logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#302215 2021-09-26 12:35
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 434
Likes: 6
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 434
Likes: 6
I’ve just installed my new 818.2 and finally found the time to actually turn it up and hear it. OMG this is amazing. Dynamics, speed atriculation and objects placed in airspace the speakers feel like theve grown 20 feet. I’m lucky enough to have a dedicated room and no reflective surfaces sound absorbtion with extensive soundprrofing and dedicated mains my friend referers to it as the womb!

I would like to take the time to thank Pete Hockett HiFI a reasonably new seller of high end equipment the packing of the unit was to a very high standard not having the original box and the unit being 99.9 mint condition. I would recommend him highly.

Now I’m on the hunt for high end RJ45 and USB A to USB cables, I’ve been looking at Audioquest can anyone recommend good cables?

Everything else it taken care of by missing link HCX (highly recommend)

Continually a massive fan of Meridian !!!

Justin. grin


818.3
, DSP8000SE, MacPro (the little bin), Virgin box, Sony XR77A80K, Missing Link Reference HCX cables, Townshend speaker support...
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
For a SpeakerLink cable I would get CatSnake cat 6a from Designacable in a floating construction.

For USB either Chord or, even better but at a price, Network Acoustics.


Asa Post
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,860
Likes: 375
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,860
Likes: 375
+1 on Network Acoustics for a great USB cable and RJ45 streaming cable.


www.cmbintegrations.com
One step from the Presidency
#1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218.
#2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies.
#3 Meridian Ellipse
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
I forgot to add that for your SpeakerLink you need to specify that, if you have a floating version, it is intended to be used as Meridian SpeakerLink; otherwise, you will lose your comms connection. You need to provide the wiring diagram from this forum and provided by Syles if there are any doubts.

And, as Bruce says, Network Acoustics also make a very good streaming cable.


Asa Post
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Not sure if the upgrade is still available but the SQ uplift from v2 to v3 is not subtle.

Well worth the extra outlay as and when you have become comfortable with your new processor.


In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
I totally agree with Gianni and would urge you to get the upgrade.


Asa Post
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 124
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 124
Likes: 1
I use Chord throughout. Very good cables. Good local company. If you contact them, they will, I believe, arrange for loan cables to try, via a local stockholder.


William
808.6,HD621, Oppo 103EU, DSP5200SEs, DSW.2; 218, DSP3200s, Oppo 105D, Panasonic PVR, Panasonic plasma; F80
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
I should also add that both Chord and Network Acoustics know how to make a floating network cable that will work as a SpeakerLink cable i.e. enable comms. as well as audio. You just need to be clear when ordering that the cable is to be used for SpeakerLink.


Asa Post
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 158
Likes: 8
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 158
Likes: 8
Another vote for Network Acoustics ENO filter from switch into 818.

I can also highly recommend their M-Links into DSP (if you have them).

They are also working on some specific SpeakerLink cables ... not yet available though.


Music Room: 818v3, DSP8000SE (SpeakerLink cables), iPad control
Shunyata Denali Power Distributor, fed by SIgma NR V2 + Sigma digital(818) + 2x Alpha NR(DSP8000SE)
Network Acoustics ENO filter + Rubicon Switch(powered by IFI IPower Elite)

Office: Stax SRS2020 via ifi Signature
Spare: DSP5200 + MC200

Running Roon Core on SonicTransporter
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
TBH I'm not entirely certain why Chord make a specific version of their ethernet cable for the Meridian speakers, unless it is to save cost.

Cost might be a consideration as the low-speed serial connection that controls the speakers (as opposed to the signal pair transmitting the music) doesn't have to be done with ultra-expensive wire, however I'm not aware of Chord offering a SpeakerLink specific cable at a lower cost than its ethernet equivalent. Unless I'm missing something, SpeakerLink was designed to work over CAT5e and other ethernet cables, such as the AudioQuest Diamond, also bring about a definite increase in sound quality (albeit at a cost).

PS It dawned on me, while writing this, that Chord might try and tune their SpeakerLink cable for the lower frequencies used by SPDIF compared to ethernet, but I haven't seen them make any comments along these lines.


Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Originally Posted by Asa Post
I forgot to add that for your SpeakerLink you need to specify that, if you have a floating version, it is intended to be used as Meridian SpeakerLink; otherwise, you will lose your comms connection..
I don't get why this would happen. SpeakerLink was designed to work over standard Cat 5e before Meridian brought out their own branded cable - I've tried a few ethernet cables and all functioned perfectly.


Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Originally Posted by Gianni
the SQ uplift from v2 to v3 is not subtle
I have to agree, the v3 upgrade was pretty immense. Just think of this as another point in your journey (albeit assuming the kits are still available).


Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,201
Posts297,161
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.061s Queries: 40 (0.033s) Memory: 0.8821 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-04 20:39:42 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS