logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 138
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 138
NOTE: I have researched this topic and have not found a firm recommendation, hence my post. If this has already been discussed please refer me to the thread.

Use-case: Migrating from an old Dune Player that can decode HD audio to one that cannot. I would still like to decode the DTS-MA, HD-MA tracks from NAS stored content.

Potential Solutions:
I have been able to unearth three options - 1. Oppo as a decoder, 2. Apple TV + an software player and 3. Preamp that can decode and pass PCM or LPCM via HDMI. I am particularly interested in 1 and 3.

1. NAS -> Dune -> Oppo -> HD621 -> Video to 4k TV + Audio to Meridian 861v6

3. NAS -> Dune -> Outlaw preamp 975 or 976 -> HD621 -> Video to 4k TV + Audio to Meridian 861v6

From what I have read online, it looks like Option-1 is being used by fellow HHikers and will work. As to option-3 I am unsure if this will work. My thinking on option-3 can be coupled with a 4k switcher (HDS-42AVR)can do the job and still use the HD621.

Questions:

1. What problems do you see or have experienced?
2. With Option-1, I would think the scaler in the Oppo will be used and I would loose that with Option-3; Am I loosing a lot by implementing Option-3?
3. As always, I am not sure what am I missing?
4. I am eliminating Option-2, because, I need to solution to work w/o any issues. I need to keep the peace with the family as this is a living room solution and not a techie solution.

Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone and wish you all a Happy Holiday Season!!!


861v6, HD621, DSP6000s, DSP5k5HC, DSP5000s, Planar 470, Sonos, BD 50, Dune 3.0, NAS, htpc
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 36
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 36
Hi, don’t have any suggestions on 1 and 3. But why not option 2?

I don’t see why this would be any issue. I have the apple tv 4k with infuse software it decodes the DTS-MA and HD-MA tracks.

I store my movies on a QNAP NAS have the share mapped up in Infuse, it detects all the movies and displays a nice movie wall, and had no problems with different formats.

NAS -> AppleTV -> HD621 -> TV + Meridian.


G61RSL, HD621, Dune Smart H1, Oppo BDP-83, 8000, 7200HC, 5200, 4x Reviver, QNAP 809, F80
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
I went from a Dune to a NUC (small PC) and Kodi.


Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
AppleTV 4K with Infuse 6 Pro subscription here.

NAS -> AppleTV 4K -> UHD722 -> Projector + Meridian 861v8

Decodes everything lossless to LPCM and does a decent job of it as well as displaying/converting HDR->SDR and whatelse you need.

Might get an update next year 2020 with wifi 6 if assuming a 3 year Apple cycle...


DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
That looks interesting, how much is the annual sub?


Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 36
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 36
It’s like $10-12 for a year.



G61RSL, HD621, Dune Smart H1, Oppo BDP-83, 8000, 7200HC, 5200, 4x Reviver, QNAP 809, F80
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
Very reasonable then. Do you know if there are any big advantages over Kodi?

Thanks
Tom


Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 36
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 36
Couldn’t tell. For me it was just simple to use since i had an apple tv4k, and if using kodi i needed another box.

Also i just found infuse very easy to get going, just buy pro to get hd decoding and point to file share with movies.

You can download the standard edition for free to check it out.


G61RSL, HD621, Dune Smart H1, Oppo BDP-83, 8000, 7200HC, 5200, 4x Reviver, QNAP 809, F80
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 18
It's just a matter of pointing it to your NAS share and you're done!

That is why ATV 4K with Infuse6 is so popular for Meridian users with HD621/UHD722. Pro version is needed for 4K and DTS MasterHD/DolbyTrueHD content.




DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears, 861v8, 210, Sim2 Ultranero 4, Stewart Cinecurve 2.35:1, XEIT CM-5E Anamorphic lens, Dune HD Duo Cinema 8K and Wireworld Platinum 48G HDMI -> UHD722 -> Shunyata Omega Ethernet. Shunyata/Furutech power-cables/filters. SR Master Fuse@861v8. Uptone Etherregen with 10MHz OCXO clock.
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
Thanks Crion and Virtman, I'll get one soon and try it out.

Cheers
Tom


Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 300
Likes: 9
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 300
Likes: 9
How would option 3 work?

The pre-amp might decode the digital signals for its own outputs, but I see no evidence that it will then output that over the HDMI out.

So far every pre-amp and receiver that I've come across either sends the HDMI through (pass through) or actually removes the audio content altogether. The Oppo 20x is the only device I know of that has an HDMI Input that decodes bitstream formats and sends them to an HDMI out as LPCM.

If anyone knows of any other devices, please tell me!


Cave: Trinnov Altitude CI-8; Oppo 203 Vanity HD; 6xDSP5k, DSP5kC, D1500; Sony Z9D, PS5 Pro; Apple TV 4K
Living: Wiim Pro; Rega Planar 1+; 2xDSP5k
Master: Wiim Pro; 2xDSP3100
Kitchen: Bluesound Flex stereo pair / Amazon Echo Studio
Deck: Wiim Mini; Random Chinese Class D; Cambridge Soundworks Outdoor 52s; Polk Sub;
Garage: Wiim Pro; 2x5k

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (CMB Integrations - Bruce, Greg Wright), 257 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,204
Posts297,198
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.043s Queries: 37 (0.021s) Memory: 0.8765 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 19:03:30 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS