logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 803
Likes: 7
Tony

With Roon you need:

1. A subscription to Roon (about £100 a year)
2. A computer on which to hold the Roon audio core software (your existing computer?)
3. An iPad or similar for secondary control (optional as it could be controlled from the computer but generally much nicer to use)
4. An MS200 audio endpoint (which connects to the F80 via optical digital)
5. Some form of storage if not held on the computer (eg a NAS)

If you go the Sooloos route you will need

1. A Sooloos audio core such as an MC200 (or possibly the new Sooloos core that will reside on a QNAP NAS)
2. An iPad for secondary control (optional as it could be controlled from your existing computer)
3. An MS200 audio endpoint (as before)
4. Some form of storage if not held on the computer (eg a NAS - but the QNAP option is the only one that will allow the Sooloos audio core to be installed actually on the NAS - this is not yet out but is expected shortly)

In both cases a wired network is recommended. The iPad is purely for control - the streaming is done via the Sooloos or Roon audio core software and picked up by the MS200 audio endpoint.


Streaming: Roon, NUC, QNAP869 NAS
2ch system: dCS Vivaldi, Audionet Stern, Audionet Heisenberg, Magico Q1
Retro system: 101/104/105, Red Rose Spirit
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 25
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 25
That's great thanks. I don't have an ethernet connection by the F80 , will it be ok to use a Devolo AV+ 500 homeplug.
Regards
Tony

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by TonyMc
I don't have an ethernet connection by the F80 , will it be ok to use a Devolo AV+ 500 homeplug.
Yes. Homeplugs are not ideal, but can get you out of a spot. I use a couple myself.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 25
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 25
Do you know of an alternative that would be better ?

Ratbert
Unregistered
Ratbert
Unregistered
I would suggest 600's as a minimum.

Russ

Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 25
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 25
I forgot to mention the house has Cat 6 wiring, if that helps the discussion.
Thanks Russ

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
Originally Posted by Ratbert
I would suggest 600's as a minimum.
Russ I appreciate your expertise in these things and I also see your dry sense of humour popping up every now and again! Are you serious about suggesting use of "600" rated home plugs with Sooloos. Does it need this much headroom? Or is there another reason for going for this spec'? I ask because I've never got my furthest flung MS200 (or the SBT that preceded it) to work with home plugs it kept falling off the network. I gave up in the end and reverted to the SBT on wifi with a better wifi set up (multi aerial Netgear job which seems to have done the trick).

Regards
Richard

Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 25
Harmless
Harmless
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 25
Thanks Richard

Ratbert
Unregistered
Ratbert
Unregistered
Hi Richard

I use 600 mbit home plugs and have no issues streaming to an MS600 over them, I was being quite serious in my post, the 600's are relatively new and far more stable than the older 500's.

Cheers

Russ

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
Thanks I might have to give them a go.

Interestingly my half-plan for the MS200 in question was to use it with the M80 in our bedroom in lieu of the SBT that's currently there but we do enjoy radio 4 comedies on iplayer which Sooloos doesn't really do. I'd also have to drag some more network cables down with the aerial lead. The good news being that the nature of our house with a couple of large rooms in the roof, and storage spaces to the sides under the eaves, does make dropping cables, at least to the floor below, a relatively achievable possibility. Two floors down to a room outside the footprint of the main house isn't achievable, unfortunately.

Regards

Richard

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (ChrisSwain), 1,174 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.154s Queries: 36 (0.084s) Memory: 0.8683 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 08:03:51 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS