logo

Google Search  |  Meridian Systems  |  Meridian Streaming  |  Restaurant  |  WiKi  |  Duncan's Meridian Info  |  Board Rules  |  Restaurant Rules
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 188
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 188
I know I've posted on this topic before, but please bear with me:-

I was delighted a couple of years ago, when Sooloos suddenly appeared able to access some BBC Radio programmes through (I assumed) iPlayer. However I didn't test it extensively.

So can anyone explain (or hazard a guess) as to why I can access some programmes and not others?

For example, doing a search on The Archers (sorry!) brings up a host of options including the previously broadcast episodes which are currently on iPlayer...

...whereas searching for Prog Rock with Charles Hazlewood (again a previously broadcast programme currently available on iPlayer) doesn't return any search results?

I'm puzzled as to what data Sooloos is accessing when playing 'historic' as opposed to real time radio broadcasts, and whether the availability of a particular programme is predictable?

Thanks

Neil



Main listening room - DSP5200SE
Satellite(!) listening room - DSP3200, AC200, 818v3, 500, 504, MC200, Humax Foxsat HDR (for recording radio), Slingbox Solo
Townshend Elite Rock Turntable, Nakamichi RX-202E Cassette (for old times' sake)
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
I've never heard of iPlayer on Sooloos, are you sure this isn't a Podcast?


Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
I'm interested in the answers to this from the experts. I only ever managed to get as far as accessing some stuff through tunein and I think that what's available there is those programmes that get issued as podcasts? Having said that not even all of those (there are quite a few these days) are there, I've never previously managed to find "The Infinite Monkey Cage" for instance, I've just tried it again now and It turns up, if you click on recent episodes there's lots there, so maybe it does have more of the podcast stuff than I give it credit for?

I resorted to keeping one or two squeezebox touches in operation for my dose of Radio 4 iplayer, getting very miffed when that stopped working then extremely pleased with myself when I got brave enough to follow the advice on how to get it back working again! Sorry to go OT but I even woke my wife to tell her, funnily she wasn't as pleased as I was.

Richard

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 188
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by dpstjp
I've never heard of iPlayer on Sooloos, are you sure this isn't a Podcast?
I've no idea!

I thought you could only access podcasts you had subscribed to, and I don't currently subscribe to any (and certainly not through Sooloos, should such a thing be possible).


Main listening room - DSP5200SE
Satellite(!) listening room - DSP3200, AC200, 818v3, 500, 504, MC200, Humax Foxsat HDR (for recording radio), Slingbox Solo
Townshend Elite Rock Turntable, Nakamichi RX-202E Cassette (for old times' sake)
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
Paranoid android
Paranoid android
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 758
Likes: 20
You can subscribe to podcasts on the BBC website but you can also just search for them and download. Some expire after a set time and others do not. I think the "iplayer" stuff that turns up on tunein is likely to be podcasts, where they're hosted I don't know? Could tunein be simply be signposting / linking to the BBC podcasts?

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 188
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 188
Ah! Finally this is beginning to make sense.

Thank you Richard. I think you've nailed it. I've just checked and the Hazlewood documentary isn't available by podcast, whereas clearly The Archers is...

Right, I'm going to amend my question slightly. This will seem very noddy to the techies here, but here goes:-

I would like to be able to listen to iPlayer programmes through my Meridian system, and I have now discovered that this is not possible via Sooloos. I've never previously hooked up my PC to my amp, but presumably this should achieve the desired result?

Some quick pointers, please, on the best way to connect these 2 boxes (a Dell PC and my 818), and which sockets I should plug your recommended connector, and what, if any, configuration will be needed at the 818 end.

Thanks

Neil smile


Main listening room - DSP5200SE
Satellite(!) listening room - DSP3200, AC200, 818v3, 500, 504, MC200, Humax Foxsat HDR (for recording radio), Slingbox Solo
Townshend Elite Rock Turntable, Nakamichi RX-202E Cassette (for old times' sake)
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Vogon Civil Servant
Vogon Civil Servant
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,013
Likes: 1
Try the USB input.


Sooloos, Roon, G series (with LPS upgrade), 800 series (with LPS upgrade), HD621, AC200, Prime and PS, DSPs old and new.

Purdeys, Moke, Leica, 'Blad. Only the best.
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 169
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 169
- can you get iPlayer on your Humax receiver?


Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 188
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by dpstjp
Try the USB input.
Ah, yes - I'd not thought of that.

Presumably I can just plug it into any spare USB port on the PC? And given that the 818 only has one (I think!), then even I should be able to get that right.

Will I have to do some configuration to make the 818 work?

And are longish (c. 5m) USB connectors much of a muchness or can snake oil be poured over that choice too...?

Thanks

Neil


Main listening room - DSP5200SE
Satellite(!) listening room - DSP3200, AC200, 818v3, 500, 504, MC200, Humax Foxsat HDR (for recording radio), Slingbox Solo
Townshend Elite Rock Turntable, Nakamichi RX-202E Cassette (for old times' sake)
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 188
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 188
Originally Posted by Fitcaz
- can you get iPlayer on your Humax receiver?
Interesting point? I've not tried that. Actually I incorporated the Humax into my setup with the specific intention of recording radio programmes.

3 or 4 years later, it's hard disk remains untouched. blush

Anyone in the market for a mint Humax recorder? laugh

Neil


Main listening room - DSP5200SE
Satellite(!) listening room - DSP3200, AC200, 818v3, 500, 504, MC200, Humax Foxsat HDR (for recording radio), Slingbox Solo
Townshend Elite Rock Turntable, Nakamichi RX-202E Cassette (for old times' sake)
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Hooloovoo
Hooloovoo
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 3,140
Likes: 24
Neil,

you knew better than to ask that didn't you?

Available from Amazon

I use an Audioquest Forest cable because it is flexible, the right length, a pretty colour and it works.


In the spirit of Spinaltap, I would like to confirm that I am not involved in the corrupt theft of a global sport.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 340
Likes: 3
Bee Offline
Hitchhiker
Hitchhiker
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 340
Likes: 3
LOL!! cool


Thanks, Edd
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carl, Duncs, ncpl 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (swpnt), 170 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kiran1103, Tony999, PhilP, Grover, Humberto
5,503 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Gemeni 7
Top Posters
VirusKiller 12,733
ncpl 8,814
Carl 8,505
Fiddler 8,364
Ian 7,950
Forum Statistics
Forums18
Topics31,202
Posts297,171
Members5,503
Most Online4,788
May 22nd, 2026
Meridian  |  Media Centre  |  Support  |  Firmware Release Notes  |  RSS Systems  |  RSS Streaming  |  RSS Restaurant

Website Provided by Mr Tech Guy - Resolute Audio Visual Limited © 2026

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1
(Release build 20251126)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 8.5.11 Page Time: 0.065s Queries: 40 (0.031s) Memory: 0.8858 MB (Peak: 2.2172 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-06 08:00:54 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS