|
|
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 166 Likes: 2
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 166 Likes: 2 |
I'm not bothered about comms routing, I'd like to know whether the distributor can be configured to deal with the input selection per source (however it gets selected)
Distributor 3 manual implies that source configuration is hard-coded - i.e. CD=digital, Radio=Analogue, Aux=SpeakerLink.
To try and clarify - for each of the 12 posibilities of Meridian System wide 'current source' synched via comms, can the selection of each input on the distributor be configured:
1 Digital 2 Digital 3 SLink (3/4 might be swapped - can't remember offhand) 4 Digital 5 Digital 6 Digital 7 Digital 8 Digital 9 Digital 10 Digital 11 Digital 12 Digital
(Analogue not used)
Is there any chance Meridian will start releasing information like they used to instead of pamphlets with comments like 'See the RS232 documentation for the connected DSP' and not linking to the document from anywhere (other than mentioning they were updated in the last firmware release for M6)?
I have to admit, the 'User Guide' for the Distributor 1 fell below my already very low expectations - has even less information than the Distributor 3 (what does 'USB configuration mean - and how)
Matt
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51
Meridian Partner Mostly harmless
|
|
Meridian Partner Mostly harmless
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51 |
Hi Matt, To answer your questions: I'm not bothered about comms routing, I'd like to know whether the distributor can be configured to deal with the input selection per source (however it gets selected) Yes it can. This is done using the Meridian Program "Control Window" which is part of the Common Installer pack. This is the USB configuration that you mentioned. Is there any chance Meridian will start releasing information like they used to instead of pamphlets with comments like 'See the RS232 documentation for the connected DSP' and not linking to the document from anywhere (other than mentioning they were updated in the last firmware release for M6)?
I have to admit, the 'User Guide' for the Distributor 1 fell below my already very low expectations - has even less information than the Distributor 3 (what does 'USB configuration mean - and how) There is a detailed Technical Note on how to configure the Distributors 1 & 3. This along with the RS232 documentation is only available from Meridian with a Partner login. However, I'm sure that your local dealer would be able to help you with this. If they can't, then just let me know and I'll try and help you further. Separately, I think that due to the interest in this product I will get one in for demo purposes. Thank, Peter
Clever & Simple Meridian Dealer In South West London for my personal account please see PeterRW
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 327 Likes: 12
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 327 Likes: 12 |
There is a detailed Technical Note on how to configure the Distributors 1 & 3. This along with the RS232 documentation is only available from Meridian with a Partner login. However, I'm sure that your local dealer would be able to help you with this. If they can't, then just let me know and I'll try and help you further This emphasises the fact that this is expected to be a system installer solution rather than an end user product. Well it was only going to be a toy whilst I wait for a G series version of the 818v3 (or more specifically the G series version of the fabled MQA capable 861) - I'm going to call it the Godot. But I digress.
Main: Roon-Mac, Oracle Delphi/SME 309/Cadenza Blue, GSP Reflex C, 218, DSP5200SEU, Sky Q, Samsung 49KS7000 Office: Roon-Mac, Quad Vena 2, DALI Opticon 1 Prototype and learning: 101, M30 mk1 Next project: Vintage LS3/5A, QUAD 303
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 166 Likes: 2
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 166 Likes: 2 |
Hi Matt, To answer your questions: I'm not bothered about comms routing, I'd like to know whether the distributor can be configured to deal with the input selection per source (however it gets selected) Yes it can. This is done using the Meridian Program "Control Window" which is part of the Common Installer pack. This is the USB configuration that you mentioned. I'm aware that the Control Window program can be used to select which 'Meridian Source' is selected. (i.e. the 'however it gets selected' part) Are you stating that this can be used to configure which input (the physical socket on the back of the Distributor) is selected per selected source - is this done in a similar manner to the HD421 - i.e. typing in raw ASCII commands, just using the Control Window as a terminal emulator? Are you also stating that RS232 documentation is no longer available to the public? (i.e. speaker control) Having to have a round-trip conversation with a representative of Meridian trying to work out each option I might take then trying to verify the answer seems a massive waste of my time when in the past, all it took was looking at a manual / datasheet. Matt.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51
Meridian Partner Mostly harmless
|
|
Meridian Partner Mostly harmless
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51 |
Hi Matt, The Control Window allows you to tell the Distributor which Meridian Source CR, RD, AX etc is to either Analogue, Digital, Speakerlink or Last Valid.
This is done by typing in the commands.
I'm not saying that the RS232 codes are no longer available to the public, what I am saying is that the Technical Note is now visible within the Partner login area only.
I will check on Monday with HQ to see what the protocol is for releasing the Technical Notes. My apologies for this, as a new dealer I am still getting to grips with the conventions of releasing the information.
I hope that this is of help, Peter
Clever & Simple Meridian Dealer In South West London for my personal account please see PeterRW
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 166 Likes: 2
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 166 Likes: 2 |
Thanks for the information, so it looks like a combination of M6/DSP3200 and a distributor will give the multi-input functionality (and RS232 interface) of the other DSP speakers.
Now all I need is a box that hooks into comms and gives programmable trigger outputs...
Matt.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803 Likes: 7
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803 Likes: 7 |
This very versatile product would be brilliant if it also had an MQA decoder for the price - place between an MS200/ MS600 and MHR capable DSPs and away you go.
Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS 2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1 Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950 Likes: 19 |
Don't get ahead of things - optical out first please 
Meridian owner since 1992 Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758 Likes: 20
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758 Likes: 20 |
|
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,204
Posts297,198
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|