logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
I am after a network bridge and a DAC for an analogue system, I have been looking at the RPi3 closely and see I can stick an Explorer 2 onto the USB out and use it, will this work with Roon to allow MQA?


No Darling, I've had it months!
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
Hi Guy

Yes it should. I have a working Pi3 with the following DAC:

HifiBerry Digi+

But they do support Explorer 2 as well:

Roon - Go to post 367

It's a little bit fiddly to setup but I can send you a pre-configured SD card if you want. (which I can test with my Explorer 2)

Cheers
Tom

Last edited by GMT; 2017-04-17 20:28.

Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Cheers Tom.

I might take you up on that offer mate.
If I struggle I'll pop over, I'll buy lunch and you can configure my RPi3 for me. wink




No Darling, I've had it months!
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,815
Likes: 87
I use an rPi into a Prime via USB. Works flawlessly with any content, including MQA, driven by Roon. I would expect no difference with the Explorer 2.

Silly cheap too.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Cheers Nick.

I can use the Explorer 2 to at least get up and running, nice to know.


No Darling, I've had it months!
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
Sounds good to me Guy! Might even get Soundcloud working too!

Last edited by GMT; 2017-04-17 22:46.

Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Originally Posted by GMT
Sounds good to me Guy! Might even get Soundcloud working too!

Really?
That is the one thing I really miss, I even dug an old airport express out of the drawer to be able to listen to soundcloud.


No Darling, I've had it months!
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
There was a post on the Roon forum with instructions for getting Spotify working with the rPi which worked a treat. When loaded, Roon or Spotify will own the rPi's audio path depending on which is used first. If you stop using one, the audio becomes available for the other after a short time period. I thought of you and Soundcloud once I had this working (must be why you suddenly posted about the rPi!). I have found some solutions but don't know how well they coexist with Roon. I will test this week and let you know.

Cheers
Tom


Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,001
Likes: 10
Please do let me know Tom.

Cheers

Guy


No Darling, I've had it months!
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 386
Likes: 30
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 386
Likes: 30
Roon forums showed me how to install the DietPi OS on RPi 3 which then allows you to easily implement both Roon and Shareport Sync (an open source AirPlay). My Explorer2 worked beautifully as soon as I chose USB soundcard in the configuration menu.

Last edited by OldDogCan; 2017-04-19 02:22.

Server: Audiolinux Roon NUC w/HAF room correction and crosstalk cancellation
Theater: 218, Allo Signature, miniDSP, HD621, C61R, DSP5200SEu, 420, 33, NHT subs
EtherREGEN w/Finisar fiber, Shunyata Denali
Living Room: RPi4 Diretta Host & Target, Ghent USB > Singxer SU-6 > AES NA M-Links > DSP9
Shunyata TritonV3, LHY lps, Farad Super3, Stack AUVA feet
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
Can you flick between Roon and your Airplay source easily?


Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 386
Likes: 30
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 386
Likes: 30
Well, I wouldn't call it "flick" back and forth. One easily (maybe not instantly) gives up the connection to the other when you stop a network stream. I never have a problem switching over.


Server: Audiolinux Roon NUC w/HAF room correction and crosstalk cancellation
Theater: 218, Allo Signature, miniDSP, HD621, C61R, DSP5200SEu, 420, 33, NHT subs
EtherREGEN w/Finisar fiber, Shunyata Denali
Living Room: RPi4 Diretta Host & Target, Ghent USB > Singxer SU-6 > AES NA M-Links > DSP9
Shunyata TritonV3, LHY lps, Farad Super3, Stack AUVA feet
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, MQA_List, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
5 members (Chris G, MVirgil, Gemeni, JCD, Falcon), 206 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,176
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.065s Queries: 40 (0.032s) Memory: 0.8861 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-06 15:37:41 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS