logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 … 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
Originally Posted by Syles
Originally Posted by 3dit0r
Obsess implies a negative connotation which may not represent the reality of audiophiles who simply incline towards open-minded experimentation.
The FUD associated with aftermarket cables plays on audiophiles sensibilities, that said, taken as a hobby, it gives them something to do.
I did not know what FUD means so had to look it up. I found this: "https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fud

Although "fud" is widely accepted in Scotland as being a slang term for the female reproductive organs, it is generally used as a pejorative to describe someone who has just done something stupid …".

I assumed you did not intend to be that offensive so continued looking and found this in Wikipedia: "Fear, uncertainty and doubt is a disinformation strategy used in sales, marketing, public relations, politics, cults, and propaganda. FUD is generally a strategy to influence perception by disseminating negative and dubious or false information and a manifestation of the appeal to fear." As that is less insulting I presume that this is what you meant.


Asa Post
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
Originally Posted by Ogri
I’m really open to tweaks and am often pleasantly surprised. However there ARE explanations for these things. John Swenson explains everything he does in the open and debates with EEs on the topic. That I hear and understand.
Who is John Swenson? I presume that "EEs" are electrical engineers? Do you have any links?


Asa Post
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,980
Likes: 55
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,980
Likes: 55
Yes FUD = Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt; marketing used to sell

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
3dit0r,

Thanks for the links.


Asa Post
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,980
Likes: 55
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,980
Likes: 55
Originally Posted by Syles
The FUD associated with aftermarket cables plays on audiophiles sensibilities
Originally Posted by Asa Post
As that is less insulting I presume that this is what you meant.
Less insulting? You find that sentence insulting?

The FUD used by some cable companies is insulting (our intelligence).

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 9
Originally Posted by VirusKiller
The question remains as to whether vibrations and RF interference can cause a meaningful (i.e. audible) difference at the transmission frequencies involved. *Personally*, I call BS on this as I think that - if there is an effect - it’s going to be a 2nd (1/10th) or 3rd (1/100th) order effect compared to the primary problems inherent in SPDIF; naturally it follows that I believe that certain manufacturers are having a laugh at their customers’ expense.
Please note that the point I was making was not that the signal was damaged by vibrations on the cable but rather that the cable carries vibrations into the components.


Asa Post
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by Asa Post
Please note that the point I was making was not that the signal was damaged by vibrations on the cable but rather that the cable carries vibrations into the components.
My apologies, I missed this. Yes, Meridian has form on this with the ID40 (they didn't realize that the Ethernet cable was a conduit for noise getting into the 8xx, and subsequently provided special cables with the Anniversary 808, and then replaced it with the ID41). SPDIF is very different to Ethernet, and I would hazard a guess that it is a more understood technology by Meridian, but I would not discount the possibility. I don't have any evidence either way.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Originally Posted by VirusKiller
Um no, completely incorrect
Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well (or maybe you didn’t understand me)... it's been a long week.

Originally Posted by VirusKiller
For SPDIF and SpeakerLink (which uses a form of SPDIF), there is a single, ideally square-wave, binary signal with no predefined clock rate and biphase marking to indicate the bit transitions.
While there is no *predefined* clock rate (in much the same way as Amex has no preset spending limit), there is always a clock, the rate being set by the transmitter. The whole point of biphase is to allow the clock to be embedded into the signal (Wikipedia says about self-clocking signals such as biphase encoding: 'If the embedded clock signal is isochronous, it gets sent simultaneously with the data.', which is what is happening here).

However (unlike ethernet), it does more than just allow the transitions to be read. Every D/A converter needs a clock and I'm 99% certain on DSP speakers, that the clock that drives the D/A convertors is recovered from this timing signal. If the speakers had their own clocks, you'd have at least three clocks, all drifting apart.

Originally Posted by VirusKiller
True, degradation of the signal can occur. The worst form of this (according to Richard Hollinshead who invented MHR to mitigate the problem) is non-75ohm connections leading to reflections in the cables which soften the ideal square waveform, reducing uncertainty in the exact timing of the transitions - this is jitter. MHR, by randomizing the data, removes correlated jitter (the most audible form), but not uncorrelated jitter.
Exactly, this was pretty much the point I was trying to make (except I was focusing more on the cable capacitance and inductance that alters the signal rather than reflections caused by a change in impedance).

Originally Posted by VirusKiller
The question remains as to whether vibrations and RF interference can cause a meaningful (i.e. audible) difference at the transmission frequencies involved. *Personally*, I call BS on this as I think that - if there is an effect - it’s going to be a 2nd (1/10th) or 3rd (1/100th) order effect compared to the primary problems inherent in SPDIF; naturally it follows that I believe that certain manufacturers are having a laugh at their customers’ expense.
This wasn't a point I was trying to make (at least in the message you replied to). From my perspective, I wouldn't rule anything out, but neither have I heard a conclusive difference (yet). I can see how it might make a difference with components such as the Shunyata power conditioners, by the very nature of how they work.


Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Meridian Partner
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,861
Likes: 375
Ah the great cable debate. I have had very few audio enthusiasts say nay when shown the difference. Is there alot of snake oil on the uber expensive cables? Probably. It is not something that everyone can appreciate. For those that do, enjoy the adventure. Everything has to be listened to. It is best if done on your system and not in a showroom. I have had a couple of cases where even with the best of cables and power conditioners, the system owner cannot tell a difference. This brings me to a few conclusions:

1. The onsite equipment is so excellent that no amount of tweaks can make it better

2. The onsite equipment is unable to resolve the differences.

3. The onsite power is so clean out of the wall socket that power conditioners and cables are unable to do their job.

4. The system owner is unable to hear the difference.

There are people in this world that can't appreciate the difference between MP3 and MQA.

My 2 cents.


www.cmbintegrations.com
One step from the Presidency
#1 Trinnov Altitude 32-8-16, 271, 8000XE, 7200SEHC, 7200.2, Seaton F18, JL Fathom F113, Revel w990's, Kef R7, ATI 528 Amp, JVC RS4100K, SI screen. Roon Nucleus+, Eno AG, Eno M link, 218.
#2 Mark Levinson No5105, Ayre VX8 and CX8, Vandersteen Treo CT, Preamp varies.
#3 Meridian Ellipse
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 67
+1 well put


Prolific music listener / Hi-Fi addict!
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 95
Likes: 3
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Online: Content
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 95
Likes: 3
Nicely put Bruce +1


Nucleus Roon Server w Uptone JS-2 LPS.
818v3, 8000SE, IsoAcoustics Titan Theis.
Denafrips Arcas Streamer
Dual SVS SB17 Subs w IsoAcoustics Gaia 1.
AQ Vodka/Diamond Network/SL Cables.
Tempus network switch.
Muon-Pro network filter.
Shunyata Everest, Shunyata Omega and Sigma Power Cables. 2x CAD GC1
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 57
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 57
Likes: 1
+1

There are way too many variables in each situation to ever provide a definitive answer to what works and what does not, each one of us has to some degree a hearing impairment compared to our youth, each of us has a different room acoustic environment, our power supply and management will differ, our equipment and setups vary greatly, the style and quality of recording is all over the place.

Then to top it off we have a lot of ourselves invested in our systems, the brain senses and responds to our pleasure points and urges us to pursue these delights and that my friends is our collective common disease of forever chasing our elusive audio nirvana ... I wonder if it is more addictive then cocaine ... it may provide the same amount of pleasure and pain.

Gerard.


Home Theater: LG 4K C7, HD621, G61RSL, Oppo 203, MS600, DSP3100 L & R, 2x3100's centers and 4xDSP3100's surrounds. 2x REL S3 SHO and 2x REL habitat1 subwoofers.
Music & TV: Sony 4k XBR 65", Oppo 203, HD621, G68D, C15, 588, M10, M20's, M33's, 4xDSP33's
MD600, 2xTwinStores.. 2xMS600, F80, Prime headphone and PSU.
Page 7 of 12 1 2 … 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Lord Polbrook, Grole), 765 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.131s Queries: 40 (0.096s) Memory: 0.9008 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 10:20:18 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS