logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 79
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 79
Likes: 1
I have not been an active Hiker for quite awhile. Back in 2004 or so, I bought a set of 6000’s used and LOVED the sound, but had significant issues where they kept going into protective mode any time I listened to them at 90 or higher for more than 10 minutes. Most of my fellow hikers could not understand why. Over a 2 year period, I actually went through 3 different pairs and kept getting the same result, so it simply had to be the DSP6000’s were just not built to play that loud. The back panels got VERY hot on every pair.

So, I decided to give up on Meridian and went through B&W 800D’s, N’s, MBL 101e’s, Martin Logan Summits, Mezzo Utopias, Legacy Audios, JBLs, etc etc.

I moved to North Carolina and wound up buying a pair of original version DSP5200’s off eBay. I put in a last minute bid of $1600 and WON! I really did not expect to win, but then I had to move forward got a C15 that I connected directly to the speakers. AT FIRST LISTEN, I FELL BACK IN LOVE WITH WHAT MOST OF KNOW AS — The non-duplicatable pure Meridian SOUND!!!

I always thought the biggest weakness of Meridian was the NEED to have a good Dealer (which I could NOT find in the Chicago area!!!). So, I sourced one in the Charlotte area. You all know him as CMB Sound Integrations from the Columbia, SC area (Bruce). This guy is simply outstanding from every perspective!

I found a pair of 7200’s original version for a great price and drive down to Florida to pick them up. They sounded wonderful! I got a 861, 218 and DSP5500 Center and was off to the races.

Just had Bruce do the 7200SE upgrade on Friday and these speakers are simply STUNNING!!! When you are convinced that nothing can make what you already have sound that much better — just do the upgrade from original version to SE on any model and get ready for what we all keep searching for:

The WOW factor!!!!


DSP7200SE / DSP5200 / 861 v4 / 218 / C15 / Oppo 205 / DSP5500 Center Piano Finish
1 member likes this: Neil H
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 909
Likes: 2
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 909
Likes: 2
Have you tried 90 on your 7200SE eek


HT: Audiocom LX800CE, MP-60,HOLO MAY*2 Analogue speaker(LRC), DSP5200SL (side), DSP7200SE (rear),AntimodeX4,JTR Cap4000ULF*2,Christie HD8C,GIK Bass Traps.
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,351
Likes: 1
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,351
Likes: 1
You, sir, are an audio connoisseur of the highest order! Enjoy the music!!!


Primary: 818v3+ID41, M6 stereo pair, M SpeakerLink cabling, Sonos+96kHz Cullen, silver DSW
HT: Marantz prepro, 271, DSP3300, 8K SE FL/FR pair, DSP M6x2, DSP320x4 (ceiling), black DSW, 520 RL/RR rear in-walls
Living Room: G65, 640 L/R in-walls, UHD722, MS600
Vac. Home: G61, HD621, 4xDSP3100, DSP3100HC
MDMS:NUC/ROCK+TrueNAS Core 12.0 ZFS file server
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 885
Likes: 56
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 885
Likes: 56
Welcome back!!

You are lucky to have sourced the upgrade kits, as we understood back in May, they are no longer being produced.

Enjoy them!!


Theater: 861v4_LPS, 818v3, HD621, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro, DSP8000SE, DSP5500C, SW1600x2, DSP5500, Epson 6040UB, PS4
Living room: 861v4_LPS, HD621, DSP8000SE, DSP5200C, Oppo 203, Lumagen 2143, 818v3, Sooloos/MC600 Bluesound Node
Bedroom: M80
office: G68D, DSP6000
Garage: DSP5000
Storage: M33s, DSP33s, DSP5k, 501, 518, M1500, G98DH, SW1600
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 189
Likes: 11
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 189
Likes: 11
Congrats. Also from the Chicago area and an grateful for this forum and that it connected me to Bruce. The SE kits on my speakers are keepers.


DSP8000SEUP, 218, KEF Blade, Mcintosh Mc611x2, C49, Roon Nucleus. 'lovin the dream.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 79
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 79
Likes: 1
90 works just fine on my 7200se’s, BUT, 80-84 seems to produce the higher volume I like. I think the 6000’s are not as well made at the 7200’s which makes sense from every perspective.


DSP7200SE / DSP5200 / 861 v4 / 218 / C15 / Oppo 205 / DSP5500 Center Piano Finish
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 79
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 79
Likes: 1
Yes — I am VERY LUCKY to have these upgrades! Experiencing the “wow” factor from going to any kind of audio upgrade is what most of us hope for every time we make any change to our systems.

This 7200 upgrade to SE is simply the BEST audio decision I’ve ever made in over 30 years now!

Must give credit to my Meridian dealer (Bruce) as provided opportunity without any pressure and just pure professionalism and KNOWLEDGE!


DSP7200SE / DSP5200 / 861 v4 / 218 / C15 / Oppo 205 / DSP5500 Center Piano Finish
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 79
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 79
Likes: 1
You are welcome!

I’m trying to figure out a way to get my 7200SE’s moved from my theatre room to my bedroom when I go to sleep! I want to make sure they are safe!!!


DSP7200SE / DSP5200 / 861 v4 / 218 / C15 / Oppo 205 / DSP5500 Center Piano Finish
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 189
Likes: 11
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 189
Likes: 11
The new tweeter while seemingly voiced the same as the previous one does show its worth on the hi rez music. subtle to my ears, but the extra sense of space now present is pretty cool.


DSP8000SEUP, 218, KEF Blade, Mcintosh Mc611x2, C49, Roon Nucleus. 'lovin the dream.
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
The 7200SE upgrade is superb. It's just a shame Meridian won't be providing kits in future.


Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 23
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 23
How much better it actually is? In what sense? I missed the opportunity anyhow, but just wonder how much I should regret? smile

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
Likes: 1
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
Likes: 1
My (entirely subjective) answer is that it's noticeably better. I upgraded last year from 7200.2 to 7200SE - the twitter and associated electronics are definitely better. Much clearer at the higher end. And the sense of space is much better - more lifelike. However, I wouldn't regret if I were you - 7200s are awesome. I have lived with them for many years now.

PS - If you really want the upgrade try asking your dealer if they can ask HQ if they can make an exception. Just might work!


Sources: Roon Nucleus, Oppo BDP-103, AppleTV, Processor: Meridian 808.3 , Speakers: DSP7200SE, Projector: SIM2 Lumis, Stewart 140" Custom Filmscreen
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (ShaunC), 316 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,204
Posts297,198
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.045s Queries: 41 (0.022s) Memory: 0.8850 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 21:37:53 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS