logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
IMO First unfold yes to 96k , full MQA no.
I hope the slippery butter is clarified before adding the flour to make the special sauce .

Hector

Last edited by Hector; 2019-02-05 16:52.

AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD.
DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG.
STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i
HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini
A capella to Zydeco
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
The first unfold of MQA gives say 95% of the MQA effect (my opinion, others may disagree).

It would be an interesting exercise to run Roon on an 8Pack machine - I wonder if they could handle 2 x DSD upsampling? Love to run that test.

Welcome to the forum.


Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
What exactly am I missing if I only get the first unfold of MQA? What does the full MQA
brings to the sound?

I am using Sooloos 218 to AC12 to DSP5500 24/96

Thanks!!!


218, AC12, DSP6000 24/96LR, 4K AppleTV, Sony blu-ray player (BDP S570) and
QNAP TS-251 and a Mac Book Pro (mid 2012), an Intel Nuc8ieBEH
Technics SP10MK2 with Technics EPA100MK2 tone arm and PS Audio Phonolink Preamplfier
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Your missing the DAC compensation and limited to max 96/24

I also suspect that as well as limited to 96k output, you are not benefiting from timing based hints but that’s just my understanding, rightly or wrongly, of how MQA can increase timing accuracy without necessary increasing resolution.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Great Green Arkleseizure
Great Green Arkleseizure
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,821
Likes: 94
Between 5% and 7% perceived improvement according to Meridian representative at launch of SE speakers I attended in Oxford.

However this is not the whole story, just a reasonable response to the inevitable question when something new hits the market.

I eventually bought into the concept with 5200SE and have no regrets, but I still really appreciate my 5200SL pair in another room.

You cannot make a silk purse from a sows ear, there will always be a small difference but some may disagree.

Hector



AV: Thorens TD160B, SME, ShureV15MK2, 500, 598, 861v4, DSP7200.1, DSP3300HC Samsung UE55, SkyHD.
DINING: MS600, AC200, DSP5200SEUG.
STUDY 504, Roon Nucleus + RevB, 808v6, 5200SE, Mac & PC (Touch Screen), Prime+PS Grado GS1000i
HORIZONTAL: M80, MS200, Red Rose Spirit + Sonus Faber Toys, iPad Mini
A capella to Zydeco
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 300
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 300
I thought to be able to deliver the timing benefits, you need a “fast” amplifier. This is what the SEs provide ( and the new power amp). Extended-bandwidth.

Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
Thanks Altus!!! I can try on the Supernova I have at home!!!

Trying to as usual get the best available and fully understand it.



Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, MQA_List, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,179
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.049s Queries: 30 (0.028s) Memory: 0.8577 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-07 02:14:42 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS