logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
On my system I have 818v3 working well now straight into my DAP speakers but in this configuration I have some bass boom. Sound quality is up but it's just this one dam bass note that booms!!

If I connect the 818v3 straight into my G68 and enable room correction this is immediately fixed but with a big drop in sound quality compared to the direct route... So...

If I upgrade my speakers to SE SpeakerLink does the SL equalisation work well for speakers placed close to a rear wall and corner which I assume are settings designed to take care of the issue I am having right now?

So my question is does the SL equalisation work well and anyone have experience with it. If it does I can then use 818v3 to set this up.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
SL (SpeakerLink) vs SE (special edition)?

Equalisation - are you asking about boundary settings? If so it’s available on all (?) DSP speakers, legacy/SL/SE, via MSR/IR config.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
No, boundary settings is only available via SpeakerLink products as far as I am aware...

If it can be done on legacy how?? Or you refer to simple bass, treble, phase, axis, balance settings??

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Originally Posted by 8Pack
No, boundary settings is only available via SpeakerLink products as far as I am aware...
I was setting the boundary conditions on a pair of non-SL DSP5500s yesterday.

It is, however, not dynamic like certain SL-controlled features.

Switch the speaker on while holding down Store on the MSR. Then select a source. You may then use Function < or > to find the boundary options and Function /\ and \/ to select your preferred position. Then use Function Store to retain that preference.

See page 38 of the DSP speaker manual


In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
Thanks for this. I tried it. It did not really help. But good to know it’s available, I thought only a SpeakerLink feature although I am sure SpeakerLink is more advanced.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by 8Pack
No, boundary settings is only available via SpeakerLink products as far as I am aware...
Sounds like you may be thinking of EBA (enhanced bass alignment). That’s a later addition which iirc was still manually selectable (as well as SL controlled on certain controllers) including on legacy speakers that had the update retrospective applied.

I would still try boundary first - it’s an option to tame artifices due to placement. EBA is more of an overall driver timing refinement and probably a bit more subtle.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,569
Likes: 13
I found the Corner position controlled some excess bass perfectly on my 5200SEs


No 18 in the Hall of fame smile I have simple tastes; I am content to settle for the best:
GIK monster bass panels, rear wall. QNAP TVS 471i3. Roon into DSP5200SE via 210/ 218 zone... Explorer 2. Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini & Flex. 596v1, 518, Foxsat HD, Sony BDP, Pioneer 5090, 2 Chromecast's for LRB videos. MS200 to F80 for a Roon zone

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 574
Likes: 6
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 574
Likes: 6
I found that optimizing speaker placement is a very effective solution. Did you try moving your speakers including toe in?

Cheers!


Living room: Ansuz Mainz8 C2, Uptone Ethernet Regen, Grimm MU1, Audionote (UK) DAC 5 Special, TT2, M2RIAA, Audionote (UK) OTO Line SE Signature, Fleetwood Deville SQ
sold (Q1-2024): 818v3, DSP7200SE
Office: MS200, audio engine A2+
Spare: STAX SRM-323II, SR303, MC200 (Roon ROCK’ed),
Roon: life time subscription
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 958
Likes: 5
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 958
Likes: 5
Ian, In your comment about EBA working in legacy speakers with the latest software update, can I take it you mean legacy 5200s, 7000s, 7200s, and 8000s?


James
NC1: 861v8, ID41, 218, 251(to outdoors), DSP8000SEUG, 7200SEC, DSP520 rears, Apple TV, DirecTV, Oppo BD103, QNAP251, Roon
NC2-M7005, Triad Silver Speakers,Acurus Amps

FL1: 861v4, ID40, 218, MS200, DSP8000SEs, DSP7200SEC, DSP5000s, DirecTv, AppleTv, OppoBD103, QNAP469, Roon
FL2: Marantz 7005, 251, M60s,60C,33s, Oppo BDP-93,MS200, Roon
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Yes, I should have said legacy comms that had EBA firmware updates.

Not sure what OP has kit wise. EBA may not even be an option.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Online: Content
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 696
Likes: 18
I’m pretty sure 6Ks had an EBA upgrade, as well.

Cheers
Greg

[EDIT] Apologies, looks like I was wrong. Haven't got them any more and my memory must be playing tricks.
Pretty sure the 5.4 had a performance bump though

Last edited by Greg Wright; 2019-02-22 09:48.

M owner since '97
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by Greg Wright
I’m pretty sure 6Ks had an EBA upgrade, as well
Unfortunately not... But, being a closed design, their bass group delay is actually pretty small compared with ported designs.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (swpnt, Maxwell98), 545 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,184
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.068s Queries: 40 (0.030s) Memory: 0.8888 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 14:08:47 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS