logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 197
Likes: 1
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 197
Likes: 1
I find that the input device has a large impact on the 861 volume setting.

Went to a Tivo Romio last year (from a Series 3) and I had to raise my normal TV listening from 60 to 68.

For other sources (Oppo and Squeezebox) upper 50s is fine.

So, in my system, seems to be source dependent.



861v6, Oppo83 (3xSpdif Mod), Wiim Ultra running Squeezelite, Tivo Edge, Apple TV v4 with Key Digtial Audio Extractor, Von Schweikert fronts and center, Triad in ceiling sides and rears, Aerial SW12, Orchard Audio Starkrimson 3 channel and Sunfire Cinema Grand amps
Ratbert
Unregistered
Ratbert
Unregistered
Gages

I think most of us are in the same situation.

Russ

Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 105
Meridian Partner
Hitchhiker
Meridian Partner
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 105
I know the feeling, when I have been watching a DVD or Bluray the volume is quite low at night for me but it is easy to get caught out when you flick back to TV mode and you have left babe-station on and it comes blaring out almost max volume.

Those channels are always so loud.

Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 276
Likes: 4
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 276
Likes: 4
That happened to a friend once...


Lounge: DSP33's, MS200, QNAP (Storage and Core), G68D, HD421
Family Room: DSP5000
Kitchen: F80
Portable: Explorer2
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 137
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 137
87 (absolute) corresponds to THX Ref (OdBr). At that level, a 16 bit PCM input of -20 dBfs provides a calibrated 85 dB SPL at the listening position (note I mentioned calibrating the system).

I find I listen to films at approx -6 dBr (81 absolute) in a small room approx 2 1/2 meters from the LCRs, and most music at -20-22 dBr (67-65 absolute). Occasionally music is listened to at lower levels, particularly with CDs crammed up near 0 dBfs in encoded level.


Meridian Advocate
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 396
Likes: 2
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 396
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Still-one
Hector

What I am asking, when people in this thread have indicated a value are they referring to 75dB on a SPL or are they indicating the 75 that is shown in the display of their Meridian CD/Pre.

Those are two different values.
Good point. Volume display setting is relative and therefore is not a valid comparison from system to system. After all, each system may be calibrated differently and will be louder in 5.2 than stereo for the same volume setting.

I calibrate my main speakers at least 3dB down in order to hear the surrounds and subs better. Therefore, my volume setting will tend to be higher than others who calibrate all their speakers at the same level.

On the other hand, an SPL meter is an absolute value. I listen around 70 dB.


DSP6000, DSP5200, DSP5500VC, P300W, SW1600, G68, 568.2, HD621, G57, G55, Oppo BDP-105.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Maz), 468 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,815
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,184
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.052s Queries: 28 (0.031s) Memory: 0.8503 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 02:47:14 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS