I wish I better understood the technicalities of this stuff, but whilst I've been excited by the excitement generated by Roon V1.5 on this thread, I must confess I've no idea what it is I am supposed to be excited about...
Neil
Main listening room - DSP5200SE Satellite(!) listening room - DSP3200, AC200, 818v3, 500, 504, MC200, Humax Foxsat HDR (for recording radio), Slingbox Solo Townshend Elite Rock Turntable, Nakamichi RX-202E Cassette (for old times' sake)
You don’t actually need to turn it off manually. Roon knows what the 818 can do and behaves accordingly.
Yes, ensure that it's set to "Decoder and Renderer". If you don't use DSP (including volume normalisation) then the MQA stream is delivered bit-perfectly to the 818. OTOH, if you want to use DSP, you get the first decode in Roon plus the DSP (but currently no subsequent unfold/rendering in the 818).
But I can say, as someone who uses room correction, that first unfold + room correction + no rendering sounds so much better in my room than full unfold and no room correction.
Hopefully soon, with firmware updates from Meridan, we'll be able to have our cake and eat it.
Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Interestingly when Roon 1.5 was released representatives from different manufacturers with MQA devices were present online on the Roon forum to answer direct questions or offer advice to users, Peter Lie from Lumin, Andrew from DCS to name two.
In the case of Andrew a DCS issue was discovered and he made it known what it was, what was being done to fix it and the update was released this morning.
By contrast Meridian were not present in any noticeable way and despite the issues with rendering as explained by Joel here and by the Roon team on the Roon forum silence has been maintained.
No communication on roadmaps is understandable perhaps but no communication on anything either directly or via Premier Dealers is really not good enough.
Tidal MQA file > Roon core 1.5 decoding > DSP application (in this case, Audeze filter) > RPI or Allo endpoint > iFI iDSD BL Nano DAC rendering with magenta light does work for me.
Decoding in Roon sent directly (no DSP) to Explorer², 218 and/or SE speakers does not work. Does anyone know that Meridian is actually planning to fix this? Someday soon?
Interestingly when Roon 1.5 was released representatives from different manufacturers with MQA devices were present online on the Roon forum to answer direct questions or offer advice to users, Peter Lie from Lumin, Andrew from DCS to name two.
In the case of Andrew a DCS issue was discovered and he made it known what it was, what was being done to fix it and the update was released this morning.
By contrast Meridian were not present in any noticeable way and despite the issues with rendering as explained by Joel here and by the Roon team on the Roon forum silence has been maintained.
No communication on roadmaps is understandable perhaps but no communication on anything either directly or via Premier Dealers is really not good enough.
I agree. Times have moved on and users expect this kind of presence and feedback these days. I worry it doesn't do the brand any favours.