem is with the PC (USB-supply?) or grounding from PC-DAC-amp. The question is, how to fix it?!


G68ADV, G98DH, M60C, Director, Explorer
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 46
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 46
Likes: 1
Are there any other digital outputs on the PC you can try? I use my Director with the optical out from the PC.


System: DSP7200SE (upgraded) + RPI (PiCorePlayer) with Allo Digione running Squeezebox system.

Also various legacy 500 components - 557x2, 502, 508-20bit, 566-24bit plus too many other misc amps/speakers.
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 78
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 78
Likes: 1
I suggest you read the documentation first.

This DAC, a brand-new accessory, has a separate power adapter.

You can try to use the mobile phone charger to connect to the USB cable.
The premise is that you should first measure the correct voltage with a multimeter to avoid damaging the equipment.

The DAC has driver: Meridian_USB2_audio_v1.68-19_driver_installer.zip, have your installed it or using a Windows driver?


JBL SPD-40HD, SDEC-4500P/X
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Sadly, there are no other digital outputs on the PC.


G68ADV, G98DH, M60C, Director, Explorer
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the driver and it is no longer available on Meridian's website, so I'm using the Windows default driver. Is there somewhere I can download the Meridian driver from? Will the ZIP file package also allow me to check and upgrade the firmware, if needed?

Does anyone have experience of using a USB isolator (e.g. "Nobsound USB to USB Isolator Module Audio Noise Eliminator Industrial Isolator Protection" which is available from Amazon for 20-odd pounds)? This might be a solution.
The alternative (which "should" work) is a USB to SPDIF converter, but these are more than twice the price, so I don't want to go down this route unless it is the only option.


G68ADV, G98DH, M60C, Director, Explorer
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,980
Likes: 200
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,980
Likes: 200
FWIW, when I regularly used my Director connected to my Mac no other firmware was required. For example, in Amarra Luxe, it automatically revealed Director as the connected DAC.

Also, no other software/firmware was required when my Director was directly connected to my Squeezebox Touch - with the latter showing ‘Meridian Director’ on-screen as the connected DAC.

In both cases, the supplied PSU was not required.


Not an Actor, nor married to Jamie-Lee Curtis.

#1: DSP5200SE|DSW.2|218|210|506.2|504
#2: Prime/PSU|SOtM sMS-200 Mini NEO SE|Focal Stellia
#3: Other stuff
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 46
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 46
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by DrPeter
Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the driver and it is no longer available on Meridian's website, so I'm using the Windows default driver. Is there somewhere I can download the Meridian driver from? Will the ZIP file package also allow me to check and upgrade the firmware, if needed?
I've sent you a PM


System: DSP7200SE (upgraded) + RPI (PiCorePlayer) with Allo Digione running Squeezebox system.

Also various legacy 500 components - 557x2, 502, 508-20bit, 566-24bit plus too many other misc amps/speakers.
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
I've just replied.


G68ADV, G98DH, M60C, Director, Explorer

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 666 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.049s Queries: 35 (0.029s) Memory: 0.8670 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 16:39:00 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS