logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
Originally Posted by Jeje
Sony UBP-X800
Can it be region modded for Bluray, being Sony I’d imagine they would make that very difficult.

Regards
Greg


M owner since '97
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 322
Likes: 9
JCD Online: Content
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Online: Content
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 322
Likes: 9
Yes, with the addition of a mod board, soldering is very small scale and hence somewhat difficult.

John


808v6, M60, MC200, HD621, Lumagen XE, 504, SB Touch, 563, 201, 204, 208, MPMAX 221, M80, Explorer, Explorer2.
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 29
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 29
I purchased a (used) Sony UBP-X800 last year and really liked it: a really nice digital transport to use with an HD621 (with (almost) no superfluous outputs). Iirc it doesn’t do Dolby Vision but that didn’t bother me.

Sadly it had a fault and would only play Blu-rays, UHDs & BD-As; DVDs, SACDs & CDs were not recognised.. so I had to return it. Although this experience would not put me off this machine (probably just unlucky), I decided that if I were to buy it would be new - and I would try to get a longer guarantee period. A bargain at £230!

Paul


priorities: stereo music (primarily 'classical' / choral / opera)
boxes: various 500-series, DACs, G91 (+ non-M e.g. ELS-63)
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Thanks for sharing that experience @Bayreuth

That is what makes me hesitate - just another silver disc player that will become obsolete and fail unrepairably frown

I wonder how John Lewis would deal with a customer talking about DVD-A and SACD problems smile


In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
I'm guessing that the Sony UBP-X800 is end-of-line or nearing it?


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161
Likes: 4
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161
Likes: 4
Not quite, still readily available anyway as both multizone and multi-region here : Sony UBP-X800.

~M~


Mostly harmless. Comfortably numb.
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702
Likes: 13
ISB Offline
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 702
Likes: 13
Originally Posted by Meridialien
Wow - that mod's a bit steep at >800 Euros! I just picked one up last night for $200.


Cheers, Ian

1: Roon on Mac Studio, G-Drive 10TB, 818v3, 7200.2, UHD722, LG 77G4
2. 808.6, 8kSE
3. 218, 3200's
4: Rivian R1T - 18 speaker 1200W Elevation by Meridian premium sound system
5. G68ADV (croaked), G98DH (also croaked), [HD621, Syles SL-S/PDIF, MD600 (2*4TB), QNAP 469L (4*3TB), MS200], Ayre MX-R Twenties, TBD
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 322
Likes: 9
JCD Online: Content
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Online: Content
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 322
Likes: 9
If you mod it yourself, it can be done for EUR49.


808v6, M60, MC200, HD621, Lumagen XE, 504, SB Touch, 563, 201, 204, 208, MPMAX 221, M80, Explorer, Explorer2.
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161
Likes: 4
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 2,161
Likes: 4
Originally Posted by ISB
Originally Posted by Meridialien
Wow - that mod's a bit steep at >800 Euros! I just picked one up last night for $200.
Not sure where you got >800 Euros from , its clearly listed at 477 ...

Also available here : Sony Region Free

M


Mostly harmless. Comfortably numb.
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 515
Likes: 3
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 515
Likes: 3
What about the Sony UBP-X700?
It's more recent and cost less than the UBP-X800


Jerome
Music: NUC + ROCK + QObuz > MS600 > G65 > DSP8000SE + DSP5200HC.SL + DSP5200SE rears
Movies: Apple TV > HD621 > G65 > DSP8000SE + DSP5200HC.SL + DSP5200SE rears
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Originally Posted by Jeje
What about the Sony UBP-X700?
Per the manual it does play multichannel SACDs but not DVD-As unfortunately.


In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 515
Likes: 3
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 515
Likes: 3
I see, thanks


Jerome
Music: NUC + ROCK + QObuz > MS600 > G65 > DSP8000SE + DSP5200HC.SL + DSP5200SE rears
Movies: Apple TV > HD621 > G65 > DSP8000SE + DSP5200HC.SL + DSP5200SE rears
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,470 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.111s Queries: 40 (0.071s) Memory: 0.8832 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 01:30:02 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS