|
|
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 275
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 275 |
I got a Stereo Dirac recently, and have done the measurements etc. and created the filters. I have created two paths for my Sonos - First, Sonos RCA -> 861v8 (MRC) -> 8k, and Second, Sonos Optical -> Dirac -> 861v8 No MRC -> 8k2. makes it easy for me to do an A/B.
Two standout comments:
1. The Dirac drops the output level by a massive amount. I would say 12dB to 15dB. This cut is in place even if filters are bypassed. I understand this is by design. Probably they use boost filters also instead of the MRC's cut only approach. But net effect is that the energy level drops dramatically.
2. There is no scope to fiddle at filter level with the Dirac. One has to set a response curve, and that's all one can do. The Dirac generates filters to bring the output as close to the response curve as possible. However it operates in the entire 20-20 range.
The overall feeling I have is that the 12-15dB attenuation makes the Dirac unviable for me. I like to listen to music loud, and with the Dirac, even 99 is not adequate.
The sound is probably better probably because I need some correction in the 300-500Hz range, which MRC can't do. Had it not burdened me with the attenuation I might have seriously considered the Dirac for music.
Also, the unit can't be sold. Of course it can, but the associated software license is personal and cannot be transferred. Also a matter to be considered.
Wish I had known some of this before I shelled out!
Oppo UDP-203, Sonos, Nvidia Streamer, Fire TV 4K, Trinnov Altitude32 into Dan D'Agostino Momentum into Wilson Alexx, Paradigm Sub 1, Monitor Audio In Wall surrounds, JVC NX9
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,053 |
Wow! 12-18 dB drop! I wasn't aware this was part of the Dirac protocol. Does their literature discuss this and the reason?
Ken
Main: G68J, 5K2s, 5Ks, HSU subs, Pio 151FD, Dish VP722, Roku, Wadia I70, Anti Mode Dual Core, Oppo 103D Vanity Lite Office: SBT, Berkeley Alpha DAC 2/MQA, Magico S3 Mk II, Boulder 2060, Lumin U1 Mini streamer, Roon.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 275
Hitchhiker
|
|
Hitchhiker
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 275 |
I had reached out to them when I saw the drop, and got a brief response stating it was no defect but a design feature. Later I found an FAQ item confirming it.
I am inferring that this is to provide headroom for boost filters.
Oppo UDP-203, Sonos, Nvidia Streamer, Fire TV 4K, Trinnov Altitude32 into Dan D'Agostino Momentum into Wilson Alexx, Paradigm Sub 1, Monitor Audio In Wall surrounds, JVC NX9
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
|
|
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88 |
Wow. Just -3dB of resolution loss was audible (from an AQ perspective) with older 861 firmware (vs. the 568.2/v2.5) before Meridian fixed the Direct and Stereo presets in v8.0. And with no adjustable gain for digital inputs in the 861, I can't help thinking that you are throwing away a massive amount of resolution.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655 Likes: 1
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 655 Likes: 1 |
Its an 8dB drop, the Dirac will boost broad based dips and needs overhead. Its actually easy to ameliorate this: 1. Make sure that the volume in Dirac is turned to full. 2. Raise the WHOLE target curve upwards by dragging all the points upward, there will be much less attenuation. There are handles at the 20 and 20k edges of the filter design, dragging them allows you to limit correction to any freq range. Dirac user manual look at pages 19 and 20 check out the whole gain thing in the manual and page 29 for target curve design. It is an exceptional program, I use the miniDSP version in my system.
Roon/Tidal, SBT, Trinnov ST2 , Twin Devialet D premiers, Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits, dedicated and treated room. Meridian gear: 568.2mm and DSP5000's acting as TV speakers.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 958 Likes: 5
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 958 Likes: 5 |
Haven't had time to read it, but yesterday I received my copy of the July Stereophile where Kal Rubinson, "Music in the Round" columnist and HH, reviews the new Dirac equipped Emotiva processor. A quick peek at the conclusion showed it promised to be favorable(for Emotiva and Dirac) in its detailed comments.
James NC1: 861v8, ID41, 218, 251(to outdoors), DSP8000SEUG, 7200SEC, DSP520 rears, Apple TV, DirecTV, Oppo BD103, QNAP251, Roon NC2-M7005, Triad Silver Speakers,Acurus Amps
FL1: 861v4, ID40, 218, MS200, DSP8000SEs, DSP7200SEC, DSP5000s, DirecTv, AppleTv, OppoBD103, QNAP469, Roon FL2: Marantz 7005, 251, M60s,60C,33s, Oppo BDP-93,MS200, Roon
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 687 Likes: 2
Paranoid android
|
|
Paranoid android
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 687 Likes: 2 |
We need something like this with comparable features in the 8x8 reference series.
Roon, Technics SL10 turntable, Meridian 218, Jolida tube DAC, Nuforce STA 200 Amp and passive Swallow Acoustics ALS2 speakers
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88
Don't Panic!
|
|
Don't Panic!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 12,733 Likes: 88 |
Yes, the absence of two-channel MRC in the 8x8 is IMO unacceptable at the price point. The need to spend more than the 8x8 to achieve room correction in a two-channel system is ludicrous.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816 Likes: 87
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
|
|
President of the Imperial Galactic Government
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,816 Likes: 87 |
100% agree. That MRC was available in 861v4 and G68 years ago and nothing for the top-for-the-house 2channel setup is a serious gap in the line up. It is long overdue.
Rgds, Nick
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895 |
Haven't had time to read it, but yesterday I received my copy of the July Stereophile where Kal Rubinson, "Music in the Round" columnist and HH, reviews the new Dirac equipped Emotiva processor. A quick peek at the conclusion showed it promised to be favorable(for Emotiva and Dirac) in its detailed comments. Have you read it? There is a direct comparison between M's MQA and Emotives dirac sound, using the Ravel demo used in some MQA demo's (sadly not mine :-( ) I will leave the punch line for those who buy the magazine or wait online.
Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC. Secondary: MC600 (whole house). Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE. Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 958 Likes: 5
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 958 Likes: 5 |
I have read it. Props to Kal for his ability to move the dial on retail pricing.
James NC1: 861v8, ID41, 218, 251(to outdoors), DSP8000SEUG, 7200SEC, DSP520 rears, Apple TV, DirecTV, Oppo BD103, QNAP251, Roon NC2-M7005, Triad Silver Speakers,Acurus Amps
FL1: 861v4, ID40, 218, MS200, DSP8000SEs, DSP7200SEC, DSP5000s, DirecTv, AppleTv, OppoBD103, QNAP469, Roon FL2: Marantz 7005, 251, M60s,60C,33s, Oppo BDP-93,MS200, Roon
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895
Pan-dimensional being
|
|
Pan-dimensional being
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 895 |
I think your giving Kal far too much credit, if your giving Kal any credit at all.. This has been a highly anticipated product, going back to 2013, when it was in the $1499 range. Then mid summer last year, word broke it would be delayed and rumors of its exceeding $1,999 started. To be fair, I have been pretty dismissive of Emotiva, but to show up with full DIRAC + integration with a M like room correction system (REW) and apparently sound decent, is impressive. And certainly warrants a look. I think about what the first Oppo DVD players cost, and their reputation and price today. I suspect that Emotiva will see it price point increase for a while, if they keep this up. Link to historical pricing. Any event, pretty assuming/amazing that they can offer all this for the price of a HD621.
Primary: MD600, MS200 (SpeakerLink to AES), Trinnov ST-2, Ayre V6-xe, Salk SS8 3x LRC. Secondary: MC600 (whole house). Zone one: 568.2, G57, MS200, Spatial Hologram M2SE. Zone 2-6 (Awaiting assignment).
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
1,008
guests, and
2
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums18
Topics31,203
Posts297,191
Members5,503
| |
Most Online4,788 May 22nd, 2026
|
|
|
|