|
|
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24 |
The other thing is to isolate the 8Ks from the centre when running 2 channel. So I run 808.6 direct to 8ks for 2 channel music, then use a G61R for movies. You really don't want the processor in the chain for optimum 2 channel playback. In this scenario, which device is set to be controller? And must the Master speaker hang off whichever is the controller? Are there physical (wiring) and/or logical (see questions above) comms issues that might be expected? My putative setup is 818v3 / G68ADV and non-SL DSPs - how might that work?
In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24 |
I tried creating some sample configurations using the Meridian Configuration program, version 3.07 build 3586.
My desired configuration is a variety of A/V components feeding a G68ADV which outputs F/L and F/R into the 818v3 and thence to the DSPs. Sooloos and analogue music sources would be connected to the 818v3 as I only want unprocessed stereo for them. The centre and surround DSPs would be connected to the G68ADV.
If one inserts an 818v3 as the controller, neither the G68ADV nor any other Meridian SSP is available as a source.
If one inserts an G68ADV as controller, then the 818v3 must be before it as a source.
Presumably one could treat the G68ADV as a <generic> non-Meridian source when configuring the 818v3? And configure the G68ADV without introducing the 818v3? But that is clunky to say the least.
Has anyone found an elegant way round this impasse?
In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78 |
Not eligant I’m afraid ... as the configuration program just does not allow for an 818 after an 861.
I’ve not tried this forteal as I don’t have an 818 ... however, I would suggest:
Two separate independent configurations one for the 861 and one for the 818.
Set the 861 as controller with centre speaker as master, omitting the 818 totally.
Set the 818 forced to be not-controller and for input use an alternative Meridian device in lieu of the 861.
This should get you going, but the 818 adds about 3ms of latency into the signal path so to compensate the front left / right speakers need to be logicaly moved closer * to listener relative to the other speakers in the 861’s speaker distance calibration.
* conveniently rounded the timing formula is 1 ms = 1 foot.
Regards, Carl
861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2. [In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861 Likes: 375
Meridian Partner Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Meridian Partner Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861 Likes: 375 |
What Carl said but adding a proper RS-232 control would bring the elegance back but would also render the MSR to a life in the drawer
www.cmbintegrations.comOne step from the Presidency #1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218. #2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies. #3 Meridian Ellipse
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505 Likes: 78 |
I’d still link the 861 and 818 with a C5 lead ... so comms source switching etc. should still work.
861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2. [In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24 |
Thanks guys - you have confirmed what I suspected.
The program allows the digital speaker output of an 818v3 to be connected to an input on the G68, but unfortunately not vice versa.
Any views on whether this impasse would involve anything other than a change in the Meridian Configuration program to allow the speaker output of an SSP to be connected to the digital input of another processor?
Edit: I have raised this issue/opportunity with Meridian support.
Last edited by Gianni; 2019-03-11 09:46.
In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167 Likes: 43
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167 Likes: 43 |
Hi,
Feel free to shoot me down _ but, can't you have the G68 as controller (and connected to the D1 input on the master speaker) whilst the 818 is directly connected to the D2 input on the speaker.
Brian
Main: G65, MD600 Sooloos, MC200 Roon Core, MS600, 210, 218, UHD722, DSP5200SE, DSP5200HCSE, M6 & DSW.2 System 2: AC200 MS200, WiiM Pro+, M6. Other: DSP5000 (96/24v1), DSP3300.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 19
Harmless
|
|
Harmless
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 19 |
Yes you can do exactly this... D1 G68, D2 818 or vice versa...
Then one does not affect the other...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24 |
Thanks again. I was hoping to gain something from the 818v3 for the F/L and F/R channels, perhaps reduced jitter for the relevant A/V channels. It seems one has a choice between clunky wiring or clunky configuration. Did not Meridian once say that the solution to MQA for the 861v8 was to buy an 818v3? 
In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167 Likes: 43
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167 Likes: 43 |
Hi,
I don't think the wiring is "clunky" _ it's just an extra signal cable to the speaker.
Also, it might require a bit more in the way of 'configuration' but that's part of the challenge (and flexibility) of Meridian kit. (It's a bit more challenging to fit a 218 between the processor and the speakers).
Brian
Last edited by bxd; 2019-03-12 13:19. Reason: addition
Main: G65, MD600 Sooloos, MC200 Roon Core, MS600, 210, 218, UHD722, DSP5200SE, DSP5200HCSE, M6 & DSW.2 System 2: AC200 MS200, WiiM Pro+, M6. Other: DSP5000 (96/24v1), DSP3300.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
|
|
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140 Likes: 24 |
My centre is currently master run from the G68.
If I want to run the 818v3 into the front DSP D2 does that speaker have to be the Master?
Or can I programme the relevant sources that will come from the 818v3 to D2 in the centre Master and it will promulgate that to the L/R?
I am assuming I will also need a C comms connection between the 818v3 and the G68.
In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861 Likes: 375
Meridian Partner Vogon Civil Servant
|
|
Meridian Partner Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861 Likes: 375 |
Yes only the master speaker can switch between D1 and D2.
www.cmbintegrations.comOne step from the Presidency #1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218. #2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies. #3 Meridian Ellipse
|
|
|
|
1 members (ncpl),
458
guests, and
3
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|