logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 247
Likes: 5
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 247
Likes: 5
Hello all,

I've been tearing my hair out for a couple days on this issue and have given up. Can anyone kindly help? πŸ˜₯

I have just recently purchased a used 861v6.

All I want to do, is hook up:

- HD621 (3xSPDIF) and
- 800D (3xSPDIF)

To MD1 and MD2 (doesn't matter which) on IE44 card.

No matter what I try, I can not get any sound from the MD2 output of the IE44 card. I have been trying for days.

Both 800 and HD621 (including my PS3/NVIDIA Shield hanging off the HD621) play sound beautifully on MD1. But when I try to play either, on MD2 (even each on it's own with nothing connected to MD1) no matter what, no sound comes out of MD2. Nothing.

I've tried all the "tricks" in MConfig:
- Ensuring no 'last valid' is set against anything in MConfig. Ie;
- I've ensured either MD1 or MD2 ("Audio" under 861v6) is mapped correctly to the equivalent corresponding 800/HD621 in MConfig (also saying MD1 or MD2 under the HD621 and 800 entries, or vice versa).

I read an old post here that said maybe IE44 defaults to individual coax inputs ie D2 4 and 6 or something, as opposed to Smartlink but, where and how do I check this ? Everything in MConfig (when I click on IE44 card in MConfig) it just says MD2 Smartlink but there is no breakdown of what D4/5/6/ are actually doing. (..?)

I am confident the problem is somewhere in the 861v6 settings either in the box itself or MConfig but I've since given up where to look; I've tried everything.

Finally, I appreciate typical treatment with 861v6/HD621 is:

- ETHERNET RJ45 out of HD621, into 861v6 ethernet on IE44;
- This then leaves 6 coax inputs free on MD1/MD2 for my 800.
- I plan on implementing the two dot-points immediately above but, with holidays, high end shops are closed and I can't get out to buy a half decent ethernet cable for a while yet - most of my high-end stores are closed for 2 more weeks.

So, I just want to hear my 800 and HD621 through both MD1 and MD2 (3xSPDIF Smartlink for each) but there is no sound from the MD2 outputs, no matter what I try - after uploading and reloading MConfig to 800/HD621/861v6.

Really dumb question, in closing - does 861v6 actually work with HD621 3xSPDIF Smartlink on MDx WITH a DVD player (3XSPDIF Smartlink as well) on the other MDx? Or, does V6 actually demand/require an ethernet cable from HD621? Is this the reason perhaps I am not achieving sound on MD2? Is there anywhere I can disable the ethernet output of HD621?

I planned to attach pics of my MConfig here but it doesn't let me.

Would anyone be so kind as to guess what I'm doing wrong or (even better πŸ˜‡) perhaps take a look at my MConfig file via PM and see if any obvious problems display ? I would really owe you one !

Thanks !

Andrew

Last edited by Doobie; 2022-01-01 06:14.

800v4, 861v8, HD621, PS3 slim, analogue speakers, Anthem P2 Amplifier (2 Channel), Proceed BPA-3 Amplifier (3 Channel), 2x HSU VTF-15 Mk2 subs, 2x HSU VTF-3 Mk5 subs, 2x PSA XS30 subs.
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 909
Likes: 2
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 909
Likes: 2
Not sure what happens to the MD2,but why dont you use MMHR input on IE44 for the HD621 and MD1 for the 800,with MMHR you could have native 7.1 signal.


HT: Audiocom LX800CE, MP-60,HOLO MAY*2 Analogue speaker(LRC), DSP5200SL (side), DSP7200SE (rear),AntimodeX4,JTR Cap4000ULF*2,Christie HD8C,GIK Bass Traps.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 247
Likes: 5
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 247
Likes: 5
Thanks. Fair statement.

Only thing is though that doesn't really solve my problem ongoing.

What I need to happen as the future solution is:

1. HD621 HDMI out (via RJ45 ethernet) into 861v6.

2. 800 Smartlink (3xSPDIF) into 3xSPDIF on (say), MD1. This will be set to 800 Upsampling, to provide best sound for DVD movies.

3. 800 AUX output (one coax SPDIF output) into one of the inputs on MD2 : for 2 CH Redbook CD. This will be set for 800 NOT to upsample and simply pass PCM to 861v6 the latter of which will upsample/apodize; far superior to have 861v6 (not 800) performing upsampling for redbook CD.

So - either way I need to get the MD2 working somehow.

I know Carl is an expert on v6 and 800.. you out there buddy?! wink

I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm literally getting no output - I even tried to setup 1xSPDIF out of the 800's D1 output into MD2 D4 ; nope - no sound even just on D4 of MD2 alone.

I just don't understand.


800v4, 861v8, HD621, PS3 slim, analogue speakers, Anthem P2 Amplifier (2 Channel), Proceed BPA-3 Amplifier (3 Channel), 2x HSU VTF-15 Mk2 subs, 2x HSU VTF-3 Mk5 subs, 2x PSA XS30 subs.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 833
Likes: 161
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 833
Likes: 161
Hi Andrew,

I would test each input on the IE44 card separately. Set each up as a CD input and try D1 - D6 separately. Test with a known good digital output and see what you get.
If D4/D5/D6 doesn't give any sound or signal lock (turn on Diagnostics displays), then I would suspect half of the IE44 card is duff. I would test the MMHR input too (any cat-5 cable will work to test it from the HD621) and see if that works.

It is possible that the inputs have been blown. It is very easy to damage a SpeakerLink input with a PoE Ethernet switch - 48v does not do SpeakerLink much good!

Lastly, it may be worth re-flashing the unit's firmware, re-typing, and re-configuring everything from scratch to rule out any configuration errors. You could also re-seat the card in case it has worked loose...

Otherwise, you'll need to speak to a dealer in order to obtain a replacement IE44 card or speak to the original seller to arrange some form of refund.

Good luck,

Steve


Main: 861v6 (LPS), 808v6, UHD722, DSP8000SE Anniversaries, DSP5200.2HC, DSP7200.2, SW1600, Sky Q, Cambridge Audio BD, Roon, M80
Office: 861v4 (LPS), 818v3, 800v4, HD621, M&K S150P, DSP5500HC, M&K MPS2810 sub x2
Son's system: 861v4, HD621, DSP6000.2, DSP5200HC, DSP33
Spare: MCD, 100 Series, 200 Series, 500 Series, F80s, C15s.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 247
Likes: 5
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 247
Likes: 5
Hi Steve,

Thanks my friend, I can always rely on you to reach out to help smile. Cheers.

I will try the D4-D6 single coax as you suggest on CD.

Can you explain further please re diagnostic displays? How/where and when do I locate that?

Good idea re: the ethernet cable, I will try that input too.

Gee frown.. a bit heartbroken to hear your suggestion that maybe 'half' the card is broken? Can that be possible?

I think the previous user may have used speakerlink I don't know ; but how could that break the MD2 side exactly?

I don't know where to start with the firmware process/where to get it. I don't want to brick the unit it's just cost me a small fortune frown. Are you, or is anyone able to clearly step me through that process? I'd probably rather rule everything else out, before contemplating this... Again, do you feel firmware could be a cause of half the IE44 (MD2) not working ?

Reseating the card... I imagine that's just a matter of checking the card on the back panel ie unscrewing the screws and seeing if it's sitting properly against its connector? If so, that seems ok and simple.to check. Although, I can't imagine why D1-3 would work and D4-6 wouldn't, if (any) part of the card was loose. Butz worth a try I suppose.

Thanks again for reaching out to help me. smile

Andrew


800v4, 861v8, HD621, PS3 slim, analogue speakers, Anthem P2 Amplifier (2 Channel), Proceed BPA-3 Amplifier (3 Channel), 2x HSU VTF-15 Mk2 subs, 2x HSU VTF-3 Mk5 subs, 2x PSA XS30 subs.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 833
Likes: 161
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 833
Likes: 161
Hi Andrew,

In the Meridian Configuration program, there is an option to enable diagnostics displays - once enabled, when you cycle through the displays you get extra information screens - one shows the current input rate plus a few other bits...

If all three inputs are duff (i.e. D4-D6) then I would certainly re-flash, re-seat and re-type as I would find it hard to believe that all three inputs are faulty.

The firmware is easily flashed - you just need to obtain it from an HH-friendly dealer... Just make sure your USB-Serial cable is OK! You'll need the FWupdate program too.

If the previous owner has connected something other than digital to the D4-D6 inputs - then it could have fried the card - I've come across cards with individual inputs fried (normally buffer chips cooked) but would have to have been going it some to take out three inputs at the same time!

When reseating the card - just remember that it is part of the shared OE14 / IE44 backplate, so you'll need to undo a lot of torx screws and bolts!

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,

Steve


Main: 861v6 (LPS), 808v6, UHD722, DSP8000SE Anniversaries, DSP5200.2HC, DSP7200.2, SW1600, Sky Q, Cambridge Audio BD, Roon, M80
Office: 861v4 (LPS), 818v3, 800v4, HD621, M&K S150P, DSP5500HC, M&K MPS2810 sub x2
Son's system: 861v4, HD621, DSP6000.2, DSP5200HC, DSP33
Spare: MCD, 100 Series, 200 Series, 500 Series, F80s, C15s.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 247
Likes: 5
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 247
Likes: 5
Hi Steve ,

Well, I owe you one. As usual smile

It looks like I'm saved....

....just.

So, I connected a single digital coax out of Meridian 800 (D1) and connected this to:

D4 MD2 on IE44.. No sound. Nada. I checked and rechecked. D4 is dead frown

So with a heavy heart, I then moved on to checking D5 instead. Omg..... SOUND!!!! Oh thank god. All I needed was one to work.

I then moved to check RJ45 out of HD621 into 861v6's MMHR RJ45 input (using a cheap ethernet cable) ..... SOUND.

Yahoo !!

Thank goodness..

I don't think I could have tolerated a firmware reflashing(risk) or, trying to buy/replace or reseat this card.

So, this all means I can have my cake and eat it too which will be:

- HD621 for Bluray using RJ45.
- 800 set to upsample, for DVD movies into the 3xSPDIF MD1.
- 800 Aux output (not-upsampling) into 861v6 (D5, MD2) and the latter will apodize and upsample = for Redbook CD.

I'm all sorted. smile

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction buddy.

You're a saviour.

Oh yeah .. it's New Year's Day now where you are so... Happy New Year!!! smile !!!

Andrew

Last edited by Doobie; 2022-01-01 13:50.

800v4, 861v8, HD621, PS3 slim, analogue speakers, Anthem P2 Amplifier (2 Channel), Proceed BPA-3 Amplifier (3 Channel), 2x HSU VTF-15 Mk2 subs, 2x HSU VTF-3 Mk5 subs, 2x PSA XS30 subs.
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
Excellent that you got it worked out


www.cmbintegrations.com
One step from the Presidency
#1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218.
#2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies.
#3 Meridian Ellipse
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 247
Likes: 5
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 247
Likes: 5
Thanks Bruce.

I suppose the overjoy is now (somewhat), overshadowed by the knowledge I've just purchased a partly faulty 861v6 and.. not sure if there's much I can do about that now tbh but, that is another story...

I'm just wondering if there's anywhere else or somewhere in MConfig, that could be causing D4 on MD2 to be silent. Is there a setting somewhere... anywhere ? I haven't checked D6 yet but if that's fine too, how could just 1 output be "gone" ? I just don't get it..

For the benefit of future resale, maybe I might need that IE44 card price after all, as per my PM to you Bruce! If you had time and could still check pricing/availability, I'd really appreciate it ! smile

Thanks again.

Andrew


800v4, 861v8, HD621, PS3 slim, analogue speakers, Anthem P2 Amplifier (2 Channel), Proceed BPA-3 Amplifier (3 Channel), 2x HSU VTF-15 Mk2 subs, 2x HSU VTF-3 Mk5 subs, 2x PSA XS30 subs.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,467
Likes: 1
Good that you got it sorted. I was also going to suggest connecting HD621 via RJ45 MMHR connection but Steve beat me to it.
That’s how I ran HD621 into v6; now UHD722 into v8.
Curious that D4 is duff. Wonder if it’s a simple as a broken wire to the RCA socket. Are replacement cards still even available I wonder?


My Kit: 861v8+ID41, 800v4, UHD722, MD600, MS600, MS200, Oppo BDP-203, Genesis 201, Genesis 350 SE, Genesis S4-8 Sub, BG 520i, VTL MB450 II, Krell Showcase 7, Genesis 928 Subs, Danley DTS10 sub, SVS Ultra 16 subs.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 247
Likes: 5
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 247
Likes: 5
Good question Simon. Thanks.

I'm certainly not technically minded but I know enough about 800 series to remove (and I have done so previously) the cases, to at least get inside. I might try this and at least take a look for a broken wire.


800v4, 861v8, HD621, PS3 slim, analogue speakers, Anthem P2 Amplifier (2 Channel), Proceed BPA-3 Amplifier (3 Channel), 2x HSU VTF-15 Mk2 subs, 2x HSU VTF-3 Mk5 subs, 2x PSA XS30 subs.

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 491 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,190
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.108s Queries: 37 (0.059s) Memory: 0.8830 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 07:48:35 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS