logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
Hi,

I hope you can help with my problems here. I'm connecting a Dell Windows 7 laptop to a (new to me) 861v4 via Startech USB Null Modem cable. I believe the firmware is 4.1

When fetching I get the following message:
Quote
The product connected to USB 1 is a Meridian 861
Fetching product information...
X Failure during directory read: Failed to reset product
X Failed to reset product
X Fetch Failed
Any suggested will be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Simon


.
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 8,505
Likes: 78
Hi,

Try using the Meridian Control Window (the PC application that come with Mconfig), that looks a Meridian remote and controls via RS232).

If that can control your processor and you see feedback messages in the app from the process this would suggest the cabling et al is ok between the PC and the 861. If not the suspect cabling.

Regards,
Carl


861v6+ID40, HD621, 8000.2, 7200HC, 7200.2, SKYQ Silver, PS3, PDP-LX6090, QNAP TS870-Pro (8*6TB), Roon, iPadAir2.
[In Reserve] C15, MD600 (2*3TB), TwinStore RM (2*2TB)
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Ian Offline
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,950
Likes: 19
Are you using a null modem cable (crossover) as well as the Startech converter which sounds like it already has null modem function built in?

If so, you either need to see of you can disable null modem on Startech unit (I don't know if this is possible) or use a straight cable instead of null modem crossover. Alternatively a second null modem cable or crossover adaptor will sort, albeit intelligently.


Meridian owner since 1992
Prime & PSU, Focal Elear headphones, Roon (ROCK 8Gi5 NUC), Explorer 1 & 2, F80. 200/203, various Sonos (via Roon).
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
Thanks for your replies.

Carl, I will try using the Meridian Control Window when I am next at home and report back.

Ian, no I'm only using just this one device,
Startech 1-Port USB to Null Modem RS232 DB9 Serial DCE Adapter Cable with FTDI used successfully by Duncs, purchased from the same place.

Thanks again, Simon


.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
Hello again.

I have tested this and yes I can succesfully control the 861 from the computer using the Meridian control window.

Now I am at a point where I need some other suggestions, if anyone else can help?

Simon


.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
To add that with the same laptop and USB null modem cable that I have just connected to my 561, fetched and saved an edited msf file the first time of trying!

What chances that the 861 is faulty?

Thanks, Simon


.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 340
Likes: 3
Bee Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 340
Likes: 3
I have had a serial to USB dongle that worked with a 568.2. But with a HD621 it could be used for MSR commands, but not fetch or store.
Some serial to USB devices are not made equally!!


Thanks, Edd
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
Update for those with a similar condition - I have experimented with a different laptop and another USB null modem cable, but have exactly the same symptoms. These are not being able to fetch/save from/to the 861v4 from the Meridian Configuration Programme, despite the 861 being identified by the laptop.

Yes I can use the MSR control window and yes the port is configured correctly. I have been at this for many hours now and my wife commented this morning that I must have OCD to waste so much time on it...!

However, there is some light on the horizon. I attempted fetching with the Meridian Legacy Programme, it connected first time! And so after configuring the 861 cards, speakers, sources, etc. I am now ready to start room correction once the cinema seats arrive!

Am I missing anything using the old Legacy software?

Thank you, Simon


.
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,579
Likes: 22
The 861v3 used the Legacy setup programme, it was Mconfig for v4 onwards. There's no facility to set up MRC in the Legacy programme (it predates MRC by several years), but if you can get everything else set up that way, then at least you are up and running in the meantime.

What cards are in your v4, and when you put it into standby and press "Display" on the remote, what info appears on the 861 display?

Cheers

George

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
Hi George. It reads as follows:

"Micro 861 4.1 /4211"

Cards fitted are:
IA00
OA02
IE42
OE12


.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 22
Hello George.
I have now used the Legacy programme to click through, configure and save a test room correction profile. When launching room correction, I noted the message “product BIOS is Meridian 861, version 2.10” Is this relevant to the problem I’m having?

I still cannot configure, fetch or save via Mconfig.

Thank you for looking. Simon


.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 346
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 346
Does the firmware program work? Has the unit been retyped once yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (ChrisSwain), 1,174 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.127s Queries: 40 (0.091s) Memory: 0.8830 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 07:45:54 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS