logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Haven't posted for a while (busy/distracted by situation delete as appropriate). I hope all Unplugged people are well and stay that way.

The latest configuration of my unashamedly analogue (now with a sprinkling of digital) may be of interest to those with legacy systems. Some time ago, I fell across this forum while looking for someone to repair my 506CD.I read avidly and learned much. Since then I have swopped the 506 for a 596, added a 555 to bi-amp the A500s, added a Director and had the 504/596/551/555 serviced and recapped by MrTechGuy (pleasingly, Russ fixed my CD before when he was at Meridian smile.

Thanks to Hector, I Ebayed a Stands Unique Midi which I managed to collect before non-essential travel (and ferries) stopped. It took a while but I found a local glazier who could do the toughened shelves and, more importantly, found that Rod Keith, the original designer of Stands Unique, could supply spares! (His email is on that link and he's also on eBay). I bought shelf supports, CFIs and with his advice made some feet for the stand (can't do spikes).

I now ache in every muscle having spent hours yesterday and today stripping the stack out of the old stand and reassembling it on the new one with new interconnects and new units. I have just listened to 2 of my favourite CDs, checked the FM tuner, Director and TV and I am blown away. My message to anyone with legacy kit is that it is worth persevering with. Get it serviced and give it the right stand and it can sound wonderful. I have never heard my stack sounding this good and don't think I'll want to make any more changes. Just listen smile Much of this is down to help and advice on this forum. Thanks.

Take this [Linked Image]

And this [Linked Image]

Add this [Linked Image]

To this [Linked Image]

And get this [Linked Image]

(and a set of aches smile ). I am, obviously, heavily biased but I think it sounds wonderful and am looking forward to hours / weeks / months / years of happy listening.

Thanks to all forum members for their input and info.

smile Mike


*After the GL101, it was a slippery slope to this.*
Main: erm, watch this space smile Meridian Director, Linn LP12/Stack Serene/Basik Plus/K9, NAD 613
Eyes: Sony KDL-32WD, Humax FVP-5000T
Ears: Meridian Explorer, Meze Classic 99, Sony WH-1000XM, Bose QC30, Wharfedale DD1
Network: Marantz M-CR603, JRiver MC26, Intel NUC
Stands Unique, CFIs
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
The 500 series do stack very nicely don’t they.


Rgds,
Nick


1 member likes this: Mike_500
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,980
Likes: 200
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,980
Likes: 200
Your system looks really good/elegant on your new audio stand.

On your previous stand, were those ‘audiophile-grade’ coasters. wink


Not an Actor, nor married to Jamie-Lee Curtis.

#1: DSP5200SE|DSW.2|218|210|506.2|504
#2: Prime/PSU|SOtM sMS-200 Mini NEO SE|Focal Stellia
#3: Other stuff
1 member likes this: Mike_500
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
smile Good spot.
It had been on the same floor protectors as I now use, but I had to epoxy them to the M8 hex bolts and carbon fibre isolating discs kindly supplied by Rod K and, in a rare case of advance thinking, I'd removed them a day before so there was plenty of time for the epoxy to cure.


*After the GL101, it was a slippery slope to this.*
Main: erm, watch this space smile Meridian Director, Linn LP12/Stack Serene/Basik Plus/K9, NAD 613
Eyes: Sony KDL-32WD, Humax FVP-5000T
Ears: Meridian Explorer, Meze Classic 99, Sony WH-1000XM, Bose QC30, Wharfedale DD1
Network: Marantz M-CR603, JRiver MC26, Intel NUC
Stands Unique, CFIs
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Great result Mike

Best Hector


AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD.
DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG.
STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i
HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini
A capella to Zydeco
1 member likes this: Mike_500
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
I'll put some better pics when I've had a chance to do some.

I heard from Rod K today that the brass bits on the Carbon Fibre Isolators and the Shelf Support upgrades (both of which he can still supply along with some other spares) were machined by one John Michell (of GyroDek fame) from J.E Michell Engineering. I love this hi-fi trivia smile


*After the GL101, it was a slippery slope to this.*
Main: erm, watch this space smile Meridian Director, Linn LP12/Stack Serene/Basik Plus/K9, NAD 613
Eyes: Sony KDL-32WD, Humax FVP-5000T
Ears: Meridian Explorer, Meze Classic 99, Sony WH-1000XM, Bose QC30, Wharfedale DD1
Network: Marantz M-CR603, JRiver MC26, Intel NUC
Stands Unique, CFIs
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Here we go:
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Looking forward to many months of listening and evaluation.

Last edited by Mike_500; 2020-09-03 12:18.

*After the GL101, it was a slippery slope to this.*
Main: erm, watch this space smile Meridian Director, Linn LP12/Stack Serene/Basik Plus/K9, NAD 613
Eyes: Sony KDL-32WD, Humax FVP-5000T
Ears: Meridian Explorer, Meze Classic 99, Sony WH-1000XM, Bose QC30, Wharfedale DD1
Network: Marantz M-CR603, JRiver MC26, Intel NUC
Stands Unique, CFIs
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 144
Likes: 3
Apropos of absolutely nothing, I'm sitting here listening to Chris Rea's "Road Songs for Lovers" at a much-lower-than-normal volume (it's 11pm and the boss has gone to bed).

I am struck by how transparent and musical the 500 stack sounds now. The improvement has to come from Mr Tech Guy's service / recap of all the units; the 596 replacing the 506; adding 555 power amp/bi-wiring; new interconnects; Rod Keith's (Stands Unique) Midi stand and CFIs.

Boy am I glad that I gave the 40y-old stack the care and attention it deserved. Well worth fettling existing kit (if possible) rather than binning it and buying shiny new.

Happy listening, Mike


*After the GL101, it was a slippery slope to this.*
Main: erm, watch this space smile Meridian Director, Linn LP12/Stack Serene/Basik Plus/K9, NAD 613
Eyes: Sony KDL-32WD, Humax FVP-5000T
Ears: Meridian Explorer, Meze Classic 99, Sony WH-1000XM, Bose QC30, Wharfedale DD1
Network: Marantz M-CR603, JRiver MC26, Intel NUC
Stands Unique, CFIs

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Kent_in_AoNZ, MVirgil), 481 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,190
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.053s Queries: 34 (0.031s) Memory: 0.8697 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 03:32:08 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS