logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 173
Likes: 34
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 173
Likes: 34
Morning all,

I am finally looking to return to Meridian. When having our first child and moving to a smaller house 12 years ago I sold my 861 based home cinema system with DSP6000 mains and have regretted it ever since!

I was quite surprised to find my original post selling them on this forum here

Now finally with space again I am looking to jump back in - the options seem to have changed quite a bit so would value any and all advice!

At the moment my music listening is almost entirely using headphones + Spotify on either my iMac or iPhone - I have no CD's or Vinyl to speak of.

From reading this forum I am considering getting a Tidal subscription along with an 818 and a pair of 5200SE speakers.

Firstly does this make senses?

Secondly, what else would be sensible to include in this setup? I have read about QNAP storage array as an option and am quite happy to purchase say a mac mini or windows touchscreen/HTPC to round off the setup or other hardware.

Most importantly this should be really easy for my wife (big classical music fan)to use and enjoy. I don't think it effects things but we have 9" Crestron touchscreens in every room for control of the house.

Many Thanks
Chris


2 Meridian 7200SE Speakers, 17 Meridian DSP750 Speakers, 8 Meridian DSP730 Speakers, 8 Meridian DSW-600 Subwoofers, 3 Meridian DSP640.2 Speakers, 24 Meridian DSP320 Speakers, 3 Meridian 271 Digital Cinema Controller, 7 Meridian 218, 1 Meridian 818 v3, 1 Trinnov Altitude 32 Processor, 1 Trinnov Altitude 16 Processor, Barco Freya+
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi Chris,

You can't go far wrong with an 818.3 and 5200SE combination but do take time to listen to the 7200SE's as well, they are a truly extraordinary ... and might get you to stretch the budget (sorry about that).

The 818.3 has an ID41 network streaming card fitted which can be driven either by Meridian-Sooloos or Roon streaming solutions (both support Tidal, but the integration is superior in the later).

Sooloos can run on Meridian hardware or on certain Intel based QNAP NAS units.

Roon, can run on Windows and OSX platforms and soon on Linux too.

Have a good read on the Meridian and Roon websites (and the forums) and then post any specific questions that arise.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51
Meridian Partner
Mostly harmless
Meridian Partner
Mostly harmless
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51
Hi Chris,

If you don't have any stored music (CDs records etc.) and mainly stream, then Tidal is the way to go. As Carl has said, Tidal will work with both Roon and Sooloos to connect into a Meridian system (818). With Tidal, you get your first month of membership free so you can play around with it on your iMac and see what you think. I particularly like the playlists that they create as it gets me wandering off into new (and old) music that I wouldn't have heard otherwise. To be honest, I don't listen to much classical music so I haven't really explored this in Tidal, however, a quick search has revealed 123 albums of Mozart so hopefully you'll find something on there!

I'm not sure how much experience you have of either Sooloos or Roon? Useability wise, they are both pretty simple. I am currently setting up my new QNAP with Sooloos and Roon to gain a greater insight into the differences between them when controlling Tidal. Currently, I use Roon to control Tidal on my mac smile

I don't know much about the Crestron side of things, but I'm sure that there are people/dealers on here who do smile Are you hoping to have control of Tidal on the Crestron touchscreens or simply use them for basic controls of the Meridian system?

I hope that this is of help,

Peter


Clever & Simple
Meridian Dealer In South West London
for my personal account please see PeterRW
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 173
Likes: 34
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 173
Likes: 34
Thank you both for the help. I will wander off now and check out Roon. I may even already have a QNAP lying around the place so that should be easy!

Thanks again
Chris


2 Meridian 7200SE Speakers, 17 Meridian DSP750 Speakers, 8 Meridian DSP730 Speakers, 8 Meridian DSW-600 Subwoofers, 3 Meridian DSP640.2 Speakers, 24 Meridian DSP320 Speakers, 3 Meridian 271 Digital Cinema Controller, 7 Meridian 218, 1 Meridian 818 v3, 1 Trinnov Altitude 32 Processor, 1 Trinnov Altitude 16 Processor, Barco Freya+
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51
Meridian Partner
Mostly harmless
Meridian Partner
Mostly harmless
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51
Hi Chris,
I've been reading through the help files located within Meridian-support.com.
There is a document in data sheets/Sooloos/Sooloos primer which gives a guide to setting up a Sooloos system. They have a section on Crestron integration which I thought might be of interest:

Sooloos and Crestron
There are three level of Crestron interface:
Overlay module, Text module, and the Meridian Sooloos Control acting as Crestron Control.
The Overlay module provides the Meridian Sooloos interface on Crestron panels with video input capability, but requires Meridian Sooloos hardware. The hardware is called the Control Bridge, which is a 2U rackmount component that has the internal components of a Control Ten. Its video outputs feed the video inputs on video-enabled Crestron panels. Then the Crestron panel sends its tap messages back to the Control Bridge to recompute video.
The Text module is for the smaller Crestron panels and Wi-Fi units, which don’t have the power to run a Meridian Sooloos interface. The interface is a basic folder tree browser, with browsing of artists, albums, and songs, as well as genres, decades, and collections, with basic playlist control and transport control.
Meridian Sooloos provides Templates for every resolution of Crestron panel that match the Sooloos interface appearance.
Lastly, Meridian Sooloos Control devices can also act as a Crestron control panel. By using the Sooloos External Control Editor, a Sooloos Control can load, store, and run an x-panel exe le, acting as a Crestron panel. The setup is very simple once an xpanel exe is created and takes about a minute.


I found the info here:
Meridian Sooloos System Primer

This all implies that there are various options that you have to gain control over the Meridian system via the existing Crestron touchscreens.

Thanks,
Peter


Clever & Simple
Meridian Dealer In South West London
for my personal account please see PeterRW
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Do you know what the Sooloos External Control Editor is?


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 166
Likes: 2
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 166
Likes: 2

Documentation

Setup download

Can be used to enable a Control:One/Ten/Fifteen to look at a web page - but limitations apply.


Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (TA), 414 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.035s Queries: 29 (0.016s) Memory: 0.8560 MB (Peak: 2.2161 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 20:57:50 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS