logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#300505 2021-05-18 18:30
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 901
Likes: 19
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 901
Likes: 19
I've recently reorganised my equipment into a new rack. The G61R and HD621 were physically separated before but now the G61R sits directly on top of the HD621. Since then, the TV has been struggling to handshake properly via the HDMI splitter I've used for years. I've been attempting to diagnose this evening.

If I connect the TV directly to the source, eg Humax, I have no issues.
Via an HDMI splitter, the picture would take a few attempts to stabilise. Sometimes I'd have to reboot the splitter or reconnect the HDMI cable for the TV to sync up.

However, now it appears that the HD621 is no longer outputting a picture at all. Audio works, but no picture. I've tried reloading the config, no change.

Any thoughts/suggestions?


Chris
Srces: Squeezebox Touch | OSMC Vero 4K+
Procs: HD621 > G61R > Minidsp DDRC-88D
Spkrs: 7200.2 + 5KC + 5Ks | iNuke6K > USC15 | iNuke3K > 2 x Crowson T108SS
Video: JVC HD950 & 1.9m React3 2.4:1 screen
Room: 5.8x2.8m | Various GIK Panels
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
I would first check the power supply voltage on the HD621. If it is off it can cause strange issues with switching and such.


www.cmbintegrations.com
One step from the Presidency
#1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218.
#2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies.
#3 Meridian Ellipse
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 901
Likes: 19
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 901
Likes: 19
It was 4.95v, increased to 5.2v. Sadly no change. Still no video output.


Chris
Srces: Squeezebox Touch | OSMC Vero 4K+
Procs: HD621 > G61R > Minidsp DDRC-88D
Spkrs: 7200.2 + 5KC + 5Ks | iNuke6K > USC15 | iNuke3K > 2 x Crowson T108SS
Video: JVC HD950 & 1.9m React3 2.4:1 screen
Room: 5.8x2.8m | Various GIK Panels
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 901
Likes: 19
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 901
Likes: 19
I noticed a couple of the caps on the main board were bulging at the top. Looks like the HDMI output is toast. Perhaps the caps are the problem. For now, I've worked around it by using an external HDMI switch which feeds the TV/PJ video directly and HD621 the audio portion separately.


Chris
Srces: Squeezebox Touch | OSMC Vero 4K+
Procs: HD621 > G61R > Minidsp DDRC-88D
Spkrs: 7200.2 + 5KC + 5Ks | iNuke6K > USC15 | iNuke3K > 2 x Crowson T108SS
Video: JVC HD950 & 1.9m React3 2.4:1 screen
Room: 5.8x2.8m | Various GIK Panels
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 460
Likes: 18
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 460
Likes: 18
Replace the capacitors, we're talking a few dollars at most.


Main: Marantz Cinema 50, Meridian 271, DSP7200.2, DSP5200HC, DSP5000 rears, Meridian 210.
PC/Headphones: Mytek Liberty II, Sansui CA-F1, Sansui B-2301, Sennheiser HD800, Kef R3

1 member likes this: Chris G
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 901
Likes: 19
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 901
Likes: 19
I'm not sure its the caps after all. I have a replacement HD621 and took a quick peek inside and the three caps there have a slight bulge to them also but its working perfectly. So I'm back up and running but the costs to send to MrTechGuy to inspect and repair the broken HD621 look prohibitive.

I think I traced all this to a dodgy HDMI splitter which was mysteriously working perfectly before I relocated all the equipment into a new rack. Even not using the HD621, I was getting problems with handshaking between sources, the HDMI switch/splitter and TV. Now I've removed the splitter and use the switch as a splitter and so far, so good. So I'm guessing that the dodgy splitter caused the HDMI output to fail on the HD621 and if so, I guess it would be a main board replacement which is over £300.

Any suggestions of what I could possibly test before putting the broken one on eBay for spares/repair? I have a multimeter and some aging eyes available.


Chris
Srces: Squeezebox Touch | OSMC Vero 4K+
Procs: HD621 > G61R > Minidsp DDRC-88D
Spkrs: 7200.2 + 5KC + 5Ks | iNuke6K > USC15 | iNuke3K > 2 x Crowson T108SS
Video: JVC HD950 & 1.9m React3 2.4:1 screen
Room: 5.8x2.8m | Various GIK Panels
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 742
Likes: 54
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 742
Likes: 54
Even though you have restored the voltage on the HD621 by adjustment my first action would be to swap its power supply. Actually that would be my second. My first would be to inspect the HDMI sockets VERY carefully using a magnifying glass. HDMI is not physically very durable and it is all too easy to damage sockets when plugging or even unplugging. My original HD621 was bought ex demo from a Meridian dealer. It kept on giving intermittent problems and went back to M under warranty. They replaced all of the sockets and it gave no further trouble. I asked and they confirmed nothing else was wrong. Bearing in mind you have been moving things around perhaps you have just been unlucky with a plugging action!


Cinema/Music: Trinnov Altitude32 8-16,218,Cloud 4 channel, Marantz UD5007,DSP5200SE(2+C),DSP3300(4),DSW(2),271,MShort Ceilings,AppleTV 4K
TV: Marantz SR7013 Wharfedale Diamond 9x4+Celestion(C)
Music: Roon,i7NUC8gen,QNAP TS253A, Sony Scala, MS200, Garrard DDQ650,Wharfedale Diamond 12.3
Kitchen: AD88 (bluetooth via i80).
1 member likes this: Chris G
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 78
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 78
Hi,

Do you know where to find a power supply for the HD621 (Farnel ?) and which reference it is ?

Serge.


G68ADV + HD621 (dead)
2xBSS 366
LCR Yamaha DSR112
4 Surround Presonus Eris E8
1 JBL 4645C sub and 1 DIY sub with WGTI15 woofer (Crest Audio 8001 amplifier)
3D-Lab Dvd Master/Panasonic BDT700/Panasonic UB420
JVC X7900
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 375
Likes: 34
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 375
Likes: 34
PSU for a Meridian HD621 ...

ECM40UT31 - AC/DC Open Frame Power Supply (PSU), ITE & Medical, 3 Output, 40 W, 90V AC to 264V AC

Farnell XP Power Supply - ECM40UT31


TV room: 861v8, UHD722,Front 2xDSP7200SE, DSP7200HCSE, Side DSP5200, Rear DSP33, DSW, Velodyne DD 15 Sub,
Roon Rock NUC, QNAP NAS, Chromecast Ultra, Apple TV, Cambridge Audio 752BD, Pro-ject Pre box S2 digital, Philips Pronto remotes, Supra LoRad Power.
Office: 800v3, MS200, DSP3100
Basement: MS600, 502, 557, Dynaudio 52se, Dynaudio Sub 250
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 78
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 78
Thank you, Gemeni.


G68ADV + HD621 (dead)
2xBSS 366
LCR Yamaha DSR112
4 Surround Presonus Eris E8
1 JBL 4645C sub and 1 DIY sub with WGTI15 woofer (Crest Audio 8001 amplifier)
3D-Lab Dvd Master/Panasonic BDT700/Panasonic UB420
JVC X7900
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 188
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 188
Good morning Gemeni,

Many thanks for this information, my HD621, owned from new, just stopped in mid session on Wednesday morning (10 Jul 24).

I found your post, neither the plug fuse or unit fuse had blown. So I opened up the unit and discovered that the primary transformer winding was open circuit and therefore the PSU was dead, with no output on the secondary side.

I followed your link, ordered a new PSU late pm on Wednesday, it arrived Thursday (11 Jul 24) afternoon and all back and working by Thursday evening.

Cost less than £60 (shipped within the UK) and a pretty simple DIY job, other than getting the casing screws out, which were a bit stubborn!

Whilst I am writing, has anyone found a better replacement casing screw for this unit?

Regards Mark


- Turbo Power
G61RSL, Oppo BDP93, HD621, DSP5200SE, DSP5200HCSE, M6, DSW & Explorer 2
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Likes: 4
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Likes: 4
I don't know if this will be helpful, but last moth I posted about my HD621 refusing to be programmed and locking up during the process. I even ordered a new PSU!. Yet, as I got back home from my tour, I decided to try again, this time unplugging and plugging back the USB xtension cord that connects to the null RS232. Incredibly, it fixed the problem. You got to love these ghosts in the machine!


207 pro, 203, 204, G68XXD, 818v3,DSP6000, DSP5500, DSP5000, DSP5000/5500C, D2500. Garrard 301, Technics sp10 mk1, Quad 57,Infinity RS4.5, Quad 33, 34, 303, 606.
"deaudiofilosylocos" on youtube

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (GMT, Colin Triggs), 257 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.049s Queries: 41 (0.024s) Memory: 0.8898 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 06:51:57 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS