logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT
Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
I've been a keen supporter of Roon supporting Squeezebox hardware. I have 3 or 4 devices and think it would make a great interface.

The more I have been thinking about it though, the less I think that Roon should use their limited resources for this task. The reason for this is:

* I imagine that everyday, there is less operating Squeezeboxes than the day before. They are a dying technology.

* If an improved alternative is released then a number of people will replace their devices and the need could change quite rapidly

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Tom




Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733
Likes: 88
Originally Posted by GMT
I imagine that everyday, there is less operating Squeezeboxes than the day before. They are a dying technology.
Actually, it might be the other way round with SqueezeLite which runs on loads of platforms, including Raspberry Pi.


Roon Developer and ex-moderator of this Forum
I am #25 in the HH1 photo of fame.
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT
Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
Thanks Joel - I was referring to the hardware. I assumed that Roon would replace the software so in your example that would be providing support for the Pi rather than the Squeezebox.

Cheers
Tom




Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 726
Likes: 15
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 726
Likes: 15
Firstly, addressing resources, and with my experience of Roon, they absolutely & unequivocally HAVE to dedicate more resources to Reliabilty / Robustness / Stability. That must be the primary goal. There are still way too many bugs....

Conversely, SqueezeBoxes are certainly now "frozen" technology, but they're still alive & kicking, and there are literally thousands of them in use. Note that the Touch can output 192KHz/24bit & the Duet is limited to 44/16 - but I'm not sure about the rest.

With respect to Roon + SqueezeBoxes, immediately opening the door to thousands of (reasonably tech-savvy) customers has to be an enticing prospect.
My main system is connected to Roon by ID41 card, but I have Touches & Duets in my Bedroom / Kitchen / Bathroom / Roof-terrace & Office - so - full disclosure - I don't want to pay 5*£500 to "update" my system with MS200's if I don't need to !


Trinnov Altitude CI-12; Meridian 861v8 + ID41 + UHD722v2 + 271, 2*SE-update DSP8.2Ks, SE-update DSP7200HC, 4*DSP3200, 4*DSP33, 218, 251
JVC DLA-NZ8; Panasonic TX-P60ZT60E; Lumagen Radiance Pro 5348
Roon [13i7 Win.11 NUC]; SKY Q; Oppo UDP-203EU; AppleTV / Fire Cube / Roku / NVidia
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816
Likes: 87
Depends on how hard it is to do.

The Roon guys have a very good understanding of the tech involved.

The number of SB3's and SBT's etc out there is huge. Order of magnitude more than Sooloos hardware.

I think if they can provide support for it then it would be awesome.

The more we can use one platform officially to drive legacy kit and new kit the better.


Rgds,
Nick


Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Senior Shouting Officer
Senior Shouting Officer
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,492
Totally agree with what's being said. If it's easy, Roon should do it.

The Sooloos 'extra zone' price is still too high (and also not intrinsically wifi capable)


Main system - Sources (Kodi-HTPC, Vero 4k, FireTV, Sat) into Trinnov Altitude 32 (8-16) (+Roon), Trinnov Amplitude 8 amp & Vivid Audio (Giya G3, V1.5) and REL Stentor III speakers. Others: F80 + Raspberry Pi and other Pi systems.
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT
Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
Originally Posted by Rolski
My main system is connected to Roon by ID41 card, but I have Touches & Duets in my Bedroom / Kitchen / Bathroom / Roof-terrace & Office - so - full disclosure - I don't want to pay 5*£500 to "update" my system with MS200's if I don't need to !
I'm totally with you, but what would you buy if one of the Sboxes failed?

Originally Posted by ncpl
Depends on how hard it is to do.
The more we can use one platform officially to drive legacy kit and new kit the better.
That makes some sense but it also means that you pretty much have to continue supporting this kit with each enhancement, which will increase the development costs, which in turn could slow down the release of enhancements.

Maybe there's a market research exercise that needs to be undertaken first.

Originally Posted by Cliff.
Totally agree with what's being said. If it's easy, Roon should do it.

The Sooloos 'extra zone' price is still too high (and also not intrinsically wifi capable)
That does assume that the Sooloos is the only alternative!

It's a shame that Slim Devices sold out. I'd bet a new Squeezebox would be fantastic with the more recent technology improvements.

Cheers
Tom


Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 726
Likes: 15
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 726
Likes: 15
Originally Posted by GMT
Originally Posted by Rolski
I have Touches & Duets in my Bedroom / Kitchen / Bathroom / Roof-terrace & Office - so - full disclosure - I don't want to pay 5*£500 to "update" my system with MS200's if I don't need to !
I'm totally with you, but what would you buy if one of the Sboxes failed?
A Raspberry Pi2, or similar - a "dumb" endpoint.

Specifically regarding SqueezeBoxes & LogitechMediaServer, of course the users have to decide if they're prepared to relinquish the huge flexibility & plug-in library that gives it it's extraordinary practicality & usefuless, over a very slick (but - currently - far more limited) user interface.
Perhaps the Roon team can do something clever so that both Roon & LMS can access the SqueezeBoxes simultaneously... or maybe most SBS users would be quite happy to completely ditch LMS... who knows?


Trinnov Altitude CI-12; Meridian 861v8 + ID41 + UHD722v2 + 271, 2*SE-update DSP8.2Ks, SE-update DSP7200HC, 4*DSP3200, 4*DSP33, 218, 251
JVC DLA-NZ8; Panasonic TX-P60ZT60E; Lumagen Radiance Pro 5348
Roon [13i7 Win.11 NUC]; SKY Q; Oppo UDP-203EU; AppleTV / Fire Cube / Roku / NVidia
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
GMT
Offline
Working on the ultimate question
Working on the ultimate question
Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,660
Likes: 30
That's a good point / another reason why not to develop the product!

* Roon does not currently offer the current functionality that Squeezebox LMS supports which may discourage dedicated Squeezebox users from migrating.

Cheers
Tom


Main: G61SL, 218, HD621, 2*7200SE, 7200HCSE, M6s, DSW, Apple TV 4K, NUC (Roon server)
Secondary: Wiim Pro, 3200, Audio Core 200
F80
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655
Likes: 1
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655
Likes: 1
I'm super keen to use roon, but have a SBT .. and use it wirelessly.
I would like a better user interface than LMS, especially as it does tidal no real justice
To do so, I would have to use a USB to SPDIF adaptor on my main computer and run a long digital line to my Devialet .. not a missonł, but wouldn't prefer the wireless to the SBT
So I too wish roon would support the SBT.


Roon/Tidal, SBT, Trinnov ST2 , Twin Devialet D premiers, Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits, dedicated and treated room.
Meridian gear: 568.2mm and DSP5000's acting as TV speakers.
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 65
Likes: 1
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 65
Likes: 1
I would LOVE it if Roon supported the newly announced Chromecast Audio as an endpoint. A £30 wireless doodad with optical output? Bargain while I save for a Meridian endpoint.


Cinema: DSP5000 (18 bit), DSP5000C, DSP33, 568.1, Quad L-Sub
Music: DSP5000 (24 bit), MS200 + Reviver, Roon

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (MalcolmW, SpaceJS), 273 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,816
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,204
Posts297,194
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.065s Queries: 37 (0.037s) Memory: 0.8811 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 15:04:47 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS