logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Hi Jon

I have to say I'd forgotten about the original 800, but I was under the impression all the 8xx's had a digital coax output, even those built today smile

With regard to your second question, I think it comes down to your individual priorities:

- If you want something that plays DVD videos, I suspect the 800 might have been overtaken on the video side of things by more recent (and less expensive) video players, but (as Brian says) it won't replace your 568 (unless I've missed something);

- If you want the best two-channel sound, I'd get an 808 and feed it directly into your front speakers (retaining the 568 for surround sound duties);

- If you want the best surround sound, then I'd be inclined to get an 808, feed it into your 568 and look towards an 861 at some point in your future smile

Hope this helps,
Jeremy

Last edited by Jeremy A-H; 2022-01-03 00:21.

Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 37
SEH
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 37
Thanks Brian, for the clarification. Didn't realize the 800 didn't have DSP on board.

Steve


Trinnov Altitude 16, 271, DSP7200SE front L/R, DSP7200SE HC center, 556 amp for rear surrounds, Magnetar UDP800 universal disc player, REL Acoustics Subwoofer Carbon Special, ROON Nucleus One,
Direct TV satellite box, Xbox One S, Nintendo Switch, Sony XR 77A80J OLED
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 545
Likes: 23
Not sure about sound, but among Meridian players, I have had a few pass-through. 800, 598, 508, 506, and 500. All have had issues with the exception of the 500. Two are currently operating without issue. So for reliability I would suggest the 500.


M2.0>ROON: C15/DSP6K
C2.2>ROON: ALLO DIGIONE/DSP5K+D2500x2
W2.2>ROON: C10/DSP33+D2500
R2.0>ROON R: MiniDSP SHD>SCHIIT Freya+(Forkbeard)>3eAudio A7 Mono>>>Apogee Scintilla

Projects. ROON streamer with serial RS232 volume control
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 37
SEH
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 37
Thanks Jeremy for the insights, appreciated.

Steve


Trinnov Altitude 16, 271, DSP7200SE front L/R, DSP7200SE HC center, 556 amp for rear surrounds, Magnetar UDP800 universal disc player, REL Acoustics Subwoofer Carbon Special, ROON Nucleus One,
Direct TV satellite box, Xbox One S, Nintendo Switch, Sony XR 77A80J OLED
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 757
Likes: 6
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 757
Likes: 6
The 800 is/was modular and so exact specification may vary and in some combinations will have 3 coax digital outputs for a 5.1 input to the 568. And even HDMI video outputs were available in some V3 and V4 I think.

DVD decoding/playback was one of the best sounding in its day as was its CD capabilities. Of course the newer codecs and Blu-ray etc. left it behind.

Chris


Lounge/Cinema, Trinnov, DSP8000XE, 4x 320.2 in-ceiling, M6 rear, 2x DSW.2
Roon Nucleus+ and 320.2 in-ceiling in many rooms (KEF in-ceiling in bathrooms)
Spare: DSP5000, 598, 562v2, 500Mk2, 518, 519, 504, 101B, M3, 861v4, 800 DVD, MS600, MC200
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 578
Likes: 12
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 578
Likes: 12
Hi Steve

Just some further clarification.

Your original question was about replacing your 598. When I referred to the 800 in my previous post, I was picking up on Jeremy's comment and really referring to the 8xx series as a whole, not just the actual 800 DVD/CD player

If you have a look in Duncan's Meridian Info, it lists all the versions available (800v1-4, 808v1-6 and 808i and what their respective specs are etc).

I guess if you can go to the 808v6, this will give the best CD performance.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jon


Owner since 1996 - 501, 506 and M60.2 Rosewood - Thanks Gerry
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 37
SEH
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 37
Thanks Jon, everything about the 808 is intriguing except for the price, hahaha. I have 300 CD's laying around I haven't been able to play. I'm wondering if it just makes sense to stream Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) recordings from Tidal? Thoughts?


Trinnov Altitude 16, 271, DSP7200SE front L/R, DSP7200SE HC center, 556 amp for rear surrounds, Magnetar UDP800 universal disc player, REL Acoustics Subwoofer Carbon Special, ROON Nucleus One,
Direct TV satellite box, Xbox One S, Nintendo Switch, Sony XR 77A80J OLED
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 578
Likes: 12
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 578
Likes: 12
Hi Steve

Streaming Hi-Res and MQA through Tidal will give you better sound quality than CD however I am not sure if you will get the full benefit with the equipment you currently have; the 568.2mm and the DSP5ks are both fine bits of kit but are in the region of 20 years old and probably need servicing, suggest Mark Koval or Bruce at CMB Integrations as you are in the US.

I have only listened to MQA on demo through 7200/8000SEs and do not have Tidal myself, I run a Sooloos based system which no longer supports it. I am very happy with my G68/G98/MS600/C15/DSP5500s (main system).

The quickest, cheapest solution would be for you to buy another 598/G98 which will connect very easily with your 568.

Cheers
Jon


Owner since 1996 - 501, 506 and M60.2 Rosewood - Thanks Gerry
1 member likes this: SEH
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 37
SEH
Offline
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 37
Jon, thank you so much for all the great information including USA contacts! Will pursue a 598/g98 purchase.
Cheers
Steve


Trinnov Altitude 16, 271, DSP7200SE front L/R, DSP7200SE HC center, 556 amp for rear surrounds, Magnetar UDP800 universal disc player, REL Acoustics Subwoofer Carbon Special, ROON Nucleus One,
Direct TV satellite box, Xbox One S, Nintendo Switch, Sony XR 77A80J OLED
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167
Likes: 43
bxd Offline
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167
Likes: 43
Hi Steve,

I quite agree with the comments from Jon but I'd also comment that 2nd user Meridian kit seems cheaper in the US than it does here in the UK, so an 800 might not be out of the question for you.

Personally, I couldn't justify the cost of an 800 in the UK (usually over £1200UKP) when it's mainly been superseded for video by better Blu-ray players. I can't speak for the CD playback on the 800 but I'm more than happy with my 598 (Mr TechGuy recently replaced the DVD drive) if required for CD duties. You haven't mentioned any Blu-ray playback (or DVD playback from a Blu-ray player) so another option might be to add a HD621* unit to your 568.2 mm input (if need be you can use a manual VGA switch to go between the HD621 and the SmartLink outputs of a 598 or G series DVD player) and add a Blu-ray player.

Like Jon, I generally stick with my Sooloos 'streaming' system for my main (ripped) CD playback although I do have Roon/Tidal for MQA playback if required. There are many people on here who stream to older DSP speakers, my only thought against the 568.2 in that context, might be a lack of upscaling and apodising that's available on G series kit, but that's another story and I don't want to digress too much (although I probably have).

(*If you have UHD Blu-ray capability that's a bit of an issue with the HD621, as it can't handle 4k and the 4k capable UHD722 is a bit more expensive.)

Brian


Main: G65, MD600 Sooloos, MC200 Roon Core, MS600, 210, 218, UHD722, DSP5200SE, DSP5200HCSE, M6 & DSW.2
System 2: AC200 MS200, WiiM Pro+, M6.
Other: DSP5000 (96/24v1), DSP3300.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Seconded on the 800. I sold my 800v4 for $1,000 in 2013, came to regret selling it, and rebought one in 2019 for .... $1,000. Had The Repair Shop give it the once over last year, which included replacing the drive. Now I figure its good for another 15.

Last edited by Simon; 2022-01-05 01:02.

My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 247
Likes: 5
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 247
Likes: 5
Seconded.

I bought my 800v4 from USA a couple of years ago - same : cost me about $1000USD (maybe even slightly less if I recall).

I also recall others on here (although I can't remember who; speak up if you're out there) advised previously that if one combines the 800v4 with a super Meridian DAC such as an 818v3, the combo goes very close to approaching an 808v6 CDP for sound quality. (Don't quote me on that though as I have not heard that combo myself).

The point being, is that the DAC makes a huge difference to the sound quality.

Noting that financially, most would not (or could not) afford to have an 808v6 up front combined with an 818v3, the route referred above is a substantially more cost effective option.

Although, if your pockets are deep then, sure ; go with the 808v6 upfront and get the best DAC you can afford in combination (noting that even as a transport, the 808v6 would likely trounce an 800v4 I assume, given lower jitter, better/newer internals, etc).

But my point being : I would rather have something like an 800v4 into 818v3 (or even 861v4/v6 or 818v1 if budget is tight), than a kicka*se CDP like the 808v6 running into something like a G68 or 568.2mm or even an older 861. Remember - your sound quality is only going to be as good as the last link in the chain.

I have 800v4 into 861v6 and the sound is very lovely. Plus, the benefit of 800 is that DVD movies for HT and DVD-Audio sounds absolutely fantastic. The 800v4 is a keeper for me. I will never sell it. Only perhaps later upgrade my v6 to a v8 and/or, even look at adding an 818v2/818v3 into this mix. Above all though, the 800v4 is staying. No matter what.

Andrew

Last edited by Doobie; 2022-01-05 02:20.

800v4, 861v8, HD621, PS3 slim, analogue speakers, Anthem P2 Amplifier (2 Channel), Proceed BPA-3 Amplifier (3 Channel), 2x HSU VTF-15 Mk2 subs, 2x HSU VTF-3 Mk5 subs, 2x PSA XS30 subs.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 361 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,184
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.064s Queries: 41 (0.027s) Memory: 0.8902 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 07:35:49 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS