logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 171
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 171
I have the G68SL, DSP5500's, Roku, DirecTV and JVC projector .... looking to replace my MX-880 remote because it requires a professional with their software any time you want to re-program or update the system? Any suggestions for remotes that work nicely with Meridian kit?


G68SL, G98DH, DSP5500, DSP5500HC, DSP3100, JL Audio F112 Sub, DirecTV, Sonos, 4 Revivers (Highend-Source)
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
I find the MSR+ is not bad once it's learned the other (non M) codes.


Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Harmony Elite with the hub - expensive but extremely flexible.


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 2,314
We have several Universal Remote Genesis around the house.

They run on 4 AA batteries. I rely on my installer to program but I've watched them program the remotes and it seems it's not too difficult. We have the older model but it seems they have a newer one with nicer graphics and finishes etc. Ours have endured years of typical home use dropping on to wood and carpeted floors, even stone floors. Maybe getting a little wet. No problems. Far more reliable than the more advanced remotes like Crestron, which we also have but we really just like the feel of a more traditional "clicker"... And these are far less expensive than Crestron.

Not sure if they are state of the art or behind the times with everything on phones these days but I don't want to use my phone as a TV remote...


Best regards,
Jerry
Main System: 861v6, DSP8000s in corners, DSP7000s Center and Sides, 1-9 humans.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Interesting option Jerry.

Has anyone done a serious bit of automation using globalcache devices? i.e. More than a single RS232 connection to a processor controlled by the vMSR; and perhaps using the GC-100 range of products.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 691
Likes: 4
Formerly Meridian506
Paranoid android
Formerly Meridian506
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 691
Likes: 4
I currently use iRule with a GC-100-12 (using both RS232 to my G68 and Lumagen, and then IR to some other devices) and an iTach Flex with the RS232 to the Oppo player. It works very well except I'm sick of a purely touch screen remote, and so I'm currently setting up a Harmony Elite with some hard-wired IR links via a Xantech splitter connected to the Harmony's hub.

It seems none of the hard button remotes are easily capable of controlling all IP devices. The Harmony hub has WiFi but doesn't let you enter IP strings. The URC MX-5000 lets you enter IP strings, but simple HTTP strings need to be fully entered (i.e. the full HTTP header that is sent over TCP rather than just the URL with the remote handling the HTTP protocol) rather than trivially done like iRule. Maybe Neeo will be the one remote to rule them all, if they ever ship!

Last edited by DLinsley; 2016-04-09 21:05.

Living room: DSP5000.3
WFH Office: M33
Bedroom: P200ZQ
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 171
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 171
Thank you all, I am leaning towards the Harmony Elite


G68SL, G98DH, DSP5500, DSP5500HC, DSP3100, JL Audio F112 Sub, DirecTV, Sonos, 4 Revivers (Highend-Source)
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 65
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 65
Likes: 1
I've had the Harmony One and Harmony Ultimate. Both great at replacing multiple remotes and very configurable, but both suffered from a frustrating delay after pressing any button. Is the Harmony Elite any better in this respect?


Cinema: DSP5000 (18 bit), DSP5000C, DSP33, 568.1, Quad L-Sub
Music: DSP5000 (24 bit), MS200 + Reviver, Roon
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
I've only had my Elite a few weeks but my initial impressions that it is a lot faster than my previous 900. Previously, with my 900 , I spent a fair bit of time optimising the various delay settings and found I could improve it quite a bit. For my 861, I reduced the inter-key delay to 100ms from its default value and the number of command repeats down to 0.


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by shiggins
Is the Harmony Elite any better in this respect?
I'd be very interested in the answer to this. Specifically, I have a Harmony 650 which takes ages to start up all the components in an activity (TV, Sky box, video processor, surround processor) during which the remote has to maintain line of site to the components! I would hope that the Elite, with dedicated IR leads can do this more efficiently, if not in parallel.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
The Elite works via the hub and can't transmit IR commands directly. You have to position the hub (and its blaster attachments if needed) such that it has rough line of sight with your equipment. I find that it blasts IR (and Bluetooth) over a very wide arc and haven't has any issues in this respect.


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Ooooh, Bluetooth. Does it work with the PS3 and, say, the FireTV?


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Parky43007, Grole, BrokenDownAngel), 238 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,168
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.074s Queries: 40 (0.045s) Memory: 0.8874 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-05 19:10:21 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS