|
|
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17 |
Hi. I'm looking for a little help with a G98 DVD-Audio/Video/CD player. I've owned this unit from new and bought it sometime in the mid/late noughties, so it's fairly old now. Basically the unit powers down almost immediately after it has powered up, returning to standby. It does exactly the same whether I power up using the on/off button or using the drawer 'open' button.
The exact sequence of events is as follows:
If the unit is turned on using the mains switch on the rear, it powers up as it normally would in that case, i.e. the display comes on, with the Meridian logo, the DVD-ROM drive whirs a little and then the unit goes into standby. So far as I recall, this is absolutely as normal.
If the power button on the front panel is then pressed, the display again comes on, with the Meridian logo and then changes to the 'play', 'stop' etc. symbols (again, as normal). It then reads either 'loading' or 'open' briefly (for 1 second or so), depending upon whether it was the 'power' or 'open' button which was used to turn the unit on. Simultaneously, the DVD-ROM drive spins up a couple of times (there is no disk in the tray) - I've taken the cover off and can see the 'hub' at the centre of the drive spinning briefly and the laser lighting up (red glow). The unit then returns to standby. If the 'on' button is pressed again, the same sequence repeats.
I've tested the power supply during this process and the +5V and +/-12V lines seem fine (the +12V line reads +13V, dipping to about 12.8V when the drive spins up, if this is significant?). I've had a power supply fail on a G68 (and replaced it successfully), so I'm aware that these can be a weakness.
Does the above indicate a problem with the DVD ROM drive (i.e. it fails some form of self-test)? If so, any idea which of the two options (DVS-720 or DRL-200) is likely to have been fitted to the unit? It doesn't stay 'up' long enough for me to check which firmware version is loaded, which I believe is the clincher in regard to which DVD drive should be fitted?
Any suggestions as to what to check/replace would be very welcome. I'm confident with electronics and have some useful test gear (e.g. an oscilloscope or three), if any such would be useful in diagnosing the fault.
G68ADV, G98DH, M60C, Director, Explorer
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 901 Likes: 19
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 901 Likes: 19 |
What does the +5v rail read?
Chris Srces: Squeezebox Touch | OSMC Vero 4K+ Procs: HD621 > G61R > Minidsp DDRC-88D Spkrs: 7200.2 + 5KC + 5Ks | iNuke6K > USC15 | iNuke3K > 2 x Crowson T108SS Video: JVC HD950 & 1.9m React3 2.4:1 screen Room: 5.8x2.8m | Various GIK Panels
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17 |
It reads: +5.2V and this stays constant throughout the 'boot-up' process.
Peter
G68ADV, G98DH, M60C, Director, Explorer
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 833 Likes: 161
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 833 Likes: 161 |
I doubt its an issue with the drive, more likely the PSU and capacitors on the power board (next to the PSU).
I have had PSUs read correct voltages but fail to deliver required current when called upon.
I would replace both the power supply and capacitors and see if that resolves the issue.
Good luck,
Steve
Main: 861v6 (LPS), 808v6, UHD722, DSP8000SE Anniversaries, DSP5200.2HC, DSP7200.2, SW1600, Sky Q, Cambridge Audio BD, Roon, M80 Office: 861v4 (LPS), 818v3, 800v4, HD621, M&K S150P, DSP5500HC, M&K MPS2810 sub x2 Son's system: 861v4, HD621, DSP6000.2, DSP5200HC, DSP33 Spare: MCD, 100 Series, 200 Series, 500 Series, F80s, C15s.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 17 |
OK, thanks Steve. I'll take a look in that area.
Peter
G68ADV, G98DH, M60C, Director, Explorer
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
1,008
guests, and
2
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|