logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#243015 2015-11-20 15:26
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Good afternoon

Has anybody here had any issues regarding the optical inputs on G series equipment?

I have a G68J and have found that a chord company optical that worked fine with a 568.2mm no longer works with a G68J. I get nothing from that input. The weird thing is that a cheap and cheerful 'sainsburys' special works! This leads me to believe that the fitting of the optical plug is not very good even though I get a clear solid red light from the end I'm putting in tithe G68J.

Any experience or help would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards
David


G65, 210, HD621, DSP5200.2, DSP3300C, DSP3200,

NUC 7i5 Roon Core, Apple TV 4K, Blustream SW41AB-V2, Panasonic TX55fx802, EE8 switch

Multiroom - Ms200, Nile’s ZR4
Bedroom - 251
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,868
Likes: 13
MI' Offline
Knows where his towel is
Knows where his towel is
Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,868
Likes: 13
Hi David,

I use a Sandstrom cable into G68D from PC World, think it is 4 or metres.

No issues

Regards I


Under review
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 276
Likes: 4
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 276
Likes: 4
I use a cheap n cheerful Amazon branded lead that works fine.

It could be that the lead was kinked at some point?

T


Lounge: DSP33's, MS200, QNAP (Storage and Core), G68D, HD421
Family Room: DSP5000
Kitchen: F80
Portable: Explorer2
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Thanks for the info chaps.

Just seemed weird that literally unplugging from the 568.2 then straight into the G68 and it stopped!

I do have somewhere in a box of audio assortments (yes that will come in handy box) a 90 degree optical adaptor so I will see if that solves it. Otherwise looks like I'll be changing the cable from my screen to processor.

Kind regards
David


G65, 210, HD621, DSP5200.2, DSP3300C, DSP3200,

NUC 7i5 Roon Core, Apple TV 4K, Blustream SW41AB-V2, Panasonic TX55fx802, EE8 switch

Multiroom - Ms200, Nile’s ZR4
Bedroom - 251
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167
Likes: 43
bxd Online: Content
Pan-dimensional being
Pan-dimensional being
Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,167
Likes: 43
Hi,

It might be that the LED optical output from the source (TV) is a bit weak and isn't quite up to the job for the G68. Similarly, it may be that the 'tolerances' on the 568 are a bit wider and it was OK with the 'weaker' input.

You may find that the same cable is OK with another source.

Brian


Main: G65, MD600 Sooloos, MC200 Roon Core, MS600, 210, 218, UHD722, DSP5200SE, DSP5200HCSE, M6 & DSW.2
System 2: AC200 MS200, WiiM Pro+, M6.
Other: DSP5000 (96/24v1), DSP3300.
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
Hi David

Unlikely, but worth checking... I've had a situation where an optical cable looked and felt as though it was firmly engaged in the socket, but wasn't clicked home properly, so didn't work. Nonetheless, if you looked at the other end of the cable, you would indeed see the red light from the receiver just as you do.

Cheers

George

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 234
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 234
Optical has always worked for me (on a G68AXV), but of course you do need to program that in. I assume you used the config program to set it up or had optical working prior?


Meridian G68 AXV, HD621 | Cinepro 2k6mk5 | 4x Scanspeak A4 monitors, center & 26W Sub | RPi Hifiberry digi+ | Roon
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Evening gents!

Brian I hadn't thought about strength of signal. I will try the suspect lead with another source and see if that makes a difference 👍🏻

George that is something that crossed my mind but it 'clicked' as it went home into the socket. Although not as tight as the other one I guess. I'll show it some gentle muscle and see if I was a little to polite when plugging in 👍🏻

Config program is all setup and stored on the unit, that was my original 'doh' I've forgotten to select optical from tv after I saved the program. I have even pulled everything back onto the laptop to double check.

Thanks for the info and ideas!

Kind regards
David


G65, 210, HD621, DSP5200.2, DSP3300C, DSP3200,

NUC 7i5 Roon Core, Apple TV 4K, Blustream SW41AB-V2, Panasonic TX55fx802, EE8 switch

Multiroom - Ms200, Nile’s ZR4
Bedroom - 251
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Afternoon all.

I thought i would just update this post. I finally managed to have a play with the suspect optical connection and after a few tests and swapping of cables i can conclusively say that it is my 5m chord optichord cable that has failed.

Next step, a call to chord who are not far up the road from me for further options!

Somewhere in the back of my mind i thought they had a lifetime guarantee on cables but i could be wrong??

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Kind regards
David


G65, 210, HD621, DSP5200.2, DSP3300C, DSP3200,

NUC 7i5 Roon Core, Apple TV 4K, Blustream SW41AB-V2, Panasonic TX55fx802, EE8 switch

Multiroom - Ms200, Nile’s ZR4
Bedroom - 251
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51
Meridian Partner
Mostly harmless
Meridian Partner
Mostly harmless
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by D4ve84
Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought they had a lifetime guarantee on cables but i could be wrong?
Hi David,

I thought that was the case too. I've had a look on the Chord website and couldn't find much. However, looking on a webshop, I found that the warranty should be 10 years: Chord Optichord.

Thanks,
Peter


Clever & Simple
Meridian Dealer In South West London
for my personal account please see PeterRW
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 593
Likes: 13
Hi Peter

Thank you for that!

kind regards
David


G65, 210, HD621, DSP5200.2, DSP3300C, DSP3200,

NUC 7i5 Roon Core, Apple TV 4K, Blustream SW41AB-V2, Panasonic TX55fx802, EE8 switch

Multiroom - Ms200, Nile’s ZR4
Bedroom - 251

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Cyberman, NeilG, bxd), 806 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.068s Queries: 37 (0.045s) Memory: 0.8780 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 20:46:18 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS