logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#239379 2015-08-30 23:06
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Hey Guys,

last night I went into the theatre room to watch a movie and there was no audio coming from the 861. I tried most of the other sources and still no audio. The HD621 was working on the video side and switching fine.

I connected up the PC and pulled the config file from the 861. It somehow only had 1 of my sources (4K server) and the other 4 had disappeared. I re-loaded the 'good' file back into it and still no audio. The strange thing was that it still had my source names coming up on the display but they were missing totally from the config file etc.

I then turned the power off on the 861 and back on and there was audio on 2 of the sources. Then when I switched sources there wasn't any audio at all again.
I knew my config file was gone again as when I turned the 861 back on it started at the factory volume '65' and I have mine set at 57 etc.

I decided to just re-install the firmware and then my config file and it was fine for the rest of the night.

Now this morning when I powered on the room and watched something it worked fine. I turned it all off and went out to lunch and came back and then it wouldn't play audio again expect via the Oppo. Then I listened to an album and then the other sources were back with audio. The startup volume was back to 65 again....

I have no idea on why the 861 lost 4 of the 5 sources totally yesterday but after the firmware I thought it would be all ok. Now losing the startup volume isn't anything to lose sleep over but it's a pain having to lower the volume everytime you turn it on etc.

I have had and am put in again the latest firmware v8 firmware (8.4.6?) in it as supplied by M. Since first installing that latest firmware it has worked flawlessly for about 3 months until now.

Any insight to this problem would be greatly appreciated.


Thanks
Craig


Theatre Room: Sony 4K VW500ES, 861v8+ID41, HD621, DSP6000's, DSP5000C, DSP5000's, Oppo 205, Sat STB, XBox One X, Stewart Cinemascope Screen, QNAP TVS 1271U-RP (96TB) with Sooloos/Roon core pkg.

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Ok well over the last few days after sending the config file to the 861 it has worked fine and starting on volume 57 as I have set it at so fingers crossed it was just a hiccup.


Theatre Room: Sony 4K VW500ES, 861v8+ID41, HD621, DSP6000's, DSP5000C, DSP5000's, Oppo 205, Sat STB, XBox One X, Stewart Cinemascope Screen, QNAP TVS 1271U-RP (96TB) with Sooloos/Roon core pkg.

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Now it's doing it again but this time the audio is gone but the sources are still there etc. I re-loaded the firmware again and then used MConfig to re-load the config file to both the 861 and HD621 but still no audio.

I had it on one of the sources (my TiVo) and after about 5 mins the sound came on but it had like a digital interference in it etc. sounded all funny etc. Then I changed sources and tried all of them and nothing again until it appeared again about 30 mins later until I changed sources again.

I think the PSU may be failing again after the 861 has been on all day.
Meridian gave me a new PSU awhile ago and the only thing I do differently to most others is I turn my 861 (and HD621 + all speakers etc.) completely off after they are in standby every night before I go to bed. I have a master power switch in my theatre room that when I turn it off it turns the power points off to all speakers and to a power point in behind the rack that powers the 861/HD621, Xbox etc.

I cannot see how that would affect the PSU since the units are all in standby but maybe over time day after day it is doing something to it etc. I guess the HD621 really doesn't go into standby so maybe turning that off at the power point every day might not be great for that also.


Theatre Room: Sony 4K VW500ES, 861v8+ID41, HD621, DSP6000's, DSP5000C, DSP5000's, Oppo 205, Sat STB, XBox One X, Stewart Cinemascope Screen, QNAP TVS 1271U-RP (96TB) with Sooloos/Roon core pkg.

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 485
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 485

After your post HERE detailed similar saga, I think you have power on/off gremlins or spikes not playing well with M gear.

I have had no issue on both my 861 after power supply swap.

Good luck!


Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Hey CoolKish well I did ask awhile ago when I built the room and nobody thought there would be an issue with killing the power points when all is standby every day.
I have it all going through a Furman power conditioner that eliminates spikes etc and provides clean power to the gear.

I can of course keep the M gear powered with the other dedicated line going to the rack which powers my cable box and TiVo so they would have power going to them 24/7 if needed but even an M tech said that wouldn't worry it etc.

The thing is that it did the same thing 10 weeks ago and then came good after putting the firmware in again. This time that didn't help at all.


Anyway I woke up this morning as we have our biggest motor race of the year on all day and of course I watch it. I came in the room and turned on the switch. Went into all the sources etc and NO sound at all. I was sitting here on the PC writing this reply to you and after about 10 mins suddenly the internal relay in the 861 clicked as it does and the sound is back on etc.

This is what confuses me. The 861/HD621 has the same config file they always have and it couldn't be that the 861 needed to 'warm up' etc as it was on all day yesterday when it 'went off' etc. Also the 861 never get's hot etc in the rack. there is plenty of air flow and it's cool all the time etc so it's not over heating etc.

** EDIT 1:
The only thing I can see really after playing with it today is that when it does lose all audio and you switch sources there is no clicking of the relay so although it does switch to the source on the display it isn't engaging the audio part.
I'm not sure what card does this etc but I will have to get onto M service again next week and send the appropriate card over for repair/replacement.

** EDIT 2:
I have taken out the cards and I cannot see any burnt marks and anything out of the ordinary except for the same solder joints I posted a pic about in the other thread etc.
The audio worked fine all day as I didn't changed sources etc so after the race finished this afternoon I decided to change sources to see what happens and of course there was relay that clicks in the 861 so no audio on all sources again.

I guess for whatever reason it is not locking onto the signal and no relay click.




The mystery continues.....

Last edited by Wiked; 2015-10-11 08:10.

Theatre Room: Sony 4K VW500ES, 861v8+ID41, HD621, DSP6000's, DSP5000C, DSP5000's, Oppo 205, Sat STB, XBox One X, Stewart Cinemascope Screen, QNAP TVS 1271U-RP (96TB) with Sooloos/Roon core pkg.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 343
Likes: 3
The-Repair-Shop.com
Hitchhiker
The-Repair-Shop.com
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 343
Likes: 3
Change the PSU. Best to put in the Linear PSU.

Do not turn the unit on and off. Relay clicks are from the analog output boards, the audio runs off of the +/- 12Vdc lines. Most SMPS failures are on the +12Vdc line side which causes many more problems when it fails.

Sometimes it fails and outputs 24 Vdc on the line and lots of current, that is when you get smoke and a crispy PSU.

Marc


Marc Koval
The Repair Shop
404-542-4902
marc<at>the-repair-shop.com
https://www.the-repair-shop.com/
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Marc,

Thanks for the reply. I always get the relay click and run full digital etc. I don't use the analogue cards in the 861. Maybe I should remove them to stop the annoying clicks?

I came home today to watch the F1 race and turned it on and of course had to wait about 5mins for it to have audio etc.
When it did the dreaded static (previous bad PSU) was back again so yes it seems like the new PSU Meridian UK gave me a few months ago has given up the ghost like the previous one.

I did ask M if by me turning the power feed off every night would hurt it but I was told it would be fine as the unit was in standby but from going through 2 PSU's now in just over 18 months it would have to be the case I guess.

I will now keep power to it all the time through another Forman power conditioner and leave it in Standby when not in use etc.

I would love to put a linear PSU in it but there aren't any dealers here and not sure where I can just buy a PSU as I'm not in a position at this point to upgrade to v8.


Theatre Room: Sony 4K VW500ES, 861v8+ID41, HD621, DSP6000's, DSP5000C, DSP5000's, Oppo 205, Sat STB, XBox One X, Stewart Cinemascope Screen, QNAP TVS 1271U-RP (96TB) with Sooloos/Roon core pkg.

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
I have now taken the 861 out of the rack as obviously having no audio coming through most of the time doesn't do it for me.

I have connected my 3 front DSP's up to the HD621 directly until such time as Marc can get back to me or a dealer in the UK on the cost of a linear PSU for it as I guess as all who have done it say it's the way to go etc.






Theatre Room: Sony 4K VW500ES, 861v8+ID41, HD621, DSP6000's, DSP5000C, DSP5000's, Oppo 205, Sat STB, XBox One X, Stewart Cinemascope Screen, QNAP TVS 1271U-RP (96TB) with Sooloos/Roon core pkg.

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
OK so I did buy a new SMPS locally as it was only £50 so it was worth a shot before spending more money on this.

I installed it today and wound the 5V V1 line up to 5.20V and still no audio. I was a bit frustrated to say the least so I decided to pull all the cards I wasn't using (2 x OA18, IA04 & ID40) and turned it back and to my joy it worked fine again.

I plugged the ID40 back in first and tried again and still worked.....then the IA04 and all good still.....then the #2 OA18 card and still working but of course the dreaded relay clicks I get all the time. Then the #1 OA18 card and still all working so I assume my dramas might just have been that one of the card that need reseating etc.

I have now pulled my OA18 cards as I don't really need them as the bass from the DSP6K's are fine for my room and I am selling my Velodyne. I have just put in a couple of double blanking plates in their place.

I now have a spare PSU I will just keep until I upgrade in the future.


Theatre Room: Sony 4K VW500ES, 861v8+ID41, HD621, DSP6000's, DSP5000C, DSP5000's, Oppo 205, Sat STB, XBox One X, Stewart Cinemascope Screen, QNAP TVS 1271U-RP (96TB) with Sooloos/Roon core pkg.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,358
Likes: 2
Glad it's all OK now!


Ex-moderator
Sitting room: dCS Network Bridge, 818v3, HD621, 8kSE
Library: dCS Rossini Apex DAC/Clock, Clearaudio Performance Wood, Audio Research PH2, Mjölnir KGST, Mjölnir PureBipolar
SWMBO Room: 210, D33
Kitchen: RPi/RoonBridge, Genelec 6010 actives
Desk: Merging Anubis
Server: Roon/ROCK/NUC

Headphones: Stax SR-X9000, Stax SR-007, Stax SR-404LE, Audeze LCD-X...

Oldest audio file: 1889 Edison cylinder
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 135
Likes: 1
So am I. No more clicking from the analogue cards so I am happy about that too.


Theatre Room: Sony 4K VW500ES, 861v8+ID41, HD621, DSP6000's, DSP5000C, DSP5000's, Oppo 205, Sat STB, XBox One X, Stewart Cinemascope Screen, QNAP TVS 1271U-RP (96TB) with Sooloos/Roon core pkg.


Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (ChrisSwain), 635 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,182
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.080s Queries: 37 (0.054s) Memory: 0.8798 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-08 18:59:23 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS